Reverse is starting to jump out of gear????

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now what? When I put the car in reverse it is starting to jump out of gear as soon as I let the clutch out. It does it at idle speed. No gas, just let the clutch out slow and it will start to move and then POP out of gear. It doesnt seem to engage all the way sometimes. Even when it does go all the way in sometimes it will pop out even if I'm pushing on the shifter to hold it in. I'm super careful now as I'm wondering if something is about to let loose. All the forward gears work great and there is no noise at all coming from the tranny. Any ideas?

Thanks guys.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Before you blame the transmission, I would want to be triple sure that reverse is fully engaged. The small teeth that engage under the slider ring are very slightly tapered to pull the ring into engagement under load; when they wear it allows the slider to disengage when the load is released (on-off gas pedal action.) It seems pretty unusual you didn't notice occasional coming out of gear before. Anyway, to have these teeth worn enough and now tapered to push the shifter out of gear is unusual. (Must be those power shifts into reverse!)

Is the boot bunching up to prevent full reverse shifter position?
Do the reverse lights come on? (engine off, key on)
There is no adjustment on stock shifter - is it stock?

OP
OP
R

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Before you blame the transmission, I would want to be triple sure that reverse is fully engaged. The small teeth that engage under the slider ring are very slightly tapered to pull the ring into engagement under load; when they wear it allows the slider to disengage when the load is released (on-off gas pedal action.) It seems pretty unusual you didn't notice occasional coming out of gear before. Anyway, to have these teeth worn enough and now tapered to push the shifter out of gear is unusual. (Must be those power shifts into reverse!)

Is the boot bunching up to prevent full reverse shifter position?
Do the reverse lights come on? (engine off, key on)
There is no adjustment on stock shifter - is it stock?

It has done it a few times before but I just figured I wasnt getting the stick fully engaged or it was just a quirck with the tranny. Last night it did it a couple times so I tried going into reverse a few times and making sure the shifter was all the way in. It would still jump out? It has an MGW short shifter on it and the boot is'nt bunching up. Not sure about the power shifts..lol I've only owned the car for the last 1000 miles so I'm not sure about before.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If by MGW short shifter you mean the shift mechanism itself, there could be an adjustment screw. It limits the fore and aft travel of the shifter. On mine (different brand) if I adjust for first and second travel, I don't get enough for 3rd and 4th.

I couldn't find an image of the Viper version at MGW, but assume it will be like their Mustang shifter.

You must be registered for see images

Falconeer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Rizzo..

The car has always been doing that while it was in my possesion and I was told it was normal. I had to kind of hold the shifter in reverse to make sure it didn't pop out unless I slammed it in reverse, then it would stay there.

Erik

OP
OP
R

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Might be a winter project. Pull the tranny and see what's up. In the mean time I'll just have to be careful. Hopefully nothing serious.

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Another curve ball on this...

Worth checking tranny mount to make sure it is in good condition.
Recently replaced one of Chuck's mounts and now everything is fine. Yes, we could hear shifter hitting "something", but maybe these mounts are fatigued and allowing binding.

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
P.S. also thought about the nylon isolator cup. This piece takes out the slack from the ball of the shifter to the tranny shaft.
Almost seems like your trannys are not going all the way into reverse. Mine will pop out if not fully engaged.

I put it into first then a little clutch (to stop the syncros) and then quickly into reverse. It goes right into reverse.

OP
OP
R

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
start with the shifter, start with the shifter...

I will check the shifter first. Start with the easy things first. The shifter seems to allow it to go all the way in to reverse though. It doesnt feel like its stopping it too soon. Easy enough to check though. Thanks for the info.