rubber boot on shifter

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I began working on my center console crack last night and I noticed that the rubber boot around the shifter is completely ripped off. I didn't look real close but it did not look like it is easy to fix. Is this the case or is there any easy way to replace this boot? I am sure it would help with the heat pouring into the car.

GTSjbud

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am in the same boat as you. I plan on going to my nearest Dodge dealership and hopefully ordering a new rubber seal.

Reaction score
The seals are avalible and you will need to remove the console to replace it. I believe they are rivoted in and will need to be drilled and re attached the same way. Alot of this problem is from replacing the shifter but could just be deterioration from the heat.

OP
OP
W

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The seals are avalible and you will need to remove the console to replace it. I believe they are rivoted in and will need to be drilled and re attached the same way. Alot of this problem is from replacing the shifter but could just be deterioration from the heat.

I thought they were rivets but I hadn't looked closely enough. I just ordered a replacement from Chuck

UK Viper Nigel

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Had the same on my 94 Gen I. Spoke to Chuck Tator and he sent me a gaiter off a Gen II. Easy to fit once you take the centre console off. 5 or 6 self tapping screws hold it in place which can all be accessed from the top.

Give Chuck a call first before going to DC. :phone:

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I went to replace my shifter with an SVS I found that mine had been ripped, probably when the transmission was replaced by the dealership. Couldn't figure out how to fix it till I realized if it were skin I would just stich it up. Used some 4.0 silk and sutured it closed. Seals as good as new. I actually did the shifter repair through the tear so I didn't have to drill out any of the rivets.

06blackviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
when i changed out my shifter to the b&m, the boot was indeed weak and tore all the way around during install. i followed the instructions provided by b&m, drilled out the rivets but the screws they gave me did not thread in the wholes.i got a new rubber boot and ended up using double sided 3m tape . i was able to thread 1 of the 6 or 8 drilled out rivets.

good luck!
dodge used some of the cheapest parts for your shifter , good time to change it out now!

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I started drilling out those rivets last night. What a pain in the a$$. There must have been 8 rivets in there, all to hold the rubber boot. You would think it was a structural component of the car with the way it was installed.

GTSjbud

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just received my new shifter boot from Chuck (Viper Wizard)! :)

Chuck sent me the shifter boot, before I had paid, and simply asked me to send him monies when I received it. Not to mention that I am in Canada!! :can1: Chuck is a great asset to the Viper community!! I look forward to dealing with him again!! Thanks Chuck!!! :2tu:

OP
OP
W

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just received my new shifter boot from Chuck (Viper Wizard)! :)

Chuck sent me the shifter boot, before I had paid, and simply asked me to send him monies when I received it. Not to mention that I am in Canada!! :can1: Chuck is a great asset to the Viper community!! I look forward to dealing with him again!! Thanks Chuck!!! :2tu:

be careful when installing it. the metal where the boot fits in was sharp on mine. Put a cut into it when I went to install it. :mad: I ended up patching it around the tear.

GTSjbud

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That ***** the big one!! Does Chuck give any discounts on the purchase of another one? :smirk:

Thanks for the tip!! Maybe I will put a rubber moulding around the hole to protect the boot.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I started drilling out those rivets last night. What a pain in the a$$. There must have been 8 rivets in there, all to hold the rubber boot. You would think it was a structural component of the car with the way it was installed.

Those rivits are made of material from another planet...harder than any drill bit known to man :D
A cheapy air chisel will take the head off of one in a few seconds. Way easier than drilling.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth