Sport Compact Car Magazine Ultimate Street Car Challenge 1/4 mile0-60,60-0

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 1/4 mile was on a dragstrip that was not prepped but was equal for all competitors.

Since the Skyline blew up, the whole event was running about 2 hours late by the time they cleaned up all the mess it laid all over the track.

They initially said there would be one 1/4 mile pass and there was no time to do the braking test as the sun was going down soon with the Gross Display of HP yet to be done.......

This particular 1/4 mile was set up so there was a radar gun on the rear of the car the whole time from start to finish. There was a laser beam tripped to start the timing for the 1/4 and there was one as you crossed the finish line(with the radar gun on the back of the car getting the instantaneous MPH the instant you cross the line).

The 0-60 was read when you hit 60 MPH in the 1/4.

I went 0-60 in 5 seconds. This may seem slow, but the fastest AWD Car on 4 hoosiers only could muster 4.8 seconds.

Dave Blankenbaker saw the graph of the acceleration curve for the first 1/4 mile pass. He said the MPH showed 150 MPH. He did not see the ET, but overheard the Supra guys saying I went 12.2. He also overheard the Supra guys saying the Viper had won.

Then they said we would all get a 2nd pass.

I was noticing I was getting 12.5 PSI with the filters in and did a very slow the 2-3 shift.

All I have to say is that those were the fastest 12 second passes I have ever done!

I was also at the top of 4th going through the traps, so I believe the 150 MPH trap speed without a doubt.

60-0 was my big downfall. I got last place here.

Here is what happened:

We were supposed to get to 70-80 MPH and hit the brakes.

I figured 2nd gear would yield the highest amount of engine braking to assist the brakes. Makes sense right? Wrong!

I should have been in 3rd instead.

Also I really did not practice the 60-0 braking with the Hoosiers or any tires for that matter. My mistake.

The first problem was that the car really does not transfer the weight from rear to front 60-0 like it does when I am on the closed course highway and hit the brakes at say 150 or even 100.

The second problem is that I was expecting to hear the tires to know when they are getting close to lock up. Hoosiers are like slicks and really do not make the squealing noise like a Pilot.

The third problem was the sand and dust on the uneven surface.

The last problem was that I only got one shot and ffed it up. Definitely my fault.....

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paolo,

You'd have to strap a rocket to your a$$ to go 150mph in the 1/4 mile with the rwhp your making..

Besides the point.. good run and sounds like you had fun! :laugh:

Gerald

Martin D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Gerald -

I would tend to agree with you on the MPH. However, one thing to consider is that in this test they are getting the Actual MPH at the END of the quarter, where as at the strip...it is calculated differently.

I would bet that with 912 at the wheels(non corrected), the car may go 143 - 145 at the track with slicks.

Regards,

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What Martin said -- both the MPH estimates and the fact that the radar setup is conservative on ET and optimistic on MPH.

OP
OP
P

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paolo,

You'd have to strap a rocket to your a$$ to go 150mph in the 1/4 mile with the rwhp your making..

Besides the point.. good run and sounds like you had fun! :laugh:

Gerald

Gerald, All I can say is that I was at the top of 4th gear by the end of the 1/4. When Heffner ran the car in Md, he got 114.6 MPH in the 1/8 mile. Gary's car gained 35 or so MPH in the 2nd 1/8 mile. If mine gained that, it would be right around 150 MPH.

Besides, there is more to MPH in the 1/4 than peak #'s. THere a=is area under the curve and how long you can go through each gear to get the maximum HP and torque multiplication in that gear before shifting to the next one.

Thanks for your positive response!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets