slow starting 1996 RT/10

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Curtis,
Congrates on your new baby, I've got a black and silver stripe 96 myself. If the engine is turing over correctly(good battery), then try to cycle the key two or three times before turning over the engine. If it fires right up, I would say that your fuel pump(or possibly check valve) is bleeding down the fuel pressure. I recently just had mine replaced. Did you get a warranty with the car?

Mike

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Wilddude hit the nail on the head! First eliminate battery, then probably look to fuel delivery/pressure...

Did you check the computer for any possible error codes?

what colour viper did you get?

Tomer

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice selection of year and color
cool.gif

I had the exact problem 6 months ago. IT is the fuel pump assy. There is a schraeder valve located on the intake (passenger side towards the rear). Hook up a fuel gage(mine was around 55PSI running) and after turning the car off that pressure should remane. Mine would drop off as soon as I shut it off. The pressure is suppose to somewhat stay. The pressure regulator/check valve/ and pump is all in one unit. And that unit is in your gas tank. You have to remove the panel inside your trunk (black rivets)to remove the tank. Its not that bad if you are a DIY. Prepare yourself for sticker shock the unit list for somewhere around $750. I think I paid around $500. Depends on what kind of relationship you have with your local parts guy as to what you will pay. I was told by the dealer it's very common. My car had 16k when it went bad. Good luck and enjoy
cool.gif

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62