Some Guidance Would Be Helpful!

crow_48032

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I’m between a rock and a tough spot. In 2002 I bought my first sports car, a 2000 Firebird Formula. I had fun with it for a while, put some chrome wheels on it, the SLP Loudmouth catback, and installed ram air, and a ram air hood. It was nice, and fun while it lasted but after a while it was just too slow for me, and not a whole lot of fun to drive Soon after the mod wars started happening around town, and everyone was running around with procharged LS1’s and built LT1’s.

Then I started hearing about these 03/04 Cobra’s and after research I quickly saw their potential and wanted to get rid of the old Firebird and jump into one of these Stangs. Well, college came after that, I saved every penny I could spare, finally sold the Firebird a few months back, and now I’m finally in the ball park range for a nice 03/04 Cobra. But since I fell in love with the Mustang Cobra the C6 Corvette has been released.

Now I’m realizing that if I wait just a little longer which I have no problem doing, I could easily pick up an 05 C6 coupe with decent miles on it, as well as maybe even an older Dodge Viper.

I’ve been on autotrader left and right looking at all these Cobra’s, C6’s, and Vipers, and all it’s giving me is a giant headache. My ultimate goal is to have a low 11-second car that might even run high 10’s on a good day. The car I buy I’m planning on keeping for life, and keeping stored for winters, and bringing it out nice days during the summer.

I’m completely lost and looking for some guidance. I don’t want to put my life savings away to get a 10 second car, but then if I have the money and could be cruising around in a C6 Vette or Viper, it just makes driving more fun, and of course more looks, compliments, and girls!
You must be registered for see images attach

I just got on this forum so I haven't had a whole lot of time to research but just by going through google it seems like it's hard for me to find performance parts for the vipers. I come up with a bunch of stuff for the Cobra's and the Vette's but barely anything for the Vipers. I think all three cars are pretty awesome but I'm looking for practicality, I guess. I've tried hearing back from the guys on corvetteforum.com and I had a couple responces but not a lot of help. Basically they just dogged on the the viper and the cobra which was expected. I'm just looking for some other opinions.

(I would love to go with a Viper, I mean....it's a freakin Viper, who wouldn't! But If I go with a 97-2002 how hard will it be to get it in the low 11's high 10's.)

I don’t know…. I’m sure some of you guys know how I feel, or have been in my shoes before. so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :headbang:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dunno how serious this post is but my bone stock 98 ran 12.05 with 100,000 miles on the stock clutch. Sticky rubber will put any Viper in the 11s.

OP
OP
C

crow_48032

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dunno how serious this post is but my bone stock 98 ran 12.05 with 100,000 miles on the stock clutch. Sticky rubber will put any Viper in the 11s.

Thanks for the input. I'm looking at for a 97-99 at this point. The money in the bank isn't going to allow to me purchase anything a whole lot newer. haha

That info is good to know! :2tu:

CANTDRIVE55

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi,

As for performance parts/etc.....I have 46 "bookmarks" on my browser and this forum marketplace has 136 sites! You should have no problem spending your hard-earned bucks on performance parts if 'stock" is not good enough. BUT, first get to know the characteristics of your stock Viper! BTW, a lot of us have owned Mustangs, Cobras, Vettes in the past and some have them in their garages currently.

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You just missed Cody's 1992 Viper (27th built):

http://forums.viperclub.org/showthread.php?t=604283

It was in the high-$20's and would have allowed you plenty of speed-related budget to get into the 10's without much budget-fretting.

Watch ebay and the classifieds here, there are more than a few owners upgrading to the 08 Viper and selling one of their toys as a downpayment.

Regards,
Aaron

T.C.z.

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've been in a Corvette, and I've been in a Viper. I never had a single girl even do a double take at me when I was in the Vette, but I can't stop them from staring at me in the Viper.

:D :D :D :D

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My favorite event T.C.z. was when I was at a stoplight after work and a guy and his much younger attractive wife (I noticed her ring) pulled up beside me in his brand new Mercedes S500 4matic. His wife smiled, and just couldn't stop checking out my car and the husband got real upset and was yelling at her, she sorta "waved" at him to leave her alone and kept watching the Viper as we left the light. He was so angry, he immediately turned left and nearly hit a curb doing so.

I know enough to know what her smile meant, she absolutely LOVED the Viper and her heated/air conditioned and even massaging seats didn't mean a thing anymore. I'd be surprised if that guy didn't immediately go buy a Viper to keep her happy.

Regards,
Aaron

OP
OP
C

crow_48032

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. I've been back and forth about it for a long time but I think I've finally decided to step among the few and the pround.....I'm gonna go for the viper. Thanks for the help so far....if there is anything I should know before making a purchase please let me know! I'm gonna shoot for a 97 or newer because If I'm gonna pay the money for the car I at least want the 450 horse to work with than the 415. That and I need a car that has windows that roll up. (You just never know how fast the weather can change on you here in Michigan.

Another thing I would like to know, because I can't access the Michigan regional forum because I'm not a VCA member is.....where are there dealers to have work done on these cars, and which performance shops can be trusted?

I live on and off between Port Huron and Mt Pleasant, and the only performance shops I know of are livernois motorsports and Lidio's in Chesterfield I believe. Anyone know of any reputable performance shops in Michigan?

(I can't thank you guys enough for the help!)

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yayyyyyy--great decision!!! May you find the perfect Viper for yourself!!! Here in NY we have Chuck Tator--we don't need anybody else! For you in Michigan, I do not know....those guys will have to chime in on who to bring your Viper to a reputable Viper Technician. Go with suggestions from your area people who have Vipers that have been in for service near you. GOOD LUCK and WELCOME!!! ~juli
**Understand your need for windows, as we're in NY, same weather as MI....~

RayC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know of any shops in your area. I'm in Jackson and we have dealt with two dealers over the last several years that have good viper techs. Not really a performance shop for tuning or dyno but they can provide service and some upgrades to stock performance. Check with local dealers ask about avalability of viper tech ask to meet him and find someone your comfortable with. As for performance shop the MCVO (motor city viper org.) does several events such as track days, tech days & dyno days. I have found the best resource for finding info on mods or shops is asking other members. Usually you can find someone who has done x, y, or z to a car and what the outcome was, would they do it again, who would they have do it, etc.? Also as stated above don't discount a newer Gen 3 car (unless you prefer gen 2 styling), there are some great deals out there now on Gen. 3's. Good luck.

OP
OP
C

crow_48032

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yayyyyyy--great decision!!! May you find the perfect Viper for yourself!!! Here in NY we have Chuck Tator--we don't need anybody else! For you in Michigan, I do not know....those guys will have to chime in on who to bring your Viper to a reputable Viper Technician. Go with suggestions from your area people who have Vipers that have been in for service near you. GOOD LUCK and WELCOME!!! ~juli
**Understand your need for windows, as we're in NY, same weather as MI....~

Thank you, I'm very excited.....I've looked at a lot of cars on autotrader and have seen some real beauties! I'm real busy working three jobs, and still taking fulltime classes for another semester so I think I'm just gonna keep saving and put a few more grand away to purchase something maybe in the winter months when prices go down, or continue to save and hopefully make my purchasing options a little greater, either that or have money to do some slight mods right off the bat.

Ya you need to be carefull of the NY and MI weather. The only time I was in NY was when it was cold and snowy....very depressing but it was still neat to see how all the street performers were still on the streets and all that great stuff. It's really a fun place out there! I couldn't see driving a viper through time square though! :drive:
Not with all those taxi's and people honking their horns at ya! :crazy2:

I don't know of any shops in your area. I'm in Jackson and we have dealt with two dealers over the last several years that have good viper techs. Not really a performance shop for tuning or dyno but they can provide service and some upgrades to stock performance. Check with local dealers ask about avalability of viper tech ask to meet him and find someone your comfortable with. As for performance shop the MCVO (motor city viper org.) does several events such as track days, tech days & dyno days. I have found the best resource for finding info on mods or shops is asking other members. Usually you can find someone who has done x, y, or z to a car and what the outcome was, would they do it again, who would they have do it, etc.? Also as stated above don't discount a newer Gen 3 car (unless you prefer gen 2 styling), there are some great deals out there now on Gen. 3's. Good luck.

I know Port Huron and Mt Pleasant are completely dead when it comes down to any kind of performance work. I'm not so nervous on what mods to do because I'm sure I'll figure that out with just a little research on here and a few questions. My main concern is just who's doing it! I would hate to have to travel out of state for a dyno tune, or for a simple install like headers and what not. I wouldn't mind driving a good three hours to find a good performance shop that can get the job done right.

More importantly than that is a place that can actually do repair work on the car in case something does go wrong. Looking at one of the sticky's at the top of the forum it looks as if Dodge has stopped production on a lot of Viper parts is this correct? Is this something I should be worried about looking into purchasing a 97-99 Viper? I would hate for something to seriously go wrong on the car where I would have to search an arm and a leg for a fix, or have a cosmetic issue come up that I wouldn't be able to handle!

Does M.C.V.O. have a web site?

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Crow: FYI------------we are in Albany, NY.......when someone says they're from NY, they don't always mean NYCITY!!!!! LOL....EVERYbody does that!!! I've personally never been to NYC, and Mike has driven semis there (never again!!!).....we live in a more urban area, and both Mike & I are from country areas in NY State....a very pretty state....same as Michigan, been there (to Detroit)....save, save, save and you'll get your dream car!
~juli~

OP
OP
C

crow_48032

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats funny because when people say new york they think times square, MTV, and the statue of liberity, when people say michigan they think Detroit. haha and I live on 20 schers of forest land with a river running through it next to a huge corn field.

So both of us can understand that I guess....haha

Crow: FYI------------we are in Albany, NY.......when someone says they're from NY, they don't always mean NYCITY!!!!! LOL....EVERYbody does that!!! I've personally never been to NYC, and Mike has driven semis there (never again!!!).....we live in a more urban area, and both Mike & I are from country areas in NY State....a very pretty state....same as Michigan, been there (to Detroit)....save, save, save and you'll get your dream car!
~juli~

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep--kinda funny, huh?!! But, no, I've seen more of Michigan than Detroit...it's as pretty a state as NY State is....and as diversified as well. Yep, Mike now drives thru farm country...where we both hail from (from various places though). Geography lessons, huh?!! LOL ENJOY~~juli

revived_gearhead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
~juli~

Juli, what part of N.Y. farm country are you and Mike originally from? I'm originally from the Endicott/Binghamton area. The blizzard of 1993 did me in! Left in 1996 for the great state of NC. Never knew that the sun shined so much. You are correct that the upstate area is one of the most scenic (for 4 months a year). Ha Ha! You can tell I certainly don't miss the Winters. You represent N.Y. very well. Keep cruising:2tu:

Dwight

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I’m between a rock and a tough spot. In 2002 I bought my first sports car, a 2000 Firebird Formula. I had fun with it for a while, put some chrome wheels on it, the SLP Loudmouth catback, and installed ram air, and a ram air hood. It was nice, and fun while it lasted but after a while it was just too slow for me, and not a whole lot of fun to drive Soon after the mod wars started happening around town, and everyone was running around with procharged LS1’s and built LT1’s.

Then I started hearing about these 03/04 Cobra’s and after research I quickly saw their potential and wanted to get rid of the old Firebird and jump into one of these Stangs. Well, college came after that, I saved every penny I could spare, finally sold the Firebird a few months back, and now I’m finally in the ball park range for a nice 03/04 Cobra. But since I fell in love with the Mustang Cobra the C6 Corvette has been released.

Now I’m realizing that if I wait just a little longer which I have no problem doing, I could easily pick up an 05 C6 coupe with decent miles on it, as well as maybe even an older Dodge Viper.

I’ve been on autotrader left and right looking at all these Cobra’s, C6’s, and Vipers, and all it’s giving me is a giant headache. My ultimate goal is to have a low 11-second car that might even run high 10’s on a good day. The car I buy I’m planning on keeping for life, and keeping stored for winters, and bringing it out nice days during the summer.

I’m completely lost and looking for some guidance. I don’t want to put my life savings away to get a 10 second car, but then if I have the money and could be cruising around in a C6 Vette or Viper, it just makes driving more fun, and of course more looks, compliments, and girls!
You must be registered for see images attach

I just got on this forum so I haven't had a whole lot of time to research but just by going through google it seems like it's hard for me to find performance parts for the vipers. I come up with a bunch of stuff for the Cobra's and the Vette's but barely anything for the Vipers. I think all three cars are pretty awesome but I'm looking for practicality, I guess. I've tried hearing back from the guys on corvetteforum.com and I had a couple responces but not a lot of help. Basically they just dogged on the the viper and the cobra which was expected. I'm just looking for some other opinions.

(I would love to go with a Viper, I mean....it's a freakin Viper, who wouldn't! But If I go with a 97-2002 how hard will it be to get it in the low 11's high 10's.)

I don’t know…. I’m sure some of you guys know how I feel, or have been in my shoes before. so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :headbang:

Go with the Vette or Cobra. The Viper is definitely the best car out of the three from many standpoints but the Viper tax will kill you and since you say you are looking for practicality I say go with one of your other choices. The Cobra is the cheapest to get into the high 10's or 11's or with the vette a nice procharger would do it for you. Insurance on the Viper at your age will also probably KILL you. :dunno:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Consider starting at '01. First year for antilock brakes. I've never felt them come on, even under hard braking from well over 100 mph, but I like the back up plan they offer.

I remember during an F1 race a while back the TV crew discussing traction control etc - whether the driver or the computer was faster at responding - and it was unanimous for the computer. Like the ABS computer.