Spun rods and slipping clutches... why and when?

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, looking for a used Viper as some may have noticed. The engines seem very durable when properly taken care of. However, I have read on these forums, a few cases of spun crank bearings. I have to assume this is due to low oil or improper maintenance. Is there anyway to look out for this? Does mileage have any affect on this, or can it happen anytime when oil is low, or some other reason? I think a spun bearing makes a knocking sound, right?

Next, what is the typical lifespan of a properly operated clutch in these cars? I am trying to avoid any costly maintenance right out of the gate, as my wife will immediately question why I spend all this money and its already in a service bay.

Thanks!

Derek

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, it's typically the #3 rod bearing that go bu-bye. The stock LUK clutches are good up to 700 RWHP and are easily replaced when required.

OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, it's typically the #3 rod bearing that go bu-bye. The stock LUK clutches are good up to 700 RWHP and are easily replaced when required.

Ah, rod bearing, not crank bearing (I said rods in my post title, not sure what I was thinking). That would still make a nice clunking sound at idle I assume.

As for stock clutches at stick HP levels, how many miles do they last under normal use, on average?

Thanks!

Derek

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just depends on the driver. Mine have typically lasted about 40K, but have seen others get over 100K. Some go as quick as 10K because they ride the clutch a lot.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There's a little bit more to the cases you may have read about spun rod bearings or bearing failure on the Gen. III engines. Bearing failure is primarily due to oil starvation issues from tracking due to the G-forces pushing the oil to one side of the pan. I don't recall, however, this being an issue with regular street driving. For those who do track their Vipers often, most simply add the comp coupe oil pan with the swinging arm pickup. I doubt that improper maintenance is a likely cause in this case as most Viper owners are very meticulous (including myself) especially when it comes down to something as simple as routine maintenance.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vipers for the most part, are pretty bullet-proof. Excluding ridiculous driver abuse and/or lack of care. I love/respect mine, but definately haven't been overly "nice" to it. Lots of track days, agressive driving and whatever. Over 45,000 miles,-original clutch and no problems with the motor.(stock pan and oil pick-up) just add one extra quart of oil before track days and it's good to go. and no, the miata's don't pull away from me in the corners. Stay under the rev limiter,(don't miss a shift) don't slip the clutch,(with over 500 ft lbs of torque, why would you anyway) and just respect it for what it is, operate within mechanical limits. These things are KILLER!

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What Allan says is good advice. However, I have an 03, and would certainly upgrade the oil pan if I tracked it. Allan's is an 06, and I believe in 05 they changed something internally on the 8.3 liter engine oiling-passage wise, so those are less prone to issues - which is also why a slightly different weight oil is spec'ed as well.

OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So it sounds like a normally street driven car, if maintenance was upkept, should not inherently have an issue with bearing failure. Clutches seem like they should last a +40K if not abused. Ok, this is great info - thanks! Of course, even knowing this, there is no guarantee that there could be engine problems, so I will still be cautious.

Derek

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually though the Comp Coupe oil pan is not the way to go. Simply use the Gen 4 oil pan. Both have a swinging oil pickup but the Gen 4 pan is waaaay cheaper. Put one on my 06 for like 800 bucks or something like that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456