service

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

so many questions to ask, probably going to ramble a bit.

I don't trust too many mechanics/technicians, so when I find a good one I usually stick with them.

I had to move away from Jersey for my job and therefore my Viper tech. However I found a no B.S. guy near my new house who does great work and NEVER charges me any bull**** viper tax. Good honest guy who runs an honest shop.

This is one of three guys I trust with my car. Anyway, so far he has done minor work like fixing a wheel stud and some electrical splicing. However I need to get service on the car and I am contemplating whether or not it will be feasible for him to do it.

I guess my questions revolves around some uninformed notions. #1. how viper techy does a mechanic need to be in order to service the car? In my experience its a pretty simple car to keep running and to service, however I would like your input here. #2. He's got a system in his shop that tells him the recommended service intervals and the specific jobs at those intervals. I saw the jobs it recommended however since I am not mechanically inclined, i have no idea whether the data in that system is valid. One example I remember was plugs and wires @ 30,000 miles. I guess what i am asking here is, is there some secret to viper servicing that a mechanic's database would not know about (assuming its a valid, reliable database)?

I realize these are some pretty vague questions, but while I believe this guy can do a good job, I was concerned that the information required to service the car may not be readily available.

any help?

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Very few parts or mechanic books contain Viper sepcific information.

If his has specific Viper maintenance data, great!

There are many differences in the Viper. It is the only hp domestic V10 built and only comes in a Viper. The older pickup V10 is a completely different engine, trans etc. The Gen1, 2 3 and 4s are all different. Any work (camshaft, exhaust, engine, rear axles, etc.) tell him what you wnat done or get a Viper specific mechanic to do the work. There are very few GOOD Viper techs and they are easliy named (Larry Macedo, Sean Roe, Dan Cragin, Dan from Viper Specialties, etc.) and they are the experts. JonB could probably suggest someone in your area or ask the president of YOUR VCA chapter for a recommendation.

You can change the oil yourself, but I suggest YOU buy a Chassis/Shop Manual for YOUR specific Viper. There were differences through the years. There was 2 different engines for the Gen2s and different wheels (cast and forged), different exhaust (cast iron and stock tube headers), forged pistons in some year Gen 2 engines and Hypereutectic for 2000 and up. Different years used different oil pans and different amounts of oil per oil change. Although stock dodge Hemi oil filters fit the engine, they are not recommended and specific Viper oil filters are made for the Viper engine. Mobile 1 synthetic oil is the only one recommended for your Viper (although any oil will fit into the engine, LOL).

At least if you have a chassis/shop manual your can supply the non-viper tech with info that he could fix things if he's an exceptional mechanic and you don't mind him experimenting with YOUR car?

All this advice is for ONLY STOCK Viper. Any modifications and you do need either the advice found on this forum (because there are engineers that designed your car to the best Viper tuners on the planet available on these forums) or the advice of the best tuners ONLY.

Ted

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
its just a car and a good, experienced mechanic will be fine. i use a friend who runs a local shop here for all of my standard maintenance stuff.

but get him a service manual and make a custom set of ramps to get the viper up on his rack. at least thats all i had to do. he's serviced since i got (for the last 6-7 years)

vipertech

Viper Owner
Reaction score
look for a busy shop first the guy will be doing something right he is busy.second know yourself what the vevicle needs at that mileage.if you have any questions call your old tech i will answer any questions you have.

Rolstar

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mahesh,
Go to Warnock dodge on rt 10 in Hanover, Ask for Scott Sorrentino, he is the resident Viper Tech, and one of the best around.

BlackSnake99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your in Bethesda, I have a great Viper tech in Northern Va. He's been working on them since the beginning. Let me know and I can get you his number.

OP
OP
M

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Rolstar,

Scotty has been my guy for the past 8 1/2 years, sadly I can never get the car back to NJ on the weekdays when he is in the shop. So, at least for the time being, I have to find more reasonable solution while I'm living in the Bethesda/Rockville area. However I'm planning on giving him a call to see if he knows anyone down this way.

Blacksnake, I'm definately interested, can you shoot me that number?