SRT/10 Observations: or A second look at a first impression (long)

Bob Woodhouse

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you ever caught yourself resisting change? What I have read on this board about the new SRT-10 tells me that many of us have. I catch myself all the time. Which is what urged me to write this note to you all.

I had some private moments in our dealership Viper Pit yesterday with both the Gen II and III Vipers side by side. After an hour of silent observation, I walked out with a whole different attitude.

Wow, gentlemen, this new Viper is amazing. Oh you knew that, but think of this; it is being brought into the world with little fanfare, with an understated press release, if you could call it that, closer to a media vacuum in relation to what the car is. In fact, there isn’t even a brochure for this car, well why should there be, we Viper people already own the first year of production, none left to buy. So why try to impress anyone?

Why did it fall under my radar? To keep anxiety and disappointment from butting heads continuously I just put it out of my mind until 18 of those gorgeous creatures got lowered to the concrete here in Blair.

Observations: Photos are lame, the car is much bolder and in your face, visceral; than the camera lens can grab. Wow; justice is done in black, the linearity of design, the plateaus and creases on the body come out, the car is menacing, bat-mannish, trekky. Those wheels, chrome plated, and the only glitz on the car puts a bigger than life, cartoonist flavor to it.

Yes you can feel the engine, more power is without question from our previous brethren. Does it drive any better? No; it is the same in terms of steering feel and the fact you can't take your eye from the road much. Seating position is better, view through the windshield and those powerful fender peaks, pedals are awesome, gauges, hah how about that; an oil temp!, love the bright interior lite on the bottom of the mirror, love the totally absolutely wonderful radio, 6 disc in dash with a gazillion huge and tiny speakers. Top is a work of art. Convertibles are problematic with fit and finish, (just an observation of my short 32 years of car business). But this, the best I've seen. It has those side windows that inch up at door closure too and an outside hidden keyhole that opens the door when the battery goes dead. Sheer genius. Headlights will light a battleship; the exhaust sound is quieter but better tone because you hear both sides out of each pipe. There are another 100 stories to tell. Whoa, no mindnumbing intended.

It humors me to read the stories written by car magazine editors and their attempt at relating a supercar such as this new viper to a magazine audience. First they talk about the styling, and then they drive it and interpret what they felt. Judging from their eager to impress prose; most should explain mini-vans; the few that CAN drive struggle to put the experience on the page. I finish reading their story with “Geez, nothing learned or fresh even though the car is”. My worry is that their influence is what a potential Viper purchaser relies on for his decision making process.

So how do you commit $85,000 without an experience or good opinion? There aren’t too many ways you can get an all out test drive in one of these. So from my posterior’s experience to those who haven’t yet been behind the wheel; expect to feel like you are the weakest link. This car is incredibly fast and a lot of pilot training is in place before the outer parameters of it’s goodness can be extracted. Hmm, maybe there is a reason the driving experience is never explained appropriately! Exclusivity has it’s price!

Hans Christian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bob,

Thank you for your bold description - YEAH !!

I cannot wait much longer for my 2004 to come - ARGH - luckily it is ordered through the Prince of the hill - YEAH you guessed it - Mr. Billy boy Pemberton !!

Best Regards

Hans Christian

M. ROD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Something similar happened to me. I was catchig myself all the time as well. Then I finally realized that:

"El Viper, no hay que tratar de comprenderlo; solo hay que amarlo!"

Trans.:

The Viper, you don't have to try to understand it; you just have to love it!

The SRT-10 finally got to me, don't know what it is but it finally got to me. I love it!!! Now how about that coupe.

Take care, Mike.

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there any way I can go to the factory and get ours started? I have my own tools. Just to help? I'll do it for free
supergrin.gif
That was an awesome write up, thanks!

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree. Over the past week I have been at Bill Luke Dodge in Phoenix on two different occasions. Although I ordered a red one, the black one is a killer. Eddie Martin(one great Viper Tech), had Gen 1, 2, and 3 vipers in the back car bays. The car grows on you...the edges are sharp, defined, and elegant yet all viper. There is no comparison the the fit and finish on the 2003 versus my 2001. The gauges and seats are great. As per my previous thread, I want a coupe but at present my current coupe will get traded in for what will be my fourth viper.

2charmed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bob,

Thanks for the write up!
I agree that the SRT is the Viper we never had as it is a true
convertible. I wouldn't buy an RT/10 yet I have had 3 GTSs (one ACR) and Yet I have an SRT/10 on order. I would prefer a street version of the SRT/coupe, but the Convertible still has enough to get my purchase. I could buy another C5 convertible, but why? They are giving those away and have had 0% financing for quite some time (gone for now). The vette is a great car, with great deals to be had for now, but it's not a VIPER. The SRT may not have the
exterior styling of the GTS, but that's ok, I'll take the SRT IF/WHEN it comes and anxiously wait for the SRT/coupe to arrive.
I love Ferraris, what red blooded American male doesn't, but I still prefer the Viper, sure it's less money and it's not as refined as the Ferrari, but that's what most of us like about it.
It's "visceral" as you put it, now if they would build the DAM$
Coupe so I could stop drooling over the Ford GT I'd be a happy camper!
bounce.gif

2charmed

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Great observations, Bob. With Gen I, Gen II, and SRT-10 sitting in same garage for a couple of weeks, one can see the wonderful evolution of the breed...and in particular, this New Beast!! I'm presently eying all the subsystems for future routine maintenance work...Ya gotta love having 18 brake pistons on the New Puppy !!!

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Bob,

More, More, More! Please, your evaluation is awesome.... keep it coming (how 'bout some track time experiences?)

.... and by the way .....

Make mine silver..... and make it fast!!!!!

VIPERGILLY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
big up's dr. bob (a.k.a. number #1)

everybody and their brother talked about how the srt-10 looked like all these other cars, before they got a chance to see the car in person and drive it. these people are siging a different tune now. thank you bob, still number #1 in my book. gilly

FASTRNU

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the awsome write up, Bob. I love the new design.

I have a 2004 on order with Bill P. also. I am looking forward to getting it. I am trying to decide whether to have you all deliver or do a CAAP pickup.
Dave

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Steve is absolutely correct! And now it is even more special as factory tours are on hold corporatewide!

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As always, very well put by one of the most respected guys in the Viper world.

You asked, "So how do you commit $85,000 without an experience or good opinion?" I think that the first SRT buyers are made up of 10% car collectors that will put the cars in mothballs and count them as one of their investments no matter what the reviews. There are probably 5% or so that bought them with the intent to resell them at a profit. I think the remaining folks are car fanatics that have the utmost confidence that DC will deliver a great car. Those people placed their orders and their deposits without a single review being written. They committed themselves and their money without even knowing the price of the car. They knew that DC and the SRT team simply would not release a car that was a step backward. As all were existing Viper owners that knew EXACTLY what DC could deliver, the prospect was very bright indeed.

So where do those remaining millions gain their excitement about this incredible car? I suspect that the 85% represented above will be a HUGE factor. The Viper Nation seems pretty active in the overall motor scene. Expect the new SRT to show up at car shows, drag strips, auto crosses, and road races. And with the exception of that pesky Mini Cooper, will absolutely blow people away (just ribbing you Todd
wink.gif
). In a showroom that was almost devoid of living souls yesterday (impending snowstorm), I watched every single one migrate to the SRT for a better look.

When you put these cars in the hands of seasoned Viper drivers, the REAL numbers will get posted - and not by those minivan-coddled magazine writers. How long will it take for the Mike Bruntons and Evan Smiths of the world to post some deep 11 second 1/4 mile runs in a stock car? Probably not very long. And how many current Viper owners have seen an SRT in person? Relatively few. Even those that saw early cars have not seen the production car that has a few tweaks to make it that much better. Indeed, one of our local members has ordered a red SRT. He saw only one in person, and that was last May at a Viper Days event in Iowa. The DC rep wouldn't let us anywhere near the car ("stay outside the ropes, folks"), and it was still fairly impressive - just not "knock you socks off" impressive.

So this same local guy went to check out the black SRT that just arrived in Kansas City. He was amazed at the difference. He told me that he thought it looked much more like a European exotic than what he remembered seeing in Iowa. Now, he hasn't even gotten to sit in one yet. Many of us had that opportunity in Nashville, even though they were apparently "test cars". I know that he, and just about every other Viper owner, will be blown away when they actually drive this car. It is "Viper" through and through, yet so much more so. Most will want to buy the seats to retrofit their Gen I's and II's. Others will want to figure out how to get those headlights and gauges in their car. Everybody will want to get that motor, even if it isn't quite as "exotic" looking. Word of mouth will spread and it will spread fast.

The SRT will gain an audience very quickly both in and out of the Viper Nation. I plan to take LOTS of folks for a ride in ours when it arrives (and the &%$^%# snow goes away), including a lot of Viper owners. While the GTS will always hold a special place in my heart (and maybe one day again in my garage), there is no doubt whatsoever that the SRT will make a name for itself in very short order. That Bill Pemberton guy will be very busy!

Chris