Road America Results

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
August 21, 2004
Immediate Release

3R-Racing Finishes Third, Seventh and Twelfth at Road America

Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin -- 3R-Racing's Phil McClure drove to a third place finish today in round eight of the SCCA Pro Racing World Challenge GT series. Teammates Tommy Archer and Tim Wiens brought their Vipers home in seventh and twelfth place.

McClure, returning to the site of his big crash in last year's race where his race ended with a ride to the hospital, was able to secure some redemption today. At the drop of the green flag, he was able to move up from his fourth place qualifying position to run in third going into the first turn. "I had a good jump at the start and followed the Audis through turn one," said McClure, driver of the number 73/Aggregate Industries/3R Corvette. "I really just settled in after turn one, took care of the car and focused on running consistent lap times. It was a great finish considering what I went through here last year. The 3R team did a great job all weekend and third is a nice way to end the weekend at the track closest to my home in Iowa. It was also nice to excise some of my demons today."

Tommy Archer driving his number 22/c3controls/ Whelen Engineering/3R Viper carried his 255 lbs in REWARDS weight to a seventh place finish. "She felt heavy today. The good news is I get to shed a few pounds for Atlanta. I was running as hard as I dared with the thought of keeping the tires under the car. There were no cautions so I really had to be conservative so as not to fall any further back. I wish I knew the Audi secret of making a heavy car run three seconds faster than I could run."

Tim Wiens, driving the number 33/1st Interstate Inns/3R Viper, finished the day in twelfth position. "The car was a real handful. I didn't get a great start and was just able to hold my position. Once the field was spread out I just wanted to run good fast laps. It was hotter this afternoon than all weekend, so that made the track a little greasy affecting the tire wear and the handling became an issue."

Archer relinquishes his GT driver's points lead to Audi driver Michael Galati.

The race will be televised on Speed Channel August 29th at 1:00 p.m. Eastern time.

Round nine of the Speed World Challenge GT Series will be run at Road Atlanta on September 25.

Speed GT Top 10 Finishers:
1. Michael Galati Audi
2. Randy Pobst Audi
3. Phil McCLure 3R Corvette
4. Michael Culver Porsche
5. Max Angelelli Cadillac
6. Robin Liddel Porsche
7. Tommy Archer 3R Viper
8. Ron Fellows Cadillac
9. Mike McCann Viper
10. Bob Woodhouse Viper
12. Tim Wiens 3R Viper

For more information reference the team web site at www.3r-racing.com

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not the same luck for my friend Tom Weichardt and Jean-phillip Belloc in the ALMS today driving the carsport viper. Finished last in gts but had a huge tire blow out that took the rear quarter panel off. Its awkward that the best viper driver ever, Olivier Berreta from Monaco is now driving for GM and the c5r which he took the pole with for todays race in gts. GM and Ron Fellows only wanted the best.

JBenko

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congratulations to Mr. McCann and Mr. Woodhouse for holding off Ron Fellows for the majority of the race. Good show guys ! It's pretty cool to see several Viper Days alumni succesfully dicing it up with the pro's.

Additional comment - it's certainly questionable whether Beretta is "the best viper driver ever"...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets