Rock chips - how much to have the professionally fixed?

Jay M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I bought the car there were one or two chips, now there are 3 or 4. I do plan to continue to drive the car, but I also want to keep it looking as good as possible.

Is it better to deal with them a few at a time, or wait til there are a dozen and have them all fixed at once?

My Lexus with 86,000 miles looks really bad, I don't want the Viper to ever get like that.

I would prefer to have a professional do it rather than use something like Dr. Colorchip.

Do you have any idea how much chip repairs cost?

thanks,
~Jay

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure what pro repair costs as I have always done it myself. Done properly it's nearly invisible. Repair now and cover with clear bra or get used to the idea of significant chipping and repaints. As poor as the factory paint is on GenIV's I'd rather have factory paint.

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
goldcup:3000067 said:
Not sure what pro repair costs as I have always done it myself. Done properly it's nearly invisible. Repair now and cover with clear bra or get used to the idea of significant chipping and repaints. As poor as the factory paint is on GenIV's I'd rather have factory paint.
I second that... fix now and add clear bra! My paint is 18 1/2 yrs now with 27k on it. Still good but soon I'll replace the invisible bra since it has some dings. Awesome stuff.

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have them professionally repaired and they do it right, they are going to remove the bumper, which will cost a bit. I don't think 4 chips would warrant the cost. I would instead use a product like Dr. Colorchip to fix the chips. I drive the hell out of my car so I jut remove the bumper and paint the thing about once every two years.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
J

Jay M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was also considering a clear bra, but will it look as good as properly polished bare paint?

I might give Dr Colorchip a try, I just hope I don't make it look worse.

~Jay

texas_venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A properly installed clear bra will look great. It may not look as good as prefect paint but rock chips will happen and that paint wont look perfect for long.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets