Seat lowering kit observations

vvvviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2 years out of the showroom and 10,000 miles later, I finally got around to putting in the Northwind seat lowering kit that I've read so much about on this site. (I should have done this WAY earlier) I'm 6' tall and although the mod may have never been a necessity, I thought it would truely be an improvement for me. I've got kind of a high upper body and I never liked the fact that the top of my head was higher than the car (with the top off)

Called up Northwind and they were super nice on the phone. The kit with the 1" drop was the ticket for me. Not so much because it still allows seat movement, but more because I didn't want to be any lower than that.

Kit arrived via Fedex and I must admit this is a solid quality product. Install took about 1 1/2 hours. (wanted to do it right) It fits TIGHT, so make sure that INITIALLY you just thumb on all the nuts LOSELY so to allow the other nuts to even get onto the bolts at all. Once completed, it worked like a charm. Oddly enough, when you look at the drivers seat now, it still looks no lower than the passenger seat. BIG difference though once you hop in and drive. MUCH more comfortable than before and really a very worth while improvement. Like I said, should have done this ages ago.

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Intersting. What's so special about the kit? I assume the seat is stock with simple brakets to the floor. I tood the seat out to install my 5 point, but didn't pay attention to the stock attatchments. If one were to just make up shorter brackets, I wonder if that's all there is to it?

Andrew

ACR Larry

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Andrew,

I have the kit on my car. It is a set of simple brackets and I'm sure you can go out and mil your own set, but the fit is very tight and you would have to be exacting in your measurements and milling of the brackets. Why not pay a few bucks and get the brackets that Nothwind has already developed.

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The problem withthe 2" kit when I tried it years ago is theat there is no fore-aft adjustment. And I mean the seat ends up where it ends up, period. I did not like the position, so I sent the kit back. For the 2" drop, I'd just make my own brakets, as you basically bolt the seat to the floor with offset brackets.

For the 1" drop, I'd use the Northwind kit.

OutThere

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nasty - How was the install on the 2" kit? I have been told it can be a project for those of use who aren't that handy with a wrench.

S

SUN RA KAT

I have the 2" drop and at 6'5" tall have decent headroom. I had Woodhouse shim the front of the seats up to give me thigh support and a little extra legroom - still could use more legroom, but at least I can fit my head in and drive straight up.

Joel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trouble with lowering the seat is that it restricts rearward movement, the seat will not go as far back. This is due to the fact that as the seat is lowered it contacts the angled rear bulhead at an earlier point in its rearward travel (if that doesn't sound to complicated). I modified my existing runners for a 2 cm drop but this restricted the rearward movement by 1 notch. However with a different set of runners you will not notice this, but it is still a fact that the rearward adjustment is restricted. The only way round this would be to alter the rear bulkhead (nightmare) or slightly alter the framework of the seat at the base(possible) and may be enough to permit further rear movement. Also removing the sound deadening felt behind the carpet may help.

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is also possible to modify the existing seat brakets to lower the seat. It's a fair amount of cutting/grinding, but you end up keeping the fore-aft movement.

Nasty 10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Nasty - How was the install on the 2" kit? I have been told it can be a project for those of use who aren't that handy with a wrench.

Once you do the first seat, the second seat goes much faster. You don't need any special tools of any kind. The kits does come with instructions and the company doesn't mind if you call them with questions. I don't care that the seat don't have any movement, since I'm the only driver of my car. I like my seat all the way back and on the ground :cool:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
are there any other seat lowering kits made? or any other MFG's doing them?

I just drove a GTS today and my left knee was mashed up against the dash.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456