Ron Fellows ZR1 School, Spring Mountain?

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm thinking of taking my track skills up a notch, while I'm waiting for my Gen V to arrive. I'm a relative rookie. I've autocrossed a few times, and have tracked a Corvette at Spring Mountain and an R8 at Sonoma.

Has anyone attended Ron Fellows ZR1 school, at Spring Mountain? When I tracked the Corvette there about six or seven years ago, I had a blast! Now they've completely revamped the place with the Ron Fellows school, and the place looks like a resort- condos, swimming pool, clubhouse, even a spa, LOL.

I'm thinking of the 2-day school, anyone done it? Any feedback?

I'm also wondering if I should invest in some driving shoes. Thoughts over tennis shoes?

Thanks!

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did the 3 day (level 1) school a couple years back for my 30th birthday...I did not pay for the ZR1 school, so I drove Grand Sports and ZO6s for those three days (which are more than enough for that track with my skill level). We stayed in one of the condos there, which was very nice.

Unless they've changed something, they won't let you drive in anything other than driving shoes, so you'll need a pair.

I'd like to go back and take the 2-day level 2 school, but just haven't had enough time to get back out there.

The thing I liked is that there was a lot of seat time...within the first hour, we were out in the paddock area in a Corvette doing braking exercises (abrupt lane changes with ABS vs. no ABS on the wet skid pad). Lots of time spent practicing heel-toe downshifting, some time on the wet skid pad learning skid control, and a good few hours of track time over those three days.

I saw skill levels across the board...some people had never driven a car in anger, and didn't feel comfortable doing so. Others had some serious track time under their belts, and had no problems pushing the cars to their limits (two people that I remember exceeded those limits and had to pay for the damage caused by their off-road excursions). After a couple days, you'll understand why the Corvette is very confidence inspiring...the cars themselves are stock with camber shaved Michelin PS2 ZPs and a decent track alignment, and they handle very well. They won't let you turn the vehicle stability control off, so don't ask. It saved my ass a couple times.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wasn't sure it would be at the time, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Spring Mountain is THE best school out there. Skip Thomas who used to head Viper Days even told me of all the schools he has attended, they were the best.

Capt Van

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Spring Mountain is THE best school out there. Skip Thomas who used to head Viper Days even told me of all the schools he has attended, they were the best.

Absolutely!

I went when I bought my ZR1 and will go back.

Yes you need shoes, got a good deal at shoebacca dot com

PS when you go there is a great sushi bar right in town

OP
OP
V

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I'm signed up for the ZR1 school 422-4/23.

Anyone wanna join? Five ZR1s left, waiting for drivers! :D

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sounds like great fun. out of curiosity does a gen v order come with a driving school day?:eater:

OP
OP
V

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sounds like great fun. out of curiosity does a gen v order come with a driving school day?:eater:

It comes with the SRT experience, which is a fun track day where you drive a variety of SRT vehicles. Not sure if it includes Vipers, but I think so, just for Viper owners. I've never been, but others I'm sure could chime in.

The ZR1 school is included with ZR1 purchase, pretty cool!

Rick, you should fly out to Vegas and join me. I'm serious.

Capt Van

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I was there, the ZR1s were only available to ZR1 owners. I had a buddy go with me that has a Z06 and was told he would be able to drive the ZR but that was not the case once we got there, I even offered to trade for a day and was told that it is not possible. If they are saying you can drive one I would get it in writing as it would be news to me. Even though we had a great time, and on that track there is little performance difference between the ZR and Z06 he will not go back.

OP
OP
V

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I was there, the ZR1s were only available to ZR1 owners. I had a buddy go with me that has a Z06 and was told he would be able to drive the ZR but that was not the case once we got there, I even offered to trade for a day and was told that it is not possible. If they are saying you can drive one I would get it in writing as it would be news to me. Even though we had a great time, and on that track there is little performance difference between the ZR and Z06 he will not go back.

On the Spring Mountain website, they offer both 2-day and 3-day variants of the ZR1 school, so yes they must have changed the policy. And I do now have it in writing. You get 10% off if you're a Corvette Forum member, so even the ZR1 price is actually reasonable as compared to other comparable schools such as Bondurant. Around $2695 for the 2-day ZR1 school, or $3326 for the 3-day Grand Sport / Z06 class. Not cheap but well worth it for me. I chose the ZR1 because I've never tracked a car with the power level the Viper has. Just 2 weeks from now! I'll report back.

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Ron Fellows ZR1 School, Spring Mountain

Okay, reporting back after I took the ZR1 class:

I cannot remember having this much fun, perhaps since being a kid! It was like staying in a Vegas resort, but with your condo balcony overlooking a road course. I knew some of what they taught, but this class tied everything together and I feel much more confident on the track now. It was about 20% class time, and 80% behind the wheel. Here are a few of the things they taught us, first in the classroom then coaching us while behind the wheel:

Driving the fastest line through a corner: How to pick turn-in locations and apexes, semi-apexes.
Heel-toe shifting smoothly, while braking prior to turn-in (still working on that one, but getting there!)
Balance braking early in the corner, to set the outside front tire and stay on your line.
Hitting the apex
Smoothly accelerating out of the corner, proportionally to unwinding the steering wheel
Using throttle to correct line

Importance of smoothness
Importance of line of sight - Typically look at the apex upon corner entrance, while keeping turn-in location in your peripheral vision. People usually steer where they're looking, so look where you want to go.

Car control on a dry skid pad, with ABS, traction and stability control off
Car control on a wet figure-8, with ABS, traction and stability control off
I liked these sessions, you really learn how to smoothly drive a car fast at it's limits.

Don't over-drive into the corner, this is the most common mistake by newer drivers. Avoid late apexes, as exit speed and line are more important than entry speed.

Most of the time, I was by myself in the car. An instructor is sometimes in front of you in the lead car. You study his line, where he brakes, Etc. He sometimes follows you. He gives you suggestions over the radio on how you can improve. An instructor rides with you, to coach you on heel-toe shifting technique.

I'm going back for the Level 2 course in October. I'll receive my SCCA license upon completion. In the meantime, I'll be tracking my Viper at Laguna Seca and other tracks near me. Yes, I am hooked.

One more thing- I have an open invitation from the guy that runs the program that I can run a few laps in my Viper there if I'm in the neighborhood (when the students aren't on the track, at lunchtime or after 4pm). So I'll drive my Viper from NorCal to Vegas, then track it at Spring Mountain. He took me for a few laps in a ZR1 driving close to his limit, holy crap was that fast. I'm going to let him run some laps in the Viper as well, he's pretty excited about it.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like you had just as much fun as I did...I definitely want to make it back out there for the level 2 course (although I could probably stand to repeat level 1).

OP
OP
V

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like you had just as much fun as I did...I definitely want to make it back out there for the level 2 course (although I could probably stand to repeat level 1).

Steve, here's an interesting thought on how to get the rust out. You can sign up for just the third day of the level 1 ZR1 class, to freshen up your skills prior to the level 2 course. I'm doing just that, the day before my level 2 class.

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It comes with the SRT experience, which is a fun track day where you drive a variety of SRT vehicles. Not sure if it includes Vipers, but I think so, just for Viper owners. I've never been, but others I'm sure could chime in.

The ZR1 school is included with ZR1 purchase, pretty cool!

Rick, you should fly out to Vegas and join me. I'm serious.

I just recently attended the SRT experience: No Vipers yet. It's not just for Viper owners; anyone who pays the $600 fee or free to anyone who purchased a new SRT vehicle.

The radio control - how easy it to understand instruction over the radio? I have a hearing impairment and not sure how much of a problem this could be.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just recently attended the SRT experience: No Vipers yet. It's not just for Viper owners; anyone who pays the $600 fee or free to anyone who purchased a new SRT vehicle.

The radio control - how easy it to understand instruction over the radio? I have a hearing impairment and not sure how much of a problem this could be.

I didn't find it difficult to hear or understand at all...unless my memory is failing, it was piped over the factory radio, so you could turn it up if you needed to.

OP
OP
V

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't find it difficult to hear or understand at all...unless my memory is failing, it was piped over the factory radio, so you could turn it up if you needed to.

Agreed, very clear, over the factory stereo. You can adjust the volume to your liking.

OP
OP
V

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was mistaken about getting the SCCA license in the Level 2 class. I emailed the school director for clarification.

Any of the Ron Fellows level 1 ,2 or 3 classes count towards one part of the SCCA licensing requirements. The second part is their SCCA licensing school. A two day program. They cover the GCR (general competition rules) flags, practice rolling starts and practice races.

Can't wait to attend the Level 2 class in October!