Spot Repair - Blending - Technique question

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in the midst of a small spot repair on a base/clear panel. (Hennessy front fascia)

From what I can gather, you do not have to match the repair primer and base layers with the OE layers. The repair simply goes on top of what OE layers you have left after you have completed the damaged area.)

If I have this right, you simply do your repair and primer where needed. This primer can be on the OE clear this is not a problem.

Then you do you base layers, and these too can be over the OE clear. (you blend them just so they are smooth)

Then finally, you clear your repair and blend into the OE clear.

On final thing, where you cut through the OE base, you may want to cover that with pimer since base on base can have issues???

Bugman Jeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Base on base can sometimes have issues, it's best to prime any exposed OE base. You'll need to make sure the remaining OE finish is scuffed enough for the new primer/paint to stick. I've found it works best to scuff and clear the whole panel so you don't end up with an odd texture at the new clear-old clear transition.

OP
OP
Tom and Vipers

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can clear the whole panel, but 1/2 of it will sanded clear.

OK base one base is problematic - just what I expected. So primer it!

Its funny , this spot repair started small and simple and has balooned to about twice the effort ! (so what else is new!

Thanks
Tom

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62