Sound system issue 2005 Copperhead SRT10

rdc3716

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Has any owners of this generation had issues with their subwoofer of the oem sound system?
I've checked everything that might cause the annoying rattle. Would like to find out any recommendations this group would have regarding expert audio techs.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Lots of people have issues with the factory sub from what I've read. I think the most common complaint was just the factory one blowing out or general aging and failing of the speaker surround. Taking it out isn't too bad though. You If you get the back panel off you can have a better look at it to see what might be wrong. Could be as easy as adding some new foam or wrapping the box in sound damping material or something. I put an aftermarket sub in the factory box in the long run.

Dead President

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 2003 SRT-10 with the same problem. I took it to a car audio shop in Encinitas, CA. He removed the subwoofer box, opened it up and epoxied the tube back in place. The foam material in the box had deteriorated and the subwoofer tube will rattle. You might be able to do it yourself, but it was worth the 1 hour of shop labor to have it done. If you remove the screws on the vinyl panel behind the seats, then remove the two racing harness covers with the Viper logo you can access the roll hoop bolts. Once you remove the roll hoops you can access the subwoofer box which is held in by three screws. Not difficult. You can either fix it or take it to the car audio shop. Mike works fine and we used the factory subwoofer.

OP
OP
R

rdc3716

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the suggestion. I took it to an audio pro and had the subwoofer pulled and sure enough the foam had deteriorated. He epoxied the tube and sounds great. As you mentioned, it was rather involved to get to the sub box but worth it. Thanks again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper