Setting DTC P0116 Engine Coolant Temp Sensor

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have set this code twice in the last few weeks. I cleared it with my scan tool and now it's back. When it sets the code the engine cuts power above 2500 rpm.
The temperature on the gauge seems in the normal range.
Should I change out the coolant temp sensor as a start? They seem relatively inexpensive.

Thanks!

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With an intermittent code problem, suspect the connector/harness first. Try to duplicate the symptom/code by manipulating or gently wiggling the connector and wires close to the sensor. If you can repeatedly make the problem occur, you've got your hands on the culprit. If not, it is probably an intermittent open in the sensor.

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you do replace sensor, go with OEM. I replaced my coolant temp sensor years ago with OE "equivalent", had all kinds of issues. Something to do with voltage and what PCM was receiving. At start up, sensor show 160F, and at normal temps, sensor read 250F+. You could imagine how it ran. Spend the extra $30 :D

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
First of all... this code is range related. Do you have a 160 or 170 thermostat? For some reason, the PCM is seeing a sensor that is not in the expected range. It could be wiring related, a bad sensor, or hardware related due to thermostat selection.

If you need a sensor, or connector kit, let us know.. have a dozen or so in stock. There are not many wires involve here- the sensor ground is common, and since you dont have any other sensor codes, 9 out of 10 would put this at the sensor connector terminals, the PCM terminal for that sensor, or the wire in between.

Start with the obvious- thermostat too cold? If that's not it, check the sensor terminals for corrosion. If not obvious, try wiggling wires and see if code sets. If not, check PCM connector. And finally, replace sensor is problem is not explainable by then.

George Farris

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Had a similar problem here in Amarillo. The thermostat was stuck "open."

So we changed the thermostat AND the sensor just to be sure.

All is good now...

OP
OP
S

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks All- Thermostat seems to be operating normally. Water temp gauge readings seem normal also. I will play around with the wiring and see if I can duplicate the code. Both times it was pretty cold out.
I'm not sure what thermostat is in the car.

OP
OP
S

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I found it. Is that it circled?
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Funny I also found this gnawed on bone under the intake!

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Did you buy the car used or change the thermostat?

Yes, that is the coolant temp sensor. Also, if you found that bone, I would look around for wiring damage.

OP
OP
S

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I bought the car used. Don't know if thermostat was ever changed. I looked at the wiring and it looks ok where I can see. Will check further tonight.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the wireing can look fine, and have a bad pigtail, or from that bone, may have a knawed wire rubbing, looks like a baby t-rex bone (femur)

OP
OP
S

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Guys. Don't see any frayed wires around anywhere. For now I unplugged the sensor and cleaned the contacts off. I also checked the ground wires and they seem secure.
Looks like a b*tch to undo all the bundled wiring and replace the sensor so i will see if it continues.

Can I check the voltage going to the sensor and see that way if there is a problem with the wiring?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62