Replacing Oil Cooler Lines

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In another thread I posted that I accidentally kinked one of my oiler cooler lines and I'm looking to replace them. Only the "Inlet" line is available and Mopar discontinued the other cooler line. VPA has the inlet line but I'd rather create my own oil cooler lines and be done with it. So I was able to remove the oil cooler lines but what a PITA to get the lines through the gap between the frame and radiator core support. Incredibly tight fit and I had to carefully use a crowbar to open up that gap with damaging the frame or core support. I may route the new lines using the brake duct cooling hole I drilled. Plenty of room there.

This is a shot from the oil cooler. I plan on slightly enlarging the hole I cut out for my brake cooling duct to allow the routing of both oil cooler lines. The gap where the stock lines are routed is ridiculously tight and I understand now why the lines rub together. Even though my lines didn't leak I did find that the lines were rubbing together, starting to splinter and it was a matter of time before they leaked.

You must be registered for see images attach

I plan on building my own oil cooler lines using AeroQuip full swivel AN fitting and steel braided hose, -10 AN. I've found a few informative posts on this but wanted to hear from others who have ventured down this road. I'm more than happy to write up a detail DIY as well.

Share what you know!

- Tony

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony:

I put in an Accusump and had to build oil lines just as you are trying to do. It is fairly simple to fabricate the lines. I would recommend you get a tool/kit for cutting/holding the lines.

I had to replace my cooler lines also. It was like you said, almost the impossible task to get them by the frame. I might have a spare line, I will look tomorrow. I think I also have some aeroquip hose and fittings left over, I will check for that also.

OP
OP
V

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jack you rock! :headbang: I ordered everything I needed today and it should all be here tomorrow tools, cutters, holder, fittings, hose, AN wrenches, etc. I'm looking forward to this.

OP
OP
V

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I made the new lines and installed them yesterday. This job is a PITA. Making the actual lines was the easy part. Connecting them was just a very painful experience. But it's done.

First, here's the view from the front of the oil cooler. I used one 90 degree AN fitting for the inlet line and a 45 degree fitting for the outlet line. (AeroQuip -10AN). I had to remove the bumper reinforcement, air dam and panel that was blocking me full access to the oil cooler connections at the oil cooler. Made the job of tightening the fittings at this connection much, much easier. I ended up routing the new lines through the same location where the stock lines ran.

This view is from the side directly behind the oil cooler connection. They route through the same opening as the stock lines did.

From the engine bay. It's still a tight fit between the frame and radiator support. I will protect these lines with rubber tubing as I did with the OEM lines as well as secure them away from rubbing against the frame.

Connection at the oil filter adapter. Just a very tight and difficult area to work with when tightening the fittings. Even with protective tape, AN wrenches, etc. I scratched up the nice AN fittings. I don't really give a **** about that but I know some of you are fainting over the scratches.

I used the following supplies from SummitRacing:

AER-FBM4414 (2)
AER-FBM4434 (1)
AER-FBM4424 (1)
AER-FCA1006
AER-FCM3661
SUM-900040
FRA-900090

I'll post final pics next week.