Special needs driver needs special oil...

SnakeBit06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey folks, I know there are a ton of threads about which viscosity oil to use for your Viper. But, my situation is a bit different. I have been putting about 600 miles/week on my '06 with probably 200-300 miles spent above 100 mph. With this kind of use on my engine, should I use a special oil or viscosity? A Vette guy out here says he "will only use Royal Purple in his beast" (beast. ha.)...any thoughts on Royal Purple?

Thanks for the help and advice.

hightest

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Royal purple has alot of issues. There are alot of reports regarding their false claims through independant testing.
Personally, I have tried royal purple in the past and I would find that after only a couple of thousand miles I would start having significantly lower oil pressures with the royal purple. As with many others on this forum; as well as on other performance car forums, I find that I have the best results using fully synthetic diesel oil (0w40 or 5w40). This includes use in my viper, superchared corvette, and my heaviy boosted turbo charged subaru.
just my .02

cubican

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just change my oil on my 2004 from mobil 1 10w30 to mobil 1 15w50 and what a difference it made, the motor sound great no more loud lifter noice and the oil pressure is great. I also used the high flow viper filter. I live in Texas so winter is not much of a problem.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get/use 5W-40 Deisel Synth. oil. Best stuff you can buy and can last 25K miles!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Most change it out at 3000 though :D

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Get/use 5W-40 Deisel Synth. oil. Best stuff you can buy and can last 25K miles!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Most change it out at 3000 though :D

What brand did you use, and roughly how much a quart? I will be changing out my oil in the spring and want to do away with the 10-30.
Thanks

tucker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This thread title begs the question; what oil does Twister use?

tucker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Haha thats was low but good. The other day i watched some stupid halloween video he posted and was wondering what goes through his head when he posts such videos.

I think the answer to your wondering is precisely nothing. He seems like a good guy though. Casio needs to hire him for their G-Shock line. He takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Tucker I'm pretty disappointed in your response time. Pull it together man. Tweesters a visionary!

SCLSSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been running with Viper Days for 6 years. Once I moved up to the advanced group(white group) and abusing my 03 SRT10 I started using MOTUL 300V 15-50. I have been in the race group for 3 years and still use MOTUL. This oil seems to have the best track record with people that are pushing their cars harder than most. Using Mobil 1 it was recommended to change the oil after every event, but with MOTUL we change it after every two enevts so the cost works out about the same. Many racers have their engines gown thru about every 75 hours just to freshen them up and it is rare to find any problems related to oil when using MOTUL. I just had an engine failure during a race but the engine kept running until I came into the pits after the race, and the failure was due to the bybass valve coming apart in the front cover. I am convinced the engine kept running because of the MOTUL oil. if it had failed while on the track at Pocono my season could have ended very badly. I ended up winning that race and then two weeks ago I won the National Championship for the GT-C class for the second time(2008 & 2010).

So I vote for MOTUL 300V 15-50.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
For Hard use the Motul 300V 15w50 race oil is the best.

Street oil- we use the Delo 5-40 truck oil or factory fill.

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been running with Viper Days for 6 years. I ended up winning that race and then two weeks ago I won the National Championship for the GT-C class for the second time(2008 & 2010).

So I vote for MOTUL 300V 15-50.

I hadn't about the championship!!! CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!

Steve A.

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Though I don't push my Snake to it's limits, I switched to Motul this last time around. It was highly recommended by my tech as good insurance ... they have never had an engine blow in a race and trash bearings when running it, unlike Mobil 1. The way *I* figure it, the OIL is the most basic life support you can have in your ride ... why pinch pennies when it's so important to long life and consistent performance?