SOS! Engine clicking issue!

ZDigital1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Need some technical assistance,
Was coming home from a local car show this evening and everything was running great. Was coming off an off ramp and hit the accelerator hard, pulled 2nd gear and bounced off the rev limiter and engine just died! Coasted to the side of the road and car will not start. When I turn the key, everything lights up as usual, radar detector, instrument panel, flashers etc..... When I hit the start button, I hear a clicking from under the hood, definitely not the starter! I did notice that all fuel, temp, oil pressure gauges had an orange or red indicator lit up in the left bottom corner of the gauges. Odd thing was that all the gauges were showing zero! Anyone have any suggestions, or is it going to be a dealer fix?
Help in Peoria! :confused::confused::confused:

Thanks in advance.
Scott

P.S. Had to load car in enclosed trailer to get her home.

OP
OP
Z

ZDigital1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm guessing that you're not running factory powertrain electronics?

Snake Pit Performance integrated the Split Timing Box with the Paxton. Other than that, I'm pretty sure all of the factory wiring is in place. I plan on calling Mike on Monday morning. I was hoping there was a quick fix for this.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was coming home from a local car show this evening and everything was running great. Was coming off an off ramp and hit the accelerator hard, pulled 2nd gear and bounced off the rev limiter and engine just died! Coasted to the side of the road and car will not start. When I turn the key, everything lights up as usual, radar detector, instrument panel, flashers etc..... When I hit the start button, I hear a clicking from under the hood, definitely not the starter! I did notice that all fuel, temp, oil pressure gauges had an orange or red indicator lit up in the left bottom corner of the gauges. Odd thing was that all the gauges were showing zero! Anyone have any suggestions, or is it going to be a dealer fix?

Thanks in advance.
Scott

bouncing off the rev limiter might have had something to do with the ticking noise you heard. if im right, the dealer wont touch it.....

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
got me thinking.... i wonder if your break in procedure had anything to do with the clicking...

When Prefix installed the Front Splitter, this was a concern of ours as well. They have adjusted it so it is close to zero. The Splitter is giving a bit of downforce which assists the rear spoiler. So far, I have had the car up to 165 and it handles great. I am still breaking the motor in and I don't intend to take it much beyond. I really like the aggressive look it gives to the car and that is why I chose the ACR Splitter.
from this thread: http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-s...me-weekend-heres-teaser-sample-rebadging.html

dragon rider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like something with the box. It's probably a simple fix. With your mods, most dealers won't touch the car. Def. get in touch with the shop that did the install. Good luck.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Split Second box intercepts the Cam and Crank sensor data and modifies it when the car is under boost. There is a vacuum line going to it that allows it to detect when the engine is under boost. The box retards timing and turns on the auxiliary fuel pumps. If it fails the car will not run, however it should still turnover. My guess is that this is not your problem if the engine is not even turning over.

From what you're describing it sounds like the solenoid is clicking but the starter isn't turning. If that is the case, it could be the result of a bad battery. The battery may still have enough juice to turn on other electronics because they don't draw much current but the starter draws a lot of current. A weak battery might not have the power to turn it.

Check voltage on battery, it should be something like 12.5 volts if it is good. If it isn't charge it or replace it.

A bigger problem though is if there is something broken inside the engine that is preventing it from turning. The starter may be trying to turn the motor but a broken part or frozen engine might not turn. This would ****.

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks in advance.
Scott

Had a car with a bad PCM do that exact thing. Only gauge that worked correctly was the fuel gauge.

OP
OP
Z

ZDigital1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
SOS UPDATE!
I checked the 7 year old battery and it read 12.4 volts. As a precautionary measure, I replaced with a new one. IAfter speaking with Mike from Snake Pit Performance, he instructed me to check the ASD fuse since this one is directly linked to the rev limiter. Sure enough, it was blown and once replaced, car fired up. I hope this helps you Viper owners in the future. I now keep spares in the glove box!
:2tu::2tu::2tu::2tu::2tu:
Thanks again to everyone that made suggestions for my dilemna!
Scott

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know this sounds too simple, but I'll bet you blew one of the 20amp fuses. Replace the blown fuse with a 25 and it will never happen again. Don't ask me how I know, but I know. I went through a big ordeal, all the same sypmtoms, with my GEN III and that was the fix.

Try it, what have you got to lose?!

OP
OP
Z

ZDigital1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know this sounds too simple, but I'll bet you blew one of the 20amp fuses. Replace the blown fuse with a 25 and it will never happen again. Don't ask me how I know, but I know. I went through a big ordeal, all the same sypmtoms, with my GEN III and that was the fix.

Thanks gb66gth! That is exactly what I have done!

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
I also replaced the 20 amp fuse with a 25 after having it blow when I was teaching my son to drive the Viper. In learning to drive a stick, he killed it and then my Viper went dead. All electronics worked, but no starter. Tried to push start it - no luck. Almost acted as if the clutch switch was preventing the starter button from working. Very easy fix by changing out the blown ASD fuse in the engine bay,

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth