RUMORS, LIES AND INNEUENDO / THE REST OF THE STORY

Tony Estes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The past couple of weeks several statements have surfaced that have no basis in fact. I will attempt to find answers and respond to them here. I hope this helps.

RUMOR 1)800 vehicles will be produced and 3000 certificates were issued.

TRUTH While we can make no promises, Dodge has every intention of building
enough '03MY units to cover all the certificates which have been issued.

RUMOR 2) The people who put down the higher deposit will get their car first.

TRUTH The amount of the deposit is a business agreement negotiated between the
dealer and the customer; it will have no bearing on the scheduling of orders.

RUMOR 3) Red will be produced first.

TRUTH Dodge has not yet determined the exact color sequence or the batch size of each color.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I never heard any of these statements, except that red would be made first.

Where did anyone hear 3,000 certs were issued? I heard it was more like 1,100-1,500.

As for the amount of the deposit - I never thought about it, but I *AM* curious why Dodge would care to know? Anyone got an answer for that?

For what it's worth, I also agree that Dodge should probably allocate to the higher volume dealers first - this gives incentive for excellent service, etc.

I also think the # of Vipers you sell should "reset" with the 2003, so that guys who might have previously been #3 or #8 or whatever, will be shuffled in line according to who sells the most '03's. I think a LOT of dealers got themselves high up on the volume list, and are not being jerks when it comes to selling '03s. I know my dealer was - but that's ok, because I am buying through the #1 dealer, which also happens to be the best!

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So how mant certificates were issued?
It would be nice if Dodge would give us a bit more information regarding the srt - it would put a stop to all the rumors. Why won't they release price, production order regarding color, and anything else that may help us out? After all we are a very loyal group towards Dodge, We have already snapped up all of the 2003's and all certificate holders already own at least one Viper - give us some more info!!!

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony,

Why not go to "SRT/10 = Thumbs Down" and put some of those rumors to rest. PLEASE! There are a lot of opinions flying around about the GTS version of the SRT/10. I'd like to here from someone in the know, like you. Anything you'd contribute would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!!

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow...since my last post, I see that it was changed to a Truth-Rumor post. either it was changed or my computer did not display it correctly the first time. My apologies to those who read my previous post.

Geoff Green

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have made no public statements with regard to any of these items. However, I did wonder what the reason was that Chrysler wanted to know how much deposit was put down.

OP
OP
Tony Estes

Tony Estes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Trey,
The word I heard while in Detroit a few weeks ago was "if you want a coupe buy a 2002". THERE ARE NO PLANS TO BUILD A COUPE VERSION OF THE SRT-10. A hardtop for the SRT-10 should be available about six months after delivery of the first SRT-10's.

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony,

Do you know how many certificates were issued?

Y2K10 SRT#39

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Reverse Engineer" the quantity of certificates. There are 220 Manufacturing days in a year. CAAP can build 10 cars a day. They said they issued only the quantity of certificates they thought they could deliver in the year. Unless my math is slipping on me that's APPROXIMATELY (no quality problems, no supplier problems, no engineering problems, no recals.......) 2200 per year.
I'm betting the quantity of certificates is just under 2000 to be on the safe side and guarantee delivery on every one of them! How's that sound. I'm thinking the EXACT quantity is a mute point. I know several folks that have them, and AREN'T going to use them!

dblankenbaker

Viper Owner
Reaction score
>>There are 220 Manufacturing days in a year.

Unless the manufacturing year starts in July 2002 and runs until December 2003.

>>CAAP can build 10 cars a day

More like 13-14/day from the Viper line alone, but 10 is a good number for on all new model.

Something to ponder...

What happens when they run 2 shifts using the former Prowler assemblers who are soon to be trained as Viper assemblers???

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dodge has been trying to get the Viper on a "regular" model year, instead of the calendar year. From what I hear, there won't be delivered SRT's at VOI7, which means they won't have any done by early September - and the 2003/2004 switchover should occur around July of 2003.

At about 10 Vipers/day, and 2/3rds of a year, you're talking about 1,500 units. I have heard they accepted 1,100 certificates with 400 on a "waiting list" - which makes the #'s add up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth