Short shifters ?

cgmaster

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know there are atleast 3 shifters available for gen 2 cars B&M, Hurst (Mopar), and the Competition coupe Shifter. Has anyone tried all three yet. Is the CC shifter worth the $350 compared to the $250 for the others. I have never used any of them I have only used the stock unit. I have heard of problems with the B&M unit. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
John :2tu:

GimmeTheSpeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
cqmaster, what have you heard bad about the B&M? I'm having one put in right now by Valaya, Ted recommended it himself. Thanks for the info :)

unreelviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John, I don't know what you've heard bad about the B&M Shifter but I have not had a problem from day 1. In fact, this is my second one( 1st was installed in my 94 R/T before I sold it). I had the shifters installed by Jason Heffner(Heffner's Performance) and Jason did a hell of a job with the install. Please let me know what you have heard in reference to the B&M......Good Luck.

OP
OP
C

cgmaster

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have heard of a few of them breaking. I am not sure where they broke but I also found out that the older ones were different. I don't know if it was the old ones that broke or the new ones. I just remember reading about it here.

Iceman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've installed the B&M a couple of weeks ago. Great stuff, I should have installed it earlier.

As far as breaking it, it looks pretty solid so I am guessing the were slamming it quite hard to do it.

v10kingsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
my only gripe with the bm i just put on is now i need 2 hands to put the car in reverse. my wife isnt happy cause i told her i dont think she can do it. i think now that is a good thing. but seriously i am a 200 lb. 28 year old athletic man and it is not easy to shift into R

FlyBryViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The problems with the B & M Ripper shifters were with the few prototypes they produced many, many years ago. The problems were corrected, and they have not had a problem since.
Best shifter out there - the SVSi shifter has the best reputation amongst all the road racers I know, and several drag racers. If you are not competing, get which ever shifter is the easiest to source for you.
I have the B&M. At a Viper Days event, we could be shifting 10 - 12 times per lap, times 14 - 16 laps, times 4 sessions per day times two days = 1120 - 1536 shifts per event. More if we do the Friday practice.
Never had a problem with the B&M and the MGW knob.

Tomcat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the CC shifter and Newt (V-TEN member) has the B&M. Newt says my CC shifter has a slightly shorter throw and is a little more positive in shifting.

Hope this helps.

Tom

OP
OP
C

cgmaster

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help. I finaly tried a B&M today. It seemed a little notchier than my stock one. Does anyone have any more info on the others SVS, CC, or Hurst (Mopar).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62