Roller rocker rods

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a set of Crower 1.7 roller rockers that were new, and complete for an install on a '97 GTS. I plan to install them in my '00 R/T 10 w/10K miles on it, and I was wondering if the rod length is wrong for the newer "Creampuff" engine.

I'm not looking to read that everyone loves the T&D roller rockers better. I've already got the Crowers and I'm looking to install them, and I'm hoping to do it without too many problems, or additional expense.

If I do need new rods, what's the best place to pick them up.

Any help is appreciated.

-Dean.

OP
OP
S

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the links and info, but does anyone know what the factory rod length is supposed to be?
I'm not sure even if the rods need to be replaced, let alone custom length rods.
Wouldn't they be a standard length for all '00 and newer Vipers?

-Dean.

Bad_Byte

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Snakester:
does anyone know what the factory rod length is supposed to be?
-Dean.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think the factory rods will work, that's the reason for the checking rod. Get the more expensive one that has better resolution its really not that expensive $20 or so. I'd start out by getting the 7702-1 checking rod. I think one turn equals like .050" from that you can also tell what the length of your old original rods are, or you could just get a mic and measure. My gen 1 rods are about 7.6" but I had to switch to a 7.5" to accomodate 1.7 rockers. There are a lot of others on here that know a lot more about this topic than I do perhaps they would help out.

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FWIW, I installed Crowers in my '01 and I needed no new pushrods. Be very careful when lashing to be sure the fulcrum does not bottom on the stud (it is close with probably only .020 clearance). Rather than try to get questionable data, pull a pushrod, measure it and go from there. I might have gone with .050 longer pushrods, but it seemed unnecessary so I have stock pushrods.

OP
OP
S

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. When my mechanic starts in on the installation, I'll have him measure and check the rod length to see if they need to be replaced.

-Dean.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth