Replacement hood woes

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The shop where my Viper is being repaired received the new replacement hood from Dodge but the front corners which rest just outside the lights were rounded off and 3/4 to 1 inch short. They returned the hood. On contacting Dodge they were told that Dodge has 200 Gen II hoods in stock and ALL of them have the same defect! Has anyone heard of this problem? They are looking into the manufacturing process to see what happened. Till then I still need a new hood.....

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jcaspar1:
.... Till then I still need a new hood.....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

P A R T S R A C K

OP
OP
J

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon,

You were the first person that came to mind! If you have a new Gen II hood in stock that is in perfect condition I will have the shop give you a call. First upgrade I get when the Viper is back home is a set of StopTechs!

Lidquidsilver: For the price of the hood and painting I could get A LOT of chrome! Or maybe a twin centrifugal supercharger and more...

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know if I can scare up any of the newer Vipers around here on a rainy day for a picture (doubtful), but ALL of the newer Gen II hoods are like that from the factory. Instead of the sharp "point" by the outside of the headlight, it has been rounded off and is indeed shorter. No defect, an actual redesign as I understand it. My Viper is up in Blair getting the recall work done, but I can shoot a picture of both the old styles and new styles when I go to pick it up tomorrow afternoon. I noticed it when one of our members brought his new 2001 to a meeting last year...

Chris

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff, on my 2000, the corners on my hood are indeed rounded and do stop short of the end of the flat on the top of the facia.

OP
OP
J

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting.....
Post a picture if you can. Maybe the sharp point was eliminated to reduce cracking. That would explain a lot.

Jerry Scott[CO]

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Several Viper owners in the past have caught clothing on the sharp corner when the hood was up and have broken off the sharp point. This may be Dodge's fix for the problem.

OP
OP
J

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went by the dealership tonight and saw the hood on a 2002 with the shorter rounded corner. Thanks for the picture offers. Seems it would also help prevent breakage by hitting the lights with the hood misaligned.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The rounded edge hood thing must have happened in mid 2000. My 2000 GTS has the rounded edges, but I have seen early 2000s with the pointy edge.