Rims: Powdercoat vs. Polished

XLR8SN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those that have aftermarket rims...which is a better choice, powdercoating or polished metal? Better in regards to waterspots and care (scuffing due to dismounting and remounting tires, chipping, etc).

How hard is it to keep them shiny and free of waterspots?

Anyone? I have very little time to change my mind on the order.

Thanks

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have a good friend who does powdercoating and he tells me to just leave them bare and polish them from time to time. if he is saying it to me, he believes its best for me.

Flash Gordon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have a good friend who does powdercoating and he tells me to just leave them bare and polish them from time to time. if he is saying it to me, he believes its best for me.

Agree with Phil. I completely refinished my rims this winter. Stripped, sanded, buffed, polished. No clearcoat for me, just polish and go. And if I get a scratch or rim scrape etc., no problem for me. Easy DIY. :laugh:

OP
OP
X

XLR8SN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I guess I am just really worried in regards to the upkeep in keeping them shiny and clean.

Since I dont have 2 parking spaces, I will have to place this one in storage and I will not always be able to get to it to keep it constantly clean. I am worried about waterspots and dulling of the rim.

Was looking into clear powder coating as well. It rains A LOT here in Hawaii and that is a part of my concern.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you go with just a straight polishe, you'll have to polish them from time to time....but if you get a ding, scratch or some light curb rash, you can usually polish it out.

if they are powder coated, you don't get any second chances.

I went gray powder coated centers with polished lip. tire shops have dinged them and I have been able to polish the dings out. Still have to becareful with the hub on the balance machine....it can damage the powder coat at the middle of the wheel.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235