SAE 5W-40 Motor Oil for the Gen V??

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I might of missed this in earlier specifications, but I noticed in the Road and Track Video of the Gen V, the motor oil cap now is stamped SAE 5W-40 with no brand name recommendation.

It only recommends "synthetic". I wonder if this will change by the time the car hits production? I use 5W-40 a lot in our diesel trucks and all of our older petrol trucks.

Because of the ACR-X series and Ferrari using Pennzoil, I figured they would have been the company to step up and pay to have their name on the oil fill cap.

Cheers,
George

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the powertrain overview video with Dick Winkles mentions that Shell came up with the blend for them.

OP
OP
T

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't realize that Shell and Pennzoil were under the same umbrella.

I went to the Pennzoil website and it lists its Pennzoil Ultra 0W-40 as the factory fill for the 2013 Viper, this is per their website:

"PENNZOIL ULTRA™ 0W-40

Ultra-Class Full Synthetic

The motor oil that helps keep high-performance engines clean and protected so they perform better.

Pennzoil® synthetic technology has taken synthetics to a new level with the creation of an ultra-thin motor oil designed specifically to help keep high-performance and luxury engines as close as possible to factory clean. Pennzoil Ultra™ 0W-40 is the only motor oil trusted to be factory fill in every Chrysler® SRT8® HEMI® engine, and the new 2013 SRT® Viper®. And it's the exact same oil that Team Penske uses right-out-of-the-bottle in the IZOD IndyCar Series"

They even had "SRT" on the bottles label in nice bold letters.

The Pennzoil Ultra Euro is the only high performance oil listed as a 5W-40 and has this info per their website:

"PENNZOIL ULTRA™ EURO

Ultra-Class Full Synthetic

The only motor oil exclusively recommended by Ferrari North America.
With a special formulation for European cars, Pennzoil Ultra™ Euro meets all the latest manufacturer specifications for Ferrari, Mercedes-Benz, Audi, VW and more."

None of this matters a damn bit, just thought they'd have this type of stuff sorted out months ago. I'm guessing the correct oil for the factory fill will end up being 0W-40.

Cheers,
George

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth