So much better than expected

PeerBlock

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After seeing pics of the Viper on auto blogs and watching all the videos I could find, I finally got to see a stryker red viper in person today...and it's mine!

All I can say is that the photos, videos and internet chatter do not even come close to expressing how superlative this machine is. The stryker red paint is absolutely mesmerizing. Anyone with a pulse could easily spend hours just standing there and looking at the Viper in this shade of red. I would even go so far as to say that it's a rolling piece of jewelry. The car looks stunning from ANY angle imaginable. Budding photographers love cars like this because you'd have to struggle to take a bad photo of it.

The fit and finish on this car is impeccable and the red interior with red stitching on the dash adds character without being obnoxious. I did not get a chance to drive it on the road since it arrived at the dealership after hours and has to get prepped/inspected, but I did drive it around their lot.

I had no real concerns about this car aside from the complaints I heard about the seats being uncomfortable. They are firm; not hard, and feel appropriate for a car that can pull the lateral Gs that the viper is capable of. I sat in the car for several minutes and found them to be more comfortable than the seats in most other cars I've owned.

One thing I can say is that the relative loudness of this car is up there, not necessarily because it's louder than a typical car of this class, but because the exhaust exits right next to your ear. Even an econobox might sound a bit noisy if your ear is literally 3 feet away from the exhaust outlet...not a complaint since I'm deep in the "if it's too loud you're too old" camp.

I'm looking forward to driving this car around town as well as on the track. I'll post pics and maybe even some video in the coming weeks. These are just my first impressions so it will be interesting (for me, at least) to see how they hold up and if they change after I get more familiar with my viper.

For anyone who has one on order and is getting impatient - just wait, especially if you managed to get a stryker red allotment. I saw a few other vipers on the delivery truck and while the other colors are fine, they are not on the same level as SR. If you are on the fence about whether or not to place an order for a Viper, my recommendation is to order one if you can afford it. I should be asleep right now but the excitement is making it nearly impossible to get any shut eye.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man I really needed to hear that. I'm still waiting for my Stryker Red, it has been painful because of delay after delay, going Viperless to my VCA meets, and not being able to take her to ALMS Laguna Seca. Now I've got to try to come up with something else to drive at the Laguna Seca track weekend end of June.

I found an unsold black/gunmetal GTS that is soooooo tempting, that color is a strong 2nd place. And I could have it now! Still holding out for the Stryker Red for now.

Enjoy your new dream ride!

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on the purchase! Now of course you know this is coming...:needpics: :D

Last edited:

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats. I had a feeling the owners would have a little different take on the Viper than the mags especially from owners that have had other high end machinery from the usual European marques. As said above, Pics pics pics!!!!

HobokenViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tracking a Stryker red Viper?! Oh no!!!!! Well, I hope you are planning on wrapping the whole car in a vinyl clear bra first because that paint is impossible to touch up, and VERY expensive to repaint and replicate. Did I say it is VEEEERRRRY expensive and nearly impossible for anyone except the manufacturer to replicate?

On another note, congrats and enjoy! I'm very jealous, and wish you all the best. Thats the exact color i would get in a Gen 5. Can't wait to see pictures!

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sat in a viper with the sepia leguna leather. I actually found it to be extremely comfortable. These are better than the recaros in my 2013 gt500. I almost fell asleep sitting in the car lol. But I can collaborate that this car is LOUD. The dealer let me start it and rev the engine a bit and now I understand why people think it has a truck engine. It is way louder than my shelby.

My only concern about this car and people may think I am a **gina for asking but since this car and mine have the exact same shocks I was wondering if the OP can comment on the bumpyness/harshness of the ride. The shelby is a little too harsh for my liking so I'm wondering how the viper feels in the comfort mode if you got a GTS. Also how is the traction with that huge 355 tire.

Hemotoxic

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After seeing pics of the Viper on auto blogs and watching all the videos I could find, I finally got to see a stryker red viper in person today...and it's mine!
Good on ya, mate! Congrats for your happy day after a too-long wait.

All I can say is that the photos, videos and internet chatter do not even come close to expressing how superlative this machine is. The stryker red paint is absolutely mesmerizing. Anyone with a pulse could easily spend hours just standing there and looking at the Viper in this shade of red. I would even go so far as to say that it's a rolling piece of jewelry. The car looks stunning from ANY angle imaginable. Budding photographers love cars like this because you'd have to struggle to take a bad photo of it.
My closest Dodge oops SRT dealer told me last week when I was taking pix of their white/black stripes GTS that they had a "metallic red" one inbound. I said, you mean Stryker Red? The sales rep walked over to the column with the eight little Viper bodies and pointed to the Stryker Red one. Let's hope so. SR is beyond belief even in pictures and it looks like it won't be back for 2014.

I had no real concerns about this car aside from the complaints I heard about the seats being uncomfortable. They are firm; not hard, and feel appropriate for a car that can pull the lateral Gs that the viper is capable of. I sat in the car for several minutes and found them to be more comfortable than the seats in most other cars I've owned.
They let me sit in the white/black GTS and I was totally impressed with the seat--supportive and comfortable at the same time, even better than the ones in my old S2000 CR that fit me just right.

I'm looking forward to driving this car around town as well as on the track. I'll post pics and maybe even some video in the coming weeks.
Yes please!

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Congrats on the awesome ride! You need to get a film on the car if you will track it, 8 layers of paint cannot be touched up.

Agreed, I was a Viper hater for years until I actually drove one (Gen 2). Then I realized how full of cr@p the magazines were, those idiots were biased and doing the Viper a huge disservice by always trashing it.

Kind of like the way TopGear disses American cars, but at least they take it so over the top with every nationality that you know it's a joke. The mags always portrayed themselves as neutral but they've always had a thing against the Viper, probably because the snake reveals the true abilities of the driver (hint: most journos can't drive).

Since then I've pretty much used the mags as bathroom readers and even then, it's really there just in case I run out of tp. :crazy2:

PS. Time to join the VCA :D

NewYorkJon34

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like you, I also have a 2014 gt500 with the adjustable shocks & was wondering the difference in ride quality. I usually keep mine in "sport" mode anyway. I got to start up a SR viper at my local dealership, & the sound is quite impressive, the Shelby sounds tame in comparison. The seats in the viper to me felt very comfortable, about the same as the recaros. My only concern would be how tight the cabin is on the viper, I'm 6'0" & it's def intimate in there lol perhaps I needed to adjust the seating, I didn't sit in it that long & didn't get to drive it as expected. Def a beautiful car, I'll enjoy the gt500 for a good while but I'll probably end up trading it in on a srt viper. I'm just curious of which car would feel faster?, as the gt500 is a torque monster, lol

I sat in a viper with the sepia leguna leather. I actually found it to be extremely comfortable. These are better than the recaros in my 2013 gt500. I almost fell asleep sitting in the car lol. But I can collaborate that this car is LOUD. The dealer let me start it and rev the engine a bit and now I understand why people think it has a truck engine. It is way louder than my shelby.

My only concern about this car and people may think I am a **gina for asking but since this car and mine have the exact same shocks I was wondering if the OP can comment on the bumpyness/harshness of the ride. The shelby is a little too harsh for my liking so I'm wondering how the viper feels in the comfort mode if you got a GTS. Also how is the traction with that huge 355 tire.

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like you, I also have a 2014 gt500 with the adjustable shocks & was wondering the difference in ride quality. I usually keep mine in "sport" mode anyway. I got to start up a SR viper at my local dealership, & the sound is quite impressive, the Shelby sounds tame in comparison. The seats in the viper to me felt very comfortable, about the same as the recaros. My only concern would be how tight the cabin is on the viper, I'm 6'0" & it's def intimate in there lol perhaps I needed to adjust the seating, I didn't sit in it that long & didn't get to drive it as expected. Def a beautiful car, I'll enjoy the gt500 for a good while but I'll probably end up trading it in on a srt viper. I'm just curious of which car would feel faster?, as the gt500 is a torque monster, lol

They probably feel the same. I couldn't tell the difference between the shelby and the GTR in a straight line that I drove. But yea actually the cabin was not as bad as I thought it would be since motortrend said its small. I guess because the nerd guy is a fat ass so its small for me. I am 5 11 and I was fine in there. My only problem was seeing out the windshield. I really want to know though how firm the ride is in the viper in normal mode.

PilotaX

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That's awesome. I love that color and if not for lusting after the blue/white combo in 1996 (when I couldn't afford it), I probably would have opted for Stryker.

Re the noise level, I think I'm finally old enough to appreciate it. Sounds weird but my sensitivity to loud noises has gone down over time. Plus if anyone is yelling "slow down" theres not a chance in hell ill hear it. LOL

Enjoy the new ride!

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like you, I also have a 2014 gt500. I'll enjoy the gt500 for a good while but I'll probably end up trading it in on a srt viper. I'm just curious of which car would feel faster?, as the gt500 is a torque monster, lol

The low end torque of the GT500 is tremendous. After owning one for a few months now I would suspect that virtually any stock Viper will feel a bit weaker down low, but it will definitely shine as the MPH climb.

OP
OP
P

PeerBlock

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on the purchase! Now of course you know this is coming...:needpics: :D

Re: Pics - they're coming. I actually went out to take some today but then I was like nah, I don't want to stop driving this thing. I was having too much fun! If I can evoke some self control I might snap some photos of it later today. Also, there is the issue that whenever I park it a crowd of people seems to materialize out of nowhere. lol

Tracking a Stryker red Viper?! Oh no!!!!! Well, I hope you are planning on wrapping the whole car in a vinyl clear bra first because that paint is impossible to touch up, and VERY expensive to repaint and replicate. Did I say it is VEEEERRRRY expensive and nearly impossible for anyone except the manufacturer to replicate?

On another note, congrats and enjoy! I'm very jealous, and wish you all the best. Thats the exact color i would get in a Gen 5. Can't wait to see pictures!

I'd hate to not attempt to push this car to its limits and it's not something I want to attempt on public roads.

I've heard about the clear bra but I'm concerned that it could mess up the appearance of the paint or leave some residue on the car if it ever needed to be removed/replaced. I did get a warranty specifically on the paint through the dealership so if I did need to get a part of it repainted it would be done according to the manufacturers' original process.

any comment on ride harshness?

Yes - it's not harsh unless you are expecting it to be cushy like a luxury sedan. As far as performance cars go you will feel the bumps and variations in road surface but that means it's working as intended. When you can feel the road like that you'll have a much better idea of how the car is going to react to your inputs. I did not try out the other suspension modes; I have it in "auto" mode and after driving around for a few hours today I did not feel fatigued. Roads around here are full of bumps and uneven patches and the suspension did a fine job of keeping the ride comfortable and the car under control.

Congrats on the awesome ride! You need to get a film on the car if you will track it, 8 layers of paint cannot be touched up.

Agreed, I was a Viper hater for years until I actually drove one (Gen 2). Then I realized how full of cr@p the magazines were, those idiots were biased and doing the Viper a huge disservice by always trashing it.

Kind of like the way TopGear disses American cars, but at least they take it so over the top with every nationality that you know it's a joke. The mags always portrayed themselves as neutral but they've always had a thing against the Viper, probably because the snake reveals the true abilities of the driver (hint: most journos can't drive).

Since then I've pretty much used the mags as bathroom readers and even then, it's really there just in case I run out of tp. :crazy2:

PS. Time to join the VCA :D

I think you're right about the point that the viper is a drivers' car. It does not have a bunch of nanny features that make up for a bad driver so it's less forgiving of mistakes. Personally that would make me like it more because it forces me to improve. I think a car like the GT-R makes drivers lazy.

And yea, I gotta check about signing up officially on here.

The low end torque of the GT500 is tremendous. After owning one for a few months now I would suspect that virtually any stock Viper will feel a bit weaker down low, but it will definitely shine as the MPH climb.

There is no shortage of low-end torque from the 8.4L. I would describe the Viper's acceleration like this - SRT managed to fit the power of a tsunami into a 8.4L package, which when unleashed causes the viper to accelerate so fast that everything around you becomes a blur. I am not exaggerating here... This car is just so fast it feels like I might get a ticket for breaking the laws of physics, and it sounds awesome while accelerating.

SADVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats n enjoy
Venom V I really feel sorry for u! Hope it gets better.

Killer33

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've heard about the clear bra but I'm concerned that it could mess up the appearance of the paint or leave some residue on the car if it ever needed to be removed/replaced. I did get a warranty specifically on the paint through the dealership so if I did need to get a part of it repainted it would be done according to the manufacturers' original process.

I have the same car and thought twice about installing the clear bra but afterwards I'm glad i did it. Sand and pebbles of even simple driving take their toll, especially on the side sills. I had a few indents after one or two spirited trips. The 3M doesnt take away from the shine or color in anyway, but I understand the reservation. The guy that did my clear bra does some pretty high end cars, he had a new Lambo and Porsche in the bay next to mine. I originally just had them do the impact areas; front bumper, side sills, mirrors, rear quarters etc. however; when I went to pick up the car it looked so good I had them keep it and install it on the entire hood and a front section of the roof. Now I just hop in and go. Clean up is pretty simple, a duster first and then wipe her down. This probably sounds like a commercial but I can tell you I just did for peace of mind.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Definitely want to have this done by a competent shop with the latest clear bra technology! It will not harm your paint whatsoever and will greatly help protect it.
I recently had the front end on my Gallardo redone for cosmetic reasons and they had to take off 4 year old clear bra from my hood.
Paint was flawless under it no residue whatsoever and this was clear bra technology from four years ago, its been improved with "self healing" properties and better UV protection.

I had both my ACR's done straight from the factory and so have many others.
I've seen brand new Ferrari's and Lambo's coming off the transporter trucks right to the installer, it's that important.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats n enjoy
Venom V I really feel sorry for u! Hope it gets better.

Much appreciated. I'm almost there. The factory says that they'll begin all remaining D1 production scheduled cars by end of June, so I figure by end of July I'll have my dream machine.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definitely want to have this done by a competent shop with the latest clear bra technology! It will not harm your paint whatsoever and will greatly help protect it.
I recently had the front end on my Gallardo redone for cosmetic reasons and they had to take off 4 year old clear bra from my hood.
Paint was flawless under it no residue whatsoever and this was clear bra technology from four years ago, its been improved with "self healing" properties and better UV protection.

I had both my ACR's done straight from the factory and so have many others.
I've seen brand new Ferrari's and Lambo's coming off the transporter trucks right to the installer, it's that important.

Good to hear. I hope it protects me from the track debris. Nothing will save me if I go off in the gravel though, lol

PilotaX

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I had a 2013 GT500 and it was one of the three best street car engines I've ever owned. The other two are the 2013 Viper and 2012 GT3 RS 4.0.

I actually think the Viper feels even stronger down low than the GT500. But it's awfully close. Maybe too close to call.

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

Yes - it's not harsh unless you are expecting it to be cushy like a luxury sedan. As far as performance cars go you will feel the bumps and variations in road surface but that means it's working as intended. When you can feel the road like that you'll have a much better idea of how the car is going to react to your inputs. I did not try out the other suspension modes; I have it in "auto" mode and after driving around for a few hours today I did not feel fatigued. Roads around here are full of bumps and uneven patches and the suspension did a fine job of keeping the ride comfortable and the car under control.

I think you're right about the point that the viper is a drivers' car. It does not have a bunch of nanny features that make up for a bad driver so it's less forgiving of mistakes. Personally that would make me like it more because it forces me to improve. I think a car like the GT-R makes drivers lazy.

And yea, I gotta check about signing up officially on here.

There is no shortage of low-end torque from the 8.4L. I would describe the Viper's acceleration like this - SRT managed to fit the power of a tsunami into a 8.4L package, which when unleashed causes the viper to accelerate so fast that everything around you becomes a blur. I am not exaggerating here... This car is just so fast it feels like I might get a ticket for breaking the laws of physics, and it sounds awesome while accelerating.

I don't expect it to ride like an S class. But I mean I'd like to ride as well as say an m3,m6, s5, I'd through zr1 but I don't think it would ride as well as the MR system. Maybe even as well as a turbo s. Have you ever been in a 13 shelby? Essentially I want to see if it is softer than that. Granted I know some of the harshness of the shelby comes from the crap live axle.

Voice of Reason

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a 2013 GT500 and it was one of the three best street car engines I've ever owned. The other two are the 2013 Viper and 2012 GT3 RS 4.0.

I actually think the Viper feels even stronger down low than the GT500. But it's awfully close. Maybe too close to call.

I've not driven the new GT500 but have had modded Mustangs in the past with comparable power. With the Viper it's nice having enough tire out back to be able to use all this power, where as in my Mustangs 1st gear was only good for a smoke show unless I was at the drag strip.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i liked mustangs back in the late 80's...the real 5.0's. not really a fan of subsequent models.

3whitevipers

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
With paint that expensive I'd use blue painters tape on the lower body when at the track because the clear bra will get blasted by sand and become dull from the sand impact. The tape is very easy to install and remove after the track. Ask how I know--Dave

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsmu4