Running the "BIG " end

MarcRoth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who runs or has run in the upper end of the speedo, And what was your thoughts of how the car handled with the factory setup or your setup. My feeling after the front splitter was installed the nose seemed less "flighty" and more grounded but needs to have to have more HP to go any further. But Very Predictable.

RMcGuinness

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aero Coupe...car handles well but 175 is about the top because of all the downforce wing/splitter provide...aftermarket wheels...ecu...polished intake manifold...K&N...Catch Can...

OP
OP
M

MarcRoth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aero Coupe...car handles well but 175 is about the top because of all the downforce wing/splitter provide...aftermarket wheels...ecu...polished intake manifold...K&N...Catch Can...

On my ap the car doesn't have a rear wing to kill top end just the splitter and canards, But the car makes 712 at the wheels to push the 200+ range.

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been 187mph and the car handled fine, just falls on it's face in 5th gear. Would love to have the 2010 trans in my car :(

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have the opportunity to do the open road events, you can experience high speed running, over relatively long distances.

In the Silver State Challenge I averaged 145 miles over the 90 mile course, with speeds up to 165 common. Running up hill and down as well as long sweepers.

I ran with a 3:54 rear gear and used 5th and 6th gears. Very easy on the car at those speeds, with the only real worry being the tires.

No wings or splitters needed on these courses, as the cornering G's are relatively mild.

Some tape up their inlets, fold in mirrors, tape seams etc, but not really necessary as the Viper cruises well at those speeds and above pretty easily.

In Gen II Coupes is is not unusual for the side windows to be sucked out of their seals, and surprising the driver with lots of sudden wind noise. The later Gens have fixed this with the windows going up inside channels.

On the Texas course, reports of air packing under the car and making the steering light on high speed down hill runs are common. A splitter might help here to make for more confident steering.

I have run as high as 203 mph on downhill areas and the car felt stable at those speeds.

Talking with other competitors, I believe the Viper is perhaps the best suited vehicle for these high speed events.

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score

I bet if you used a gps your speed would be higher. Don't you have 20/22 size wheels or something.? I've been 185 in my 09 Aero Coupe and it is planted. Went looking for 200 mph in my S/C 06 but the front end felt light and I chickened out around 194 ish.

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Who runs or has run in the upper end of the speedo, And what was your thoughts of how the car handled with the factory setup or your setup. My feeling after the front splitter was installed the nose seemed less "flighty" and more grounded but needs to have to have more HP to go any further. But Very Predictable.

150-160 feels great but the road you are running on probably matters alot.

Sh&$, sometimes 40 feels unstable when it find those damn truck ruts...lol

OP
OP
M

MarcRoth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
150-160 feels great but the road you are running on probably matters alot.

Sh&$, sometimes 40 feels unstable when it find those damn truck ruts...lol

I see you you live in Brunztucky Looks like you know the way Ohio roads are..

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
What Paul says.

Hey Paul, how did you become a Motor City Member?

With OE size tires, normal rake (rear end higher than front) and top up, my 04 SRT is very stable at speed. I too have run the Silver State Classic and the car was very stable and comfortable cruising at 165 mph+ in 6th gear at about 3000 rpm with a passenger and the AC on (750 rwhp at that time, now over 900 rwhp), a speed we ran at for about 40 miles.

Road was a two lane highway, though it was smooth and easy to drive at speed.

With good tires inflated properly, some suspension upgrades (Motons or Penskes) on a long, smooth road in a 525 rwhp+ coupe, 200 mph should be fairly easy for most of us.

Not sure where my 09 ACR would top out with 585 rwhp / 565 rwtq and the revised 5th gear but it is still pulling pretty strong at 160 mph on an oval track and very planted. I'd guess 185 mph or so.

Dan

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
If you have the opportunity to do the open road events, you can experience high speed running, over relatively long distances.

On the Texas course, reports of air packing under the car and making the steering light on high speed down hill runs are common. A splitter might help here to make for more confident steering.

I'm going to run the 2012 BBORR here in Texas. As a rookie my target speed in the GT class will be 125, and my tech speed will be limited to 140 for the 1st race. Should be fun.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
shooter.

If you have some previous track driving experience, you can request a higher beginning target speed. Sometimes they will let you start out a bit higher in a Viper. (Doesn't hurt to ask)

In a Viper 125 is a walk in the park.

Have fun at the Big Bend.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth