Reverse lights always on???

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just happened to notice that my back-up lights are on at all times. I had the tranny replaced recently and the new one just had a plug where the old skip-shift used to go, so I bought one of the eliminator plugs and plugged it up to take care of the check engine light. I know there is also a reverse lock-out plug, but the car drives fine and goes into reverse like it should. Any clue on what could be making the lights be on all the time?

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Luckily, I haven't had to look at mine like that, but the reverse light switch is usually on the transmission on a manual. Gotta be something up with it there. Should be 3 electrical connectors on the trans. Skip shift solenoid, Reverse lock-out solenoid, and the reverse light switch. Unless the light switch is incorporated into the lock-out solenoid circuit. (that would make the connector have more than 2 wires) Unplug the connector and see if the light goes out. If it does, there's the problem.

Wiretech

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The skip shift and reverse lock out connectors is on the driverside tranny ,the back up connector is on the passenger side, there is a white light green wire which sends 12v to the reverse lights , the switch in the tranny may be stuck.

OP
OP
T

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks! I was going to look into it tonight, but I ended up buying a trailer and I've been messing with it all night. I bought a wheel for the front so I could roll it into the garage by hand since it has to come in forward in order to fit. I spent well over an hour getting the bastard in the garage! I didn't think about the resistance of turning a dual axle trailer by hand. I'm worn out!

OP
OP
T

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just in case anyone else runs into this, it looks like the back-up light switch is no good.
I unplugged the wire from the switch on the trans and the lights went out. The I unscrewed the switch from the trans to see if the ball was moving freely and it was. After that, I plugged the wire back into the switch with the switch just hanging under the car. After starting the car (you WILL have transmission fluid come out the hole when you do this), the lights were on. I left the car running while I manually pushed the ball in and out and the lights just stayed on the whole time.
As far as a new switch, VPA didn't have them, so I looked around and found a lot for $70-120. That seemed crazy for such a simple switch and then I remembered a company I had bought parts from in the past. Rock Auto had them for $23. Thats more like it. :)