Shifting through the gears doesn't seem very smooth.

Morketh

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a 2003 Acura RSX 6-speed and as I shifted through the gears it was effortless. It slipped right into each gear with no resistance.
With the Gen3 I feel resistance when I shift through the gears. The best way I can think to explain it is it feels like 2 movements from 1st to neutral then from neutral to 2nd instead of one smooth shift from 1st to 2nd. (this is through all shifting, not just 1st to 2nd).
Keep in mind my previous standard was a 4 cylinder Honda lol so I'm not sure if there is supposed to be a bit of resistance throughout the shifts or if it is supposed to just slide on in there.
I feel like if I slam it in there I am going to break something. I watched some people racing and I see them just slam through the gears where as for me I am taking like 1 full second to make a shift (not racing around, just normal driving, but still I shift much slower).

Is this normal? Should I just use a bit of strength and pull it right into 2nd from 1st (and through the other gears as well) or should it be a smooth, easy shift and something is actually wrong?

zombiesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
try slamming gears without letting the clutch back out so you dont grind anything. so like get on it in first and get ready to slam second and see if it goes in but dont let off the clutch. if it has more resistance under load and higher rpms you might be looking at synchros. if it feels about the same its probably just that you arent used to it. but its shouldnt require extra effort just to shift

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hondas have some of the slickiest shifting sticks in the business. Maybe even better than Mazda, however they have very light clutches and transmissions that have very little torque to transmit.

The Viper, on the other has 500/600 lbs of torque to transmit. The clutches and transmissions need to be much beefier to handle this torque. Vipers are also quasi racing vehicles, and need to be able to handle the stresses of race tracks and drag strips.

Most vehicles that are required to handle this much torque are even more difficult than our Vipers.

Be sure your transmission fluid is fresh and of proper quality and viscosity.

Gen IV and V Vipers have even sweeter shifting transmissions than previous generations. Even though they are stronger as well, they have a pretty sweet action.

OP
OP
M

Morketh

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took it out today and shifted a bit faster and everything was fine so I guess I just need to get used to it. Thanks for the replies.

PaulP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get woodhouse engine and trans mounts and it will be easier to shift all threw the rpm range

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I agree, it made a world of difference. It stops the whole drivetrain from pitching one way under power and the other way off. And shift like you mean it, The Viper trans doesn't suffer wimps well.

Gen 4 engine mounts are stiffer than Gen 3 and work well too in the Gen 3.

I've had to change engine mounts on both my Gen 3's. Went with Woodhouse on the Paxton car and Gen 4 on the N/A car.

Dan

cdover73

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well we didn't want the little fella feeling inadequate, right?! I figured I would at least give him something positive to look forward to, instead the harshness of life that is a double entendre...lol