SRT-10 Truck a mistake?

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw the new SRT-10 truck in a video clip at the Auto Show.

Just when I thought the exclusiveness of the Viper engine was held by the priveldged owners of a Viper, Detroit has bastardized this bold and unique powerplant furnishing their latest "Pickup" with the new V-10. So now what? My Viper has a pickup motor in it? Granted Dodge has been using a V-10 in the Ram for years, it is needless to say that the Ram motor hasn't exactly been a "Viper" motor. About as accurate as labeling the Suburbans of the mid-late 90s as "Corvette Powered".

The Ls1 is a great motor but corvette owners are often poked fun at by having the same engines as their Camaro/Firebird counterparts for a good 100% price increase.

At least Dodge isnt putting a 4.6L v8 in their signiture Muscle car and a supercharged 5.4L in their truck (cough cough cough FORD!)

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The thing is your Viper has always had a truck motor in it (origins anyway) The RAM SRT-10 is going to be an awesome truck, I mean if dodge wasn't producing it, anyone can buy a crate V-10 and put it in a truck (it's been done) even in a jeep YJ! Except this comes factory with a full warranty. I bet alot of Viper owners are going to scoop these things up FAST because it's an everyday Viper (sorta).

I can't wait to see one up close.

Craig

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love the Ram SRT.. and I LOVE the idea of tons more Viper engines out there.

Imagine buying a $900 set of headers? Or a supercharger for $6,000? Or getting an engine package for $10k?

Truck guys aren't going to pay Viper prices for parts. And since they motors will be the same, it will really drive down the price of performance parts that are interchangeable, and will increase the time and money tuners spend developing parts for the Viper engine.

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will the Ram SRT-10 be at the Barrett Jackson in Phoenix this week?

OP
OP
S

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wasnt the V-10 in the viper first?
smile.gif
. So the old dodge ram has a viper motor in it. YES! When I blow up my motor ill just get a V-10 ram motor from the junk yard and drop it right into my Viper
smile.gif

But heres my question. A fast pickup truck is stupid. Why doesn't dodge make a Viper v-10 powered 4x4 ram. 500HP & 500ft/lbs and 4 wheel drive. That would be sweet.

Why would you want a viper motor in a pickup that traditionally has a 360 CI motor. The 304 cant even hook up the power.

NJTy180

Enthusiast
Reaction score
**** , is there any Viper owner who doesnt hate the Ram SRT-10. Sheesh, you guys make it sound like its the end of the world. Big deal, they put the same motor in a truck. Now the Viper has a big brother. Why dont you Viper guys buy one and make it a tow vehicle, how badass would that be? or maybe just for kicks one day roll up to the track with you Viper on the trailer, unhook the trailer and go run the truck, how funny would that be? c'mon guys, ya gotta have a little fun with this. who knows, Dodge might not even use that motor, we're all gonna have to wait and see. I think Dodge totally kicks *** and Chevy and Ford are gonna be walking around with their tails between thier legs after this one. way to go Dodge!!!!

OP
OP
S

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now an AWD fast truck is cool. The cyclone and typhoon.

Didnt we already go through this?

You must be registered for see images attach

yippie . . .

NJTy180

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SapphireGTS:
smile.gif
. So the old dodge ram has a viper motor in it. YES! When I blow up my motor ill just get a V-10 ram motor from the junk yard and drop it right into my Viper
smile.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ummm, please tell me your smarter than that. The old Ram V-10 was a steel block, not aluminum like the Viper. Thats why those trucks sucked and warper the heads under heavy towing.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
But heres my question. A fast pickup truck is stupid. Why doesn't dodge make a Viper v-10 powered 4x4 ram. 500HP & 500ft/lbs and 4 wheel drive. That would be sweet.

Why would you want a viper motor in a pickup that traditionally has a 360 CI motor. The 304 cant even hook up the power.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

this answer is simple too. They are doing it cause there is currently a HUGE sport truck market out there which Ford is currently walking all over everyone with. GMC's 10 year old Syclones and Typhoons can only do so much with todays trucks. We can still whoop them, but its harder and harder everytime something new comes out.

I agree it should be an AWD or maybe 4x4 version, but like they said at the auto show, it already weights 5000 pounds. a 4x4 version will greatly harm performance. im not sure what Dodge ran the 12.9 on, but if it was radials, imagine what a set of slicks or radial drags would do....

NJTy180

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SapphireGTS:
Now an AWD fast truck is cool. The cyclone and typhoon.

Didnt we already go through this?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

hahaha, i dunno , probably. I'm still a newbie, forgive me. I cant remember who i have to talked to or havent. dont take it personally.....

NJTy180

Enthusiast
Reaction score
**** , is there any Viper owner who doesnt hate the Ram SRT-10. Sheesh, you guys make it sound like its the end of the world. Big deal, they put the same motor in a truck. Now the Viper has a big brother. Why dont you Viper guys buy one and make it a tow vehicle, how badass would that be? or maybe just for kicks one day roll up to the track with you Viper on the trailer, unhook the trailer and go run the truck, how funny would that be? c'mon guys, ya gotta have a little fun with this. who knows, Dodge might not even use that motor, we're all gonna have to wait and see. I think Dodge totally kicks *** and Chevy and Ford are gonna be walking around with their tails between thier legs after this one. way to go Dodge!!!!

OP
OP
S

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was simply exaggerating the opposite. There was a post above that said the viper had a truck engine in it.

They are not the same at all. I know that.

As for already going through this. I meant dodge already going trough it.

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
smile.gif
smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

While it is true that the v-10 was first in the Viper, the V-10 was designed to be in the trucks long before an engine for the Viper had been decided upon. Of course they're differen't motors completely. I just wanted to point out that without this idea for the ram, the Viper probably wouldn't have gotten the v-10 in the first place, the motor was already under development when the Viper concept was given a go.

I'd bet it would have been a 360 on steroids punched out to 400+ cubes.

Craig

Eric

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From someone that owns both the Viper and Viper Truck and loves driving them both, the truck gets the most attention at the shows. People cannot believe a RAM 1500 has a 500HP Viper motor in it and is connected to an Automatic Trans. The exhaust sound is so different than the Viper sound due to the length of pipe. My truck is geared 4:10 and has the same problem connecting as the Viper thus turning the 1/4 is the high 13's around 110 to 112 mph w/street tires.

My statement to Dodge about the SRT-10 Truck is "It's About Time" This in no way will detract from our Viper and for those of us that enjoy a little Sunday afternoon cruise in a vehicle that will suprise all the locals in their Hot Rods, Mustangs, Chevy and Ford Trucks, this is the ticket. In other words don't knock something you haven't tried or know nothing about.

My 3 cents.

OP
OP
S

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>In other words don't knock something you haven't tried or know nothing about.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know alot about it.

Its a 2 door 2wd 500 HP pickup with 24 inch wheels. If I cant take a truck off road or haul a ton for fertalizer, what good is it?
smile.gif

I know nothing about this (see pic) but put the srt V10 in it and Ill give you my first born.
You must be registered for see images

NJTy180

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Eric:
People cannot believe a RAM 1500 has a 500HP Viper motor in it and is connected to an Automatic Trans.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

what truck are you talking about? the Ram SRT-10 concept has a 6-Speed, not an Auto..... ?????

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The viper motor was also origionally going to be a Diesel for a truck.

Honest.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You still don't beleive me?
Sheesh, I guess I know nuting!
would somebody please back me up on this.
Craig

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The reason they used RWD and not AWD is (and this is their words) it would be too heavy. I think part of the reason is people like the idea of a fast RWD truck that can roast the tires and kick the tail out in a turn. Can't do that with AWD. Plus the lightning is RWD - and it sells well. AWD is more $$'s and they need to compete with the Lightning. They already got a $15k motor in there, they need to save money elsewhere
smile.gif

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I ever get the **** (I didn't say ****, just put "****" in place of ****) cert for the SRT Viper, I'm considering trading my 01 in for the SRT Ram, get an enclosed trailer in red, and pull the SRT/Trailer with the SRT (Ram). All Red (or black). That would be nice IMO. Fun to dream.

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think one thing everyone is overlooking is the price for the Ram SRT-10 I have not seen the estimated price yet but this is what I would guess.

Base truck with options $25K
Viper drive train (engine, trans, rear end) $20K
Special wheels & Tires $5K

So at a minimum its a $50K truck more likely near $60K with all the options, taxes, fees, etc. Now how many $50K trucks do you think they will sell? I would say under 1,500 more like 1,000 or less.

It's going to be a very rare exclusive truck. If this were a mass produced truck with say 20,000 per year then I agree with many of the other Viper owners concerns. But in reality it will be more rare than a Viper and just about as exclusive.

So forget about cheap headers, superchargers etc. Forget about seeing one on the road more than once per year. It's a toy for truck guys, who don't want a Viper.

Eric

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 1997 RAM 1500 Dodge Viper Truck, w/Automatic, Cruise, Power everything, Rack & Pinion steering and tons of power from a 97 Dodge Viper crate engine. This truck was modeled after the concept 95 as pictured in one of the above post except I used a Red truck (pictured in a summer edition of Viper Mag 2 years ago). As the other person posting said it will haul everything including staying with most stock Vipers down the quarter. To my knowledge (have been wrong before) it was the first Viper motor sucessfully connected to a Dodge Automatic without an adapter, cutting, etc.

I have owned 7 Vipers and have an order in for the 03 SRT, but I really like the truck.

Question: If Dodge built a Hemi Viper would it sell? If Dodge built a Hemi Neon would it sell? What about a Viper PT Cruiser?
The answer is Yes thay would sell because of different taste and opions to what someone desires. The Viper Truck is for a selected few that want something different. . .and they will get just that!

OP
OP
S

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good point eric. If you market right, anything will sell.

Pet rock. Rubber dog poo. The Cadallac Cimarron.

laugh.gif

If dodge wants to do something cool . . .
You must be registered for see images

haha
We have enough "sport trucks" on the road.
Im not dissing the SRT Ram. But Dodge shouldnt make that their IN YOUR FACE product and let it take the hype away from the new Viper.

Remember the SHO-GUN? The SHO/Yammaha Ford Festiva. THAT was cool.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MES,

The Ram SRT *IS* the Ram with the Viper engine, so it won't be an option... if you want the Ram without the motor, you can get it now.

As for the price, don't expect it to be anywhere NEAR $50k. The Ford Lightning is $32k or so, fully loaded, and Dodge has flat out said the price will be "competitive with the lightning". They have also said that production will NOT be limited like some of the other performance trucks - they will make as many as they can sell.

So, expect this truck to be available for the mid 30's, with the Viper motor. And this is a GREAT thing for us, since parts cost will go way down, and used motors should be much cheaper for Vipers from here on out.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can see your guys point..

I think maybe what they should do is not make it so obvious it shares the Viper engine. Maybe not call it the SRT? Something like RAM SRX, or Ram SSX or something. They should definitely remove the Viper badging from the side.

Under most circumstances I would want them to detune the motor, maybe use different heads or something, but in this case, i'd like them to be the same so there is maximum overlap of performance parts.

My .02. i doubt we hold any sway with Dodge on the future of the SRT though.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom R