Removing and Installing Gen I Seat Backs

Flyng Low

VCA Member
Reaction score
This is an illustrated How-To summary using the best of previous posts and my recent experience. The seat back
[image]http://gallery.viperclub.org/showphoto.php?photo=6489&sort=1&cat=500&page=1[/image]
is attached with a thick wire around the edge
[image]http://gallery.viperclub.org/showphoto.php?photo=6491&sort=1&cat=500&page=1[/image]
that goes under 5 clips
[image]http://gallery.viperclub.org/showphoto.php?photo=6490&sort=1&cat=500&page=1[/image]
in the seat rear shell.
[image]http://gallery.viperclub.org/showphoto.php?photo=6492&sort=1&cat=500&page=1[/image]
I recommend that you do NOT FORCE the seat back sideways to get the wire out from under the clips. The clips are only held on with plastic rivets and you can break a clip off the shell if not careful.
[image]http://gallery.viperclub.org/showphoto.php?photo=6485&sort=1&cat=500&page=1[/image]
Fortunately I learned this on an old surplus seat. Instead, you should make a seat removal and installation tool out of an old flat-blade screwdriver. File, grind or cut a notch in the blade so you can control the fat wire.
[image]http://gallery.viperclub.org/showphoto.php?photo=6493&sort=1&cat=500&page=1[/image]
Don't worry about metal hurting the seats because you are working near the foam and plastic in the back of the seat, not near the leather.

SEAT BACK REMOVAL:
1. Start by removing the seat bottom to get to the lumbar bladder hose hold-downs. Use a flashlight to find a thin wire that laps under the front of the lower seat frame. I think it's easier to release when you are sitting in the seat to press the front down. Use the Seat Removal Tool to pry the wire down so it releases backward. Get out and pull the seat up and out.
2. Use a screwdriver and wrench to loosen the screw at the front toward the center of the car holding the bracket holding the lumbar bladder hose toward the center of the car. Clip the wire tie that holds the bladder hose toward
the rear of the seat.
3. To remove the seat back, pull a seat bolster toward the center of the seat and use a flashlight to see the rivets holding the clip. Once you see the clip and the wire, then use your Removal Tool to push the wire down slightly and swing it out from under the clip.
4. Then do the same thing up near the shoulder on the same side. Find the rivets, then the clip and the wire. Use the Tool again to release that wire.
5. Then swing the seat back toward the released clips to release the two clips on the other side (and/or use the tool again on the other side clips.
6. The final clip is at the very top of the seat, above the shoulder belt slot. Pull the very top of the seat away from the shell and use the flashlight to see the top rivets, then the clip and wire. Use the tool to guide the wire down and out from under the clip.

SEAT BACK INSTALLATION:
1. Place the seat back in position in the shell, so the top wire is on top of the top bracket. Holding the seat in place, use the Tool to push the wire down, over, then back under the clip.
2. Then do the shoulder clips the same way, one at a time.
3. Do the same to the two waist clips behind the bolsters.
4. Use a new plastic wire tie to attach the lumbar bladder hose to the rear clip that holds the inside flat elastic strap.
5. Put the hose in position under the clip on the loosened front inside shell screw, then re-tighten that screw.
6. Re-install the seat bottom by putting a 12" wire or heavy cord through the hold down wire. then put the seat rear in place and thread the wire/cord down the inside and under the front of the seat shell. Lower the seat bottom into position. Sit in it and pull down and forward on the wire/cord until the wire clips onto the bottom of the seat shell. Pull out the wire/cord at the side.

Hope this helps others, as other forum how-to's have helped me. Working together here...

OP
OP
Flyng Low

Flyng Low

VCA Member
Reaction score
Shoot! :confused: I'll keep trying to get the pictures in here. You can go to the "9 Photos" icon on the left of the post to see them for now. .... Curt

OP
OP
Flyng Low

Flyng Low

VCA Member
Reaction score
This is an illustrated How-To summary using the best of previous posts and my recent experience. The seat back
4629SeatBack-med.JPG

is attached with a thick wire around the edge
4629SeatWire-med.JPG

that goes under 5 clips
4629SeatBracket-med.JPG

in the seat rear shell.
4629ShellBack-med.JPG

I recommend that you do NOT FORCE the seat back sideways to get the wire out from under the clips. The clips are only held on with plastic rivets and you can break a clip off the shell if not careful.
4629BracketBroken-med.JPG

Fortunately I learned this on an old surplus seat. Instead, you should make a seat removal and installation tool out of an old flat-blade screwdriver. File, grind or cut a notch in the blade so you can control the fat wire.
4629WireTool-med.JPG

Don't worry about metal hurting the seats because you are working near the foam and plastic in the back of the seat, not near the leather.

SEAT BACK REMOVAL:
1. Start by removing the seat bottom to get to the lumbar bladder hose hold-downs. Use a flashlight to find a thin wire that laps under the front of the lower seat frame. I think it's easier to release when you are sitting in the seat to press the front down. Use the Seat Removal Tool to pry the wire down so it releases backward. Get out and pull the seat up and out.
2. Use a screwdriver and wrench to loosen the screw at the front toward the center of the car holding the bracket holding the lumbar bladder hose toward the center of the car. Clip the wire tie that holds the bladder hose toward
the rear of the seat.
3. To remove the seat back, pull a seat bolster toward the center of the seat and use a flashlight to see the rivets holding the clip. Once you see the clip and the wire, then use your Removal Tool to push the wire down slightly and swing it out from under the clip.
4. Then do the same thing up near the shoulder on the same side. Find the rivets, then the clip and the wire. Use the Tool again to release that wire.
5. Then swing the seat back toward the released clips to release the two clips on the other side (and/or use the tool again on the other side clips.
6. The final clip is at the very top of the seat, above the shoulder belt slot. Pull the very top of the seat away from the shell and use the flashlight to see the top rivets, then the clip and wire. Use the tool to guide the wire down and out from under the clip.

SEAT BACK INSTALLATION:
1. Place the seat back in position in the shell, so the top wire is on top of the top bracket. Holding the seat in place, use the Tool to push the wire down, over, then back under the clip.
2. Then do the shoulder clips the same way, one at a time.
3. Do the same to the two waist clips behind the bolsters.
4. Use a new plastic wire tie to attach the lumbar bladder hose to the rear clip that holds the inside flat elastic strap.
5. Put the hose in position under the clip on the loosened front inside shell screw, then re-tighten that screw.
6. Re-install the seat bottom by putting a 12" wire or heavy cord through the hold down wire. then put the seat rear in place and thread the wire/cord down the inside and under the front of the seat shell. Lower the seat bottom into position. Sit in it and pull down and forward on the wire/cord until the wire clips onto the bottom of the seat shell. Pull out the wire/cord at the side.

Hope this helps others, as other forum how-to's have helped me. Working together here...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62