Royal Purple 75w90 Gear Oil

anaconda666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just changed the tranny fluid today to Royal Purple, which is what I use in my 2 Lotus cars - what a difference! It is like filling the tranny with butter! Very smooth shifting. Will do the diff. next weekend with Royal Purple 75w140. Ron.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FYI....I was considering RP for my T-56 but recall in my service manual and online that some trans fluids have the below problem with attacking the internals. I went with AMSOIL a few years ago...

QUOTE"

Royal Purple was previously recomended by us,(more than 2 years ago) but in light of some new info from Libertys Gears, we no longer recomend Royal Purple. Royal Purple has and additive in it that attacks the blocker ring material, and it thins out/ breaks down toward the end of it life cycle. This is not a test that we have done in house, but Liberty Gears, placed a blocker ring in a container filled with Royal Purple , and one in Mobil 1, and after several weeks they noticed that the carbon material from the blocker ringn in Royal Purple started to deteriate. This test was performed several years ago. As a side note I use Royal Purple in my race engine
11875 W. Little York Rd. #1002
Houston, TX 77041
888-937-4411
Email: [email protected]
02 SOM Z28 M6 , Suspension By Madman
www.BMRFabrication.com, Greg Good Cylinder Heads, www.madmanandcoracing.com, JH Racing Engines
[email protected] Worlds QUICKEST LS1 M6 T56
You must be registered for see images attach

Six Speeds Inc. Builders of the worlds Quickest and Fastest F-BODY T56's.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm very suspect about using anything other than factory fill for my tranny. From the amount of testing done on compatibilities by the OEM it's not worth the risk of having some type of failure. Trannys and clutch friction materials are very particular with certain types of fluids used.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't followed OEM recommendations on motor / gear oil brands for over 30 years. Our Vipers have nothing but Amsoil front to back. I put the gear oil in the tranny at 16,000 miles (5/02) and changed it once so far at 55,000 (4/06). Oil analysis showed it had a lot left to go. The rear end gear lube was put in at 32,000 miles with the new Unitrax 3.45s (4/04) and changed once as well at 55,000 miles (4/06). Oil analysis showed the same for the rear end lube...suitable for continued use. I actually think the car runs cooler with these products in there....but can't prove it. There doesn't seem to be the massive heat transfer up the MGW shift knob there used to be when idling in parades or heavy traffic.

Bottom line is that if you trust the product, and it meets the outlined OEM specs, there's no reason not to use whatever you like. As far as I know, no warranty can be voided by using any product that meets or exceeds OEM specs. I think manufacturer drain intervals need to be followed while under warranty.

Steve

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be very carrefull with the tranny oil. The only thing that I know for sure is that the factory fill is poor quality. It doesn't resist very well high temperatures. Generally speaking Royal purple is a good oil.

I have a 06 Coupe and I just changed the tranny oil. It was looking like the oil coming from an Abraham thank that spent 3 years in Irak without oil change. 2 years ago I broke my ACR tranny. The first thing that the rebuilder asked me "what oil was in this tranny ? " => Mopar .... Since I was running my tranny on the Amsoil 75w90 Tranny & Gear oil. This oil resists high temperatures and can withstand 10000mi without problem. When I changed my tranny oil the last time in the ACR it was looking (and smelling) like brand new tranny oil. So guess what my 06 Coupe runs now on the Amsoil oil. I am not an Amsoil dealer ...

By the way my engins run on Valvoline.

I don't trust yet Amsoil to run my engin on their oil. I don't know why they don't get certified ? Some secret additif ? Or a very environmental unfriendly product ? :)

Last edited:

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't followed OEM recommendations on motor / gear oil brands for over 30 years. Our Vipers have nothing but Amsoil front to back. I put the gear oil in the tranny at 16,000 miles (5/02) and changed it once so far at 55,000 (4/06). Oil analysis showed it had a lot left to go. The rear end gear lube was put in at 32,000 miles with the new Unitrax 3.45s (4/04) and changed once as well at 55,000 miles (4/06). Oil analysis showed the same for the rear end lube...suitable for continued use. I actually think the car runs cooler with these products in there....but can't prove it. There doesn't seem to be the massive heat transfer up the MGW shift knob there used to be when idling in parades or heavy traffic.

Bottom line is that if you trust the product, and it meets the outlined OEM specs, there's no reason not to use whatever you like. As far as I know, no warranty can be voided by using any product that meets or exceeds OEM specs. I think manufacturer drain intervals need to be followed while under warranty.

Steve

Hey Steve,
When you are running the gear oil in the rear, do you have to put in the Mopar friction modifier? Or is it already in the Amsoil?

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Series 2000 stuff had friction modifier in it. I ran that way with no issues (some track time) for about 5000 miles. Later that summer, in August of 2004, I caught wind of Amsoil's own friction modifier (4 oz) and added it to the mix. I would recommend adding the friction modifier just for GP. it certainly can't hurt. The newer gear oil stuff is called Severe Gear. That is in our cars now with the friction modifier.

As an added note, Devon at Unitrax told me the differential casing in the Viper is not very big, which means heat is definitely an issue. The lower the gear ratio, the more heat is created from the internals spinning faster all the time.

Steve

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've just gone over to Castrol, knew it was approved as factory fill for BWM, but case came stickered up for Jaguar and Aston Martin too. Before that used Motul and very pleased with it, just so expensive over here, was something like over $50 a qt.

OP
OP
anaconda666

anaconda666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you are running the gear oil in the rear, do you have to put in the Mopar friction modifier? Or is it already in the Amsoil?

If you use Royal Purple 75w140, you don't have to add the friction modifier. Max Gear all ready has it in it. I asked their techs the same question. Ron.