Selection of insurance - Geico versus State Farm

Hans Christian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a quick question, if I may. As it soon will be time for finding the right insurance for my 04 SRT I now come to the ORACLE. Any of you have suggestions and what price range is acceptable here in south florida. I currently have state farm – they want about 1100/half year. I have also checked with Geico and they are about the same but they would accept an agreed value of the car for 80,000 which state farm wouldn’t i.e. should a total happen, then there will be no discussion of the value.

However, I have no experience with Geico and them honoring claims (neither with state farm for that matter)

NB: I have no accidents and no tickets

Any pointers or suggestions would be highly appreciated.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use Geico by have not had a claim. They have an EXCELLENT claims reputation and first class customer service. Nice to hear, but all second hand info.

dwhitt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have used State Farm for 10 plus years - have owned (3) Vipers - pay $900 per year on my 2002 GTS

no tickets or wrecks in last 12 years or so

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hans, ask for a "describtion of benefits" and then compare them too each other. That is the only way you can determine which policy serves you best.

obaa996

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing about Geico...they will take some of the $$$ they earn, and donate it to local PDs in the form of radar guns. While it's good to promote safety, it seems a bit self-serving given the rate hikes for speeding tickets...
FWIW, I had one claim with State Farm, when someone knocked over one of my bikes in a parking lot. They paid the claim very promptly and without question (I pocketed the $$$ and left the bike fairings alone in case some other !@(*#&@ tried the same thing. Maybe 4 months later, when I took the bike apart for cleaning prior to storage, I found some additional damage under the fairing (the clutch cover got dented). I gave them a call, and the adjuster came out, looked at it, and wrote a check on the spot. I personally thought that they would have told me to take a hike, given how much time had passed since I discovered it....

McGuireV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Hans, hope you enjoy the Viper. One of these days we'll get down to Miami.

I had GEICO for a long time. My problem with them was that they really haggled over any claims you'd file. You could get the money out of them, but it was a lot of work.

I have some experience with State Farm, too, and all I'll say is, they're great until you file a claim. Then they're great, but either your rates skyrocket or they just drop you. It's not good to have been dropped when you go hunting for a new insurer.

These days I do everything through Progressive. If I recall correctly, Progressive takes a lot of heat from the people around here, but I've never had a single problem, they've always beaten everyone else's prices by a long shot, and their service is first-rate. Go directly to them, not through an agent.

Just my two cents.

Russ Oasis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use Liberty Mutual. Although my only claims have been for cracked windshields (and they were great about that), so far so good. Their price is very competitive.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsmu4