So Cal Viper Club Saleen Factory Tour

V10 ACR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The So Cal Viper Club had the pleasure of a tour of the Sallen factory in Irvine, CA. It was a beautiful day for a drive and more than 35 vipers were present at the start of the tour.

You must be registered for see images attach

Steve Saleen gave a brief introduction and let us have nearly the run of the place.

The plant was finishing the run of 500 special edition Parnelli Jones cars.

It is pretty amazing watching them take apart a brand new car, strip much of the body, pull the engine, and then replace with newly fabricated parts. Everything is done by hand and they were doing excellent work.

The best part was watching six Saleen S7's being born.
It started with the frame assembly. The tubing for the frame, when fully assembled weighs less than 250 pounds.

Then comes the carbon fiber shell. Aircraft grade and ultra rigid with no flex to keep the well designed areodynamics from shifting.

The shells destined for the street cars are smoothed with a bit of bondo. The shells for the race cars are left with the minor imperfections. Someone will have to correct me on this because it still sounds unreal, but they said that the full carbon fiber shell weighs 35 pounds! The reason they don't bondo the race car shells is because it can add an addition 10-15 pounds.

The shell, the engine and the frame all come together.

Nearly done.

Saleen was great, the weather was great, the drive was fun, good company at lunch, now I just have to figure how to come up with $700,000 to get one of the twin turbo S7's built just for me. Anyone care to make a donation?

:D

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Saleen was great, the weather was great, the drive was fun, good company at lunch, now I just have to figure how to come up with $700,000 to get one of the twin turbo S7's built just for me.

Well, with 35 of you guys there... if half the guys sold their Vipers for over $40k, you can all chip in and buy ONE S7! :eek:

The fun part will be to decide who gets it when. :D

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Saleen was great, the weather was great, the drive was fun, good company at lunch, now I just have to figure how to come up with $700,000 to get one of the twin turbo S7's built just for me.

Well, with 35 of you guys there... if half the guys sold their Vipers for over $40k, you can all chip in and buy ONE S7! :eek:

The fun part will be to decide who gets it when. :D

Timeshare- yeah! We just need to get a bunch of midwesterners involved, knowing that they couldn't drive the thing 8 months out of the year anyway :2tu:

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave