SRT Price

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What are the forecasts for pricing for the SRT?
confused.gif
An associated question: What is the price point where you would ask for your down payment back?
crying.gif

Mike - in Denver

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Clark at Christophers in Denver quoted me sticker price and then told me he could not get me one (see my other post). See Ya Clark...some other DC dealer will know something about the product they are selling.

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dr. Speed, were you asking what the price would be that Owners would bail on their certificate orders (ie. 70K 75K 80 or $85,000)?

OP
OP
G

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viperrick Bingo. Yes, I have also heard all the 500 to 1000 over invoice quotes. But the missing piece of the puzzle is what will dealer invoice or list price be? I expect that no one here knows. But I am sure we all have a price in our heads at which point we would balk at following through on the purchase.

I was at the Detroit show today pondering that today. All external appearances indicate a car that should be much cheaper to produce. That, plus the diminished appearance (my view) detract from the performance improvements. All said I would have a hard time paying much more than todays price. As has been said many times here before, you can add performance to anything. It is the styling that is difficult to add. The SRT does not have styling in spades anymore. In that case it competes against the like of the Vette + performance mods.

Ron

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark,

Well, DC is doing one of two things. Either they are playing us for fools and taking our money on a car that they haven't even finished yet, and allowing us to get all hyped up over something we don't know much about.

OR

They are doing their honest to god best to try to give us the first chance to buy a car that is sure to be AMAZINGLY popular. They are still tweaking it, and some decisions are still on the table, but they are really trying hard to be good to us who have been good to them.

I guess which way you see it depends on whether you're a "glass half full" type or a "glass half empty" type. I like to think I am an optimist, and that DC is doing something really special for us that they really don't have to. But that's just me.

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about $69,995. Now if you add destination charge of $750 and Gas guzzler of say 3K that would bring you to the price of a $2002. Take delivery after Jan 1, 2003 and save by not getting hit with Luxury tax. If this was the price who would cancel their order?

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The post above is strictly my opinion. But wouldn't it be great if DC gave us a new car for the same money as the old one. Don't disregard it since Daimler does it regularly with it's Mercedes line. Also it might be cheaper to produce so they will pass along the savings to us.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark,

I'll be totally honest with you.

*IF*, I was someone who was REALLY into elevators, and I always wanted to have the latest and greatest... and you were coming out with the XLX-29000 series, and we both knew it would be a hot seller, and you were willing to let me have first dibs on buying one, BUT, you didn't know the price and were only able to show me some pre-production models. Then you said I could place an order, but it would not be fulfilled for 6 months or more, but if I changed my mind, I could back out for no penalty... well then I would definitely place an order.

What makes the certificate program really unique (and different than the examples you cited) is that these cars are going to be HOT and hard to get for non-cert holders - I don't think most people get worked up about new elevators
smile.gif
.. at least I hope they don't.

The thing to remember is that Dodge is INCREASING their workload and the amount of paperwork they must process to make this happen. Not only did they not have to do this, but their lives would have been a LOT easier if they didn't do it. I can't think of any other car that was sold under this method - besides some Ferraris where you must be an owner to buy the new whatever. I think the fact that Dodge is doing this for us is awesome. I actually think the guys who are benefitting - those who will be using their cert - should chip in and send a few kegs of beer to the guys at Dodge who arranged this... it's the LEAST we could do!

Ray R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I received a call from the dealer I originally bought my GTS from informing me that they'd be willing to sell the 2003 for $2500 over invoice, which is "the best deal around". When I mentioned deals on the Internet for $500 over invoice, they said they would match any legitimate deal. I explained, as many have here, that without knowing what invoice was, I was reluctant to put money down on the car. They indicated that they didn't know exact numbers, but had heard from reliable sources that invoice would be in the 80's. They also offered to purchase my certificate from me if I wasn't going to use it. When I asked for a number, they asked "how much do you want"?

We'll see how this process goes. It's like negotiating a new car deal. They don't want to leave money on the table, and I want to get the best price I can. Except in this case, I guess the roles are reversed!

AZVIPERS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have heard the price will be around $85,000. The dealer I have spoken to said they would sell it at MSRP + 1000.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To be honest, I have tried and tried to "tap" all the folks I know to get some idea of what the price will be. And the best answer I've gotten is that it REALLY IS still up in the air, but I've been told "don't worry... you won't be disappointed". I guess that must mean to me that the new car will be priced no higher than the old one, or maybe even less. I *think* they will go with a very similar MSRP on the car. A 2002 RT has an invoice of $69k and a retail of $75k - WITH GAS GUZZLER INCLUDED! So I am hoping (and expecting) that this car will RETAIL well below $80k. I'm expecting about a $75k sticker with just under $70k invoice.

I think whatever dealer is saying an INVOICE in the 80s is full of it, and I find it VERY HARD to believe they are truly getting this info from Dodge, when some people "in the know" don't even know how much it will be.

Ray R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can anyone remember when a new version or model of a car cost less than its predecessor? Any car??? Maybe the new Impala SS (V-6) vs the '90s version SS (V-8)? I have to truely believe that with more hp, more torque, full convertible, dead pedal, etc, etc, the MSRP will be in the $80s or better.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ray,

I can tell you two right now...

1) Toyota Supra (price dropped almost $10k from one year to another)

2) Lotus Esprit - big price drop at one point.

The C5 Corvette was sold for something like <$500 increase in MSRP over the previous year C4.

The new Viper will be much easier (cheaper) to build, and I think Dodge knows they will be leaving money on the table if they sell it for LESS than the current one, but they can increase the MSRP by $500 or $1000, or even leave it the same, and INCREASE production, and INCREASE profit margins, and they are making a boatload more $$'s, while still giving all of us a good deal.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
It also seems likely that DC will price the car according to the waves it makes, or doesn't make. The process of price "discovery" is ongoing right now, as the demand is judged by public sentiment, and even these posts that we make.

fred

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Marc O is right! There is alot of risk here in commiting to buy a car that has no set price, has not been seen in person by most people let alone driven, is still undergoing some style changes, and is bound to have "problems" as it is the first year production. Remember the old saying..never buy the model "A" of anything!
Whats the rush anyway? Wait until you can see it, feel it, drive it, and the first year production glitches have been "fixed" then make an informed decision as to whether or not you want the car. To buy it now takes a lot of "Blind Faith". IMHO

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456