Rookie needs HELP

Edoggrc51

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys! My name's Eric and i've been lurking around the forum here for the last couple of months. I bought my GTS in November and im trying to learn as much as possible. My question is this, over the weekend i was driving home when all of a sudden my radio cut out for a few seconds. At the same tme, both the ABS and the BRAKE lights came on on the dash. Also the speedometer dropped to zero. Then a few seconds later, all back to normal. Well driving home from work tonight same thing, only this time since i had on the headlights, they went out completely. I had to flick the switch off then back on again to get them to turn on. Not sure if this helps, but the fog lamps were not affected. Also the car ran fine while all this was going. The second part to my question is this, i do have the factory warranty still, any suggestions as to who to take it to??? I was at the Ontario Dodge dealer the other day and found out that one of the wash porters wrecked a customers brand new SRT. After hearing that im a little scared to drop my baby with just anyone. Thanks guys, all your help is very much appreciated!!!

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
check the battery or alternator. Sounds like crappy voltage!
Low voltage does wierd things to vipers! :2tu:

OP
OP
E

Edoggrc51

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SNKEBIT: i'll check the voltage and the battery out, thanks!!

Socrates: I was on the back roads when all this happened!! Guess it very well may be extraterrestrial related!!! LOL!!

carguy07: If it is a bad ground, that's something that i'd rather let the dealer handle. Can anyone suggest a dealer in my area??? Thanks again guys!!!!

Sonny S

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Most of us in the Ontario VCA use Wellington Chrysler in Guelph. They work on a ton of Vipers. Chris Smith is their Viper Tech. Phil McIntyre is the service advisor. Call Phil toll-free at 1-888-813-9999 .They can usually debug anything. They solved a similar problem in my Jeep. They are also good about honouring warranty .

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Did you mention the YEAR? You said GTS. THE YEAR MATTERS.

Old battery can cause all of these.
Bad ground can cause some of these.

scottgf

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Eric,
As far as dealers in the area are concerned, I havent heard anything good about any dealers in the I.E.

I took my snake to Foothill Ranch Dodge in O.C. and it took them 2 times and about a month to fix a few things . Cant really recomend them but the service advisor was a former Viper tech so at least he "spoke" Vipers.

Cheers,

OP
OP
E

Edoggrc51

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry guys its a 2001 GTS.....im actually in Ontario, CA.
Montclair to be more specific. If my problem happens to be a bad ground, where do i begin to look??? I'll start with the battery of course, but are there any other common places to look for???? Thanks again guys!!!.....Art, i looked for ya on Saturday, must of missed ya, sorry buddy.

OP
OP
E

Edoggrc51

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok fired up the car and i checked the voltage as i turned some of the accesories. When i'd turn on the AC the voltage would drop to 10 volts for a second or two, thats when the radio would cut out and the ABS and BRAKE lights would come on. When the voltage went back to normal everything inside would too. Im thinking maybe the alternator is bad or at least going bad. What do you guys think??? Can a bad ground still be my prob???? THANKS FELLAS!

Bad_Byte

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok fired up the car and i checked the voltage as i turned some of the accesories. When i'd turn on the AC the voltage would drop to 10 volts for a second or two, thats when the radio would cut out and the ABS and BRAKE lights would come on. When the voltage went back to normal everything inside would too. Im thinking maybe the alternator is bad or at least going bad. What do you guys think??? Can a bad ground still be my prob???? THANKS FELLAS!

Eric,
Start the car; pull the 'negative' wire off the alternator.

If the car dies get a new alternator. If not, load test the battery.

Suspect the easy stuff first. I'd worry about a good ground last.

I was parked about 50 yards south of the SD gang. Talked with Dave, Jesse and several others. Hope you had a great time, that's what its all about.

OP
OP
E

Edoggrc51

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Art, I'll try pulling the alternator wire tomorrow. I'll also have the battery load tested.....You're definitely right, GOOD TIMES is what its all about!!!

OP
OP
E

Edoggrc51

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was kind of thinking the same thing about removing the alternator ground removal. Is that safe???.....I did manage to just take a quick look at the battery. All the cables are nice and tight there. Any other ground locations i should look at???.....The serp. belt does look a little worn, but can that cause this??? If it be slipping you'd be able to hear it right???? THANKS GUYS!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456