SRT Making A Whining / Whistle Noise When Driving or Revving

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was out with a friend yesterday and I heard this weird noise coming from the engine. I took a video as it was the only way I knew how to capture the noise. What are your thoughts? I think it might be the belts? It is not supercharged by the way, as I know that is what most will ask first. Any help would be greatly appreciated as always.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BL1l5lG26JY

OP
OP
D

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was out with a friend yesterday and I heard this weird noise coming from the engine. I took a video as it was the only way I knew how to capture the noise. What are your thoughts? I think it might be the belts? It is not supercharged by the way, as I know that is what most will ask first. Any help would be greatly appreciated as always.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BL1l5lG26JY

Could that really be powersteering fluid with the whine noise?

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
could be a bearing in a idler pulley, alternater ect. those noises r hard to nail down, pull the belt off and c if it goes away.

345s-bspinnin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just pull the belt out and go for a spin. [Warning: you will not have power steering, cooling fan, or an alternator charging your battery and you will probably get a CEL]. However, its a sure way of knowing if your noise is induced by the engine or an accessory.

My $.02

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Power Steering is going out on youIMHO. Probably don't hear the whining until the cars water temp gets to 180 or so and the fan kicks on. Then the pump is running the fan and the steering. If it whines when you rev its going to go at some point. Im into my second one now in 4 years. Mine just went out this past Sunday on the track and I had the same whinning sound going until it totaly failed. New ones on the way from VPA:2tu:

Good Luck

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yup. PS Is my guess to. Try checking fluid level if you have not already done so. I have solved that sound in the past with topping up the fluid.

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently had the idler pulley go on my '02...it sounded a little like that. You could test it by having someone release the tension on the belt and then you spin the idler pulley. In fact, I'm sure you could do a few of the accessories that way to feel how much tension it takes to spin.

Regards,
Aaron