search feature broke? or can we dumb it down?

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There has to be 3 posts today that they searched (allegedly) and could not find info. *** many oil threads are there? Eleventy billion? Yet the search can't find them?

I've rarely ever had a problem searching for an answer here but it must be broke if there are this many people who can't find info.

Is there a way to dumb it down forvthe guys to search easier? Might help?

V

Venomiss

There has to be 3 posts today that they searched (allegedly) and could not find info. *** many oil threads are there? Eleventy billion? Yet the search can't find them?

I've rarely ever had a problem searching for an answer here but it must be broke if there are this many people who can't find info.

Is there a way to dumb it down forvthe guys to search easier? Might help?

I am guessing but some might not know they can put in the word oil but it will not bring it up because it's too short.
They need to add an asterisk oil*** or two to bring it up.

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know with other boards, three character search words do not yield results on their own.

From my experience the same is true on this board.

:usa:

commandomatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I joined this club to be able to ask a question to people that are current. In other words, if I have a question about something specific, I want to get the last and most updated answer. I do not want to use this site as a library and dig up old, and sometimes outdated threads. I want to talk to active people Now. Get the latest information.

Questions will re-appear and answers may differ from those just 6 months ago. Opinions change, products change, there may be more feedback than from old threads, new members may bring new information, product availablity will change, prices will change....and on it goes.

To go back into the 'search feature' is quite often getting you an overwhelming amount of threads....when all I have to do is just ask the questions I have and get them answered with a current thread. What is wrong with that. Why are people insisting that every time you have something to ask....go search ! If you dont want to get involved in a new thread...then dont....go away. If it is repeating something...so what ?

Granted....sometimes it does make sense but often it really doesnt help at all to search for a specific subject. It also makes sense to read your owners manual..but people dont always do..so let them ask the membership whatever they want.

As long as this club is active....lets keep it 'alive'.

Matt

Last edited:

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Matt. I couldn't care less if someone asks a question that was asked and answered before. There are many people who think of this forum like it is some sort of clubhouse with car guys who are knowledgeable standing around ready to talk. Telling people that they should not open their mouth unless they've gone to the library room and have done their research first seems very unfriendly and unwarranted to me.

I also agree that the search function ***** big time. There are NO instructions on the Search page, and the instructions in the sticky, if someone reads it, don't mention that common search terms like oil, GTS, SRT, gas, etc can not be searched for unless you know the trick. Also, the instructions about multiple search terms do not work in the current search engine. (At least the way that I read them.)

V

Venomiss

Maybe you both missed this sticky at the top of the new owners section.

http://forums.viperclub.org/new-own...step-instructions-how-use-vca-web-forums.html

It is a very good tutorial with many details and pictures on how to use these forums.

What Plum mentioned is that some of the detailed information you are looking for has been discussed or written about. Some of that information may have been talked about just last week and is fresh and current for any one to use the search.
That's why he tells people to please use the search feature because some new members do not know how to use it. Plum copies the search feature from that same tutorial.
(Thank you Plum!)

100 threads on the very same question over three days would be an example of why some of the newer members might want to try the search feature first before posting the same question over and over. Using the search does keep things "fresh" for everyone who visits the site.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Matt and Jim.

I don't see anything wrong with asking for current information and actually hearing from owners who maybe aren't part of the older threads.

V

Venomiss

I agree with Matt and Jim.

I don't see anything wrong with asking for current information and actually hearing from owners who maybe aren't part of the older threads.

I don't see anything wrong with that either.
That was not the question that Plum asked.:)

The topic of this thread was from Plum asking for something to make the search easier for newbies so they are not asking the same thing over and over in different threads.

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I find the best way to search the forums is through Google. When you enter your search terms add "site:forums.viperclub.org" (without the quotes) and it will only search this site. Much more accurate that the internal search.

This is absoutely the best way to search the VCA forums. I rarely use the internal search, unless I know exactly what I'm looking for...it blows.

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have also found the search feature on this site to be very inadequate. Rarely do the searches here give you exactly what you are looking for.

I'll have to try the google method. Google is my friend. :D

OP
OP
P

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
this is why i asked. i think the search feature can be more helpful with some tweeks. the lazy still wont use it but it will help some.

sometimes there are 2 tire threads in the SRT section and a new one gets posted....its annoying. how much do you think oil is going to change ? you just need to look around.

i agree its important to get some new info but some of the things asked are ******** and asked 3 times a week.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't see anything wrong with that either.
That was not the question that Plum asked.:)

The topic of this thread was from Plum asking for something to make the search easier for newbies so they are not asking the same thing over and over in different threads.

Yeh we know that haha!

I was saying some people don't really care if it's easier because they prefer to ask...get to know people, get updated information, etc.:)

commandomatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeh we know that haha!

I was saying some people don't really care if it's easier because they prefer to ask...get to know people, get updated information, etc.:)

Thanks Leslie....my point exactly.

The search feature leaves a lot to be desired. I dont know much about them, how to set them up or other wise, but even if it was perfect....I would still throw out questions to the membership....not look through 5 year old threads (exaggerated but so is 'eleventy billion'...Plum)

Sure...some things may be asked over and over...but really....whats the big deal? People get on here...they are excited. Let them start a thread if it makes them feel good. Those that are bothered...just dont get involved.

Easy...everyone is happy.

Matt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave