SRT Ram at VOI?

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If someone were to bring their SRT Ram to the VOI, would it be allowed to be part of the activities (parade, tour, whatever) just like the Viper? Probably have rules against it, but just thought it might be interesting.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting question indeed. And my vote would be no. Nothing personal against the Ram, as it is an awesome truck. But it is a truck and not a Viper in any way, shape, or form. Next thing you know the guys that supercharge their Hemi Rams will want to be part of the club too since they put out 500 HP. Then the nitrous Neons, then the turbo Corvettes, then the blown Mustangs... ;) Do the Ford Lightnings join the Mustang clubs? No.

Absolutely LOVE the truck, but it is NOT a Viper. Now when we become the Viper Powered Club of America, watch out! I know of at least one old Charger, a Jeep, and even a PT Cruiser that would qualify...

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it is a great addition to the Dodge performance group of cars/trucks. Viper powered is a great thing to be proud of, but, I agree with Y2K3SRT no trucks. This is not about being Viper powered it's about "Viper Owner Invitational". While it is a cool truck it is still a truck, not a Viper. I must also vote no trucks at VOI.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Boy this is a tough one, and it will probably continue to cause discussion. We have had a large majority of SRT-10 Ram owners, who also own Snakes, and they view them as Viper Trucks. With SRT guys/gals working on both vehicles it has more crossover than many of us realize. I am keeping an open mind as there seems to be a trend towards an SRT convention ( rumors only ) in the future for cost reasons, and I imagine that alone could cause some consternation. I don't think anyone has made a definite case for the SRT-10 at this convention, but I am sure it will be discussed intensely prior to Sept. Not flaming the fires, but wondering everyone's thoughts, as I haven't been able to give anyone an answer to Frank's question. We have 2 negatives, and a couple of maybes, so let's here from all of you on what your desires are.

Wayne Finch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love my Ram SRT, but I have to agree - this is a Viper event, not an SRT event. As fun and cool as the SRT4's are, it isn't the same either. And with the Crossfire SRT6 and the Magnum SRT8 and possibly a Jeep SRT8, where do we stop.

This is Viper Owners Invitational. VIPERS!!!!

Viperam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well Bill, it was nice to meet your folks at the SRT Meet in Gonzalez, LA a couple weekends ago. They were very helpful to me with questions I had about upgrading the exhaust on my Viper as well as giving me a few previews of things coming down the pike for the Ram SRT-10. Your competition coupe made my whole trip! It was nice talking to the PVO guys too.

As a dual owner - Viper and Ram SRT-10 - I would consider it a demonstration of "Viper arrogance" to exclude the Rams. The point made earlier about other 500 hp vehicles wanting to get in on the action is weak. In that case the word "Viper" doesn't even factor in. As you alluded to also, many of the usual suspects that service, train and support the Vipers also do double duty with the new Rams. Sorta smacks of fear that the spotlight will no longer shine as brightly on the "fair haired flagship". I seriously doubt that will ever be the case. If any vehicle has the potential to do that it might be the new Chrysler "supercar" concept. At local car gatherings where we take both the Ram and Viper, yes, the Ram gets a crowd, but EVERYONE still throngs the Viper. After all, its a Viper.

One thing is for sure. We took our SRT-10 to the SRT-4 Meet mentioned above and we openly welcomed. Surprisingly many of those owners were in an older age demographic than I would've expected. Nonetheless, we had a great time together.

Your implication that there may be a "SRT Meet" is one option for consolidation/cost savings from a sponsorship perspective, unfortunately that WOULD put a definite schism in the Viper ranks because while some snakes (SRTs)would be welcomed to attend, others would "not be on the 'A'-list". I think this has more negative potential to VCA members than Ram SRT-10s at VOI. But that's my opinion.

What's the real issue? Is it the fact that its a truck? Is it a concern that there will be less track time for anyone? If I bring my truck versus my car whoever's behind me in line will have to wait just as long regardless. Is it concern that some of the sponsors might spend more time gathering info on the new customer in their market(s)? If you read other threads in other VCA forums, there's already enough elbowing going on between Gens I&II Vipers and SRT Vipers.

Personally, I pay my dues just like every other member of VCA. If I want to bring my Ram SRT-10 instead of my Viper, that should be my choice. I'm not going to bring a Dakota or a Stratus. If I've paid my money and secured my reservation to have a great time along with everyone else - like always - why now should this issue make it a snobfest? And exposing an area of ignorance in my understanding, does one even have to be a VCA member to attend VOI? If so, I guess that's what it boils down to; is the person wanting to bring their Ram SRT-10 a VCA member or not? Fodder for discussion.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I presonally think that this is VOI - it's tailored for Viper owners, i.e. track, autocrossing, etc, as are the discussions with PVO / SRT. While there may be some crossover in the numbers of folks that have BOTH a Viper and an SRT-10 Ram, they are "different" vehicles. Even though they partially share a drivetrain, their uses and markets are different.

I would rather not see this be an SRT Owners Invitational, as I don't think the owners are necessarily looking for the same things out of their vehicles. It's be interesting to see the marketing data on these 2 vehicles.

The SRT-10 Ram is "close" to being a Viper, certainly closer than the other mentioned SRTs, but it's still not a Viper.

This isn't about a snobfest - it's about how to develop a common tie for all club members. The SRT-10 Ram folks should WANT their own club - and if the numbers batted around at CAAP are any indication, the number of SRT-10 Rams will surpass the total number of Vipers in a couple of short years.

The Cadillac XLR thing shares the Corvette drive train, but I doubt you'll see them both at Bowling Green.

Viperam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, this isn't an issue I'm personally vested in making a big deal about, but whether its VOI or some other place, its one that will affect Vipers - one way or another - and worthy of consideration. I'll be in the "proper attire" no matter which vehicle we have to "wear" at VOI.

And while I sense the purpose of your Caddy XLR analogy, my question is, would the XLR be turned away if it showed up at Bowling Green? Cheers. :cool:

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the answer. Have 2 events. One called the VOI for the Gen 1 and Gen 2 Vipers and the other for the SRT family which I don't care what it is called. If they have to have separate forums here let them have a separate party! OK take it easy on me, just a thought

9 seconds

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree that the truck should stay out of the track events but people take rental cars on the parades, tour, etc. so why not a Ram?

I like the SRT event idea only because I know a lot of the Viper snobs won't attend. It should be separate from the VOI though.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also am with the Viper only crowd. It is intended to be a Viper only event. If it opened up to Neons, Crossfires, Magnums, Ram SRT-10s, etc it would probably no longer be on my "have to go" list. Of that group the Ram is the least like a Viper. All it shares are the engine/driveline. Would a BMW be allowed to join in the same club as McLaren F1's (The F1 has a BMW engine). Corvettes shared the same basic engine with other Chevies for its entire life. Does that mean all Chevies that were offered with blue flame 6 or V8 engines (just about covers 5+ decades of Chevies) should be in the Corvette club? I know that is an extreme but I cannot make the linkage between a full size pick-up truck and a sports/supercar. Heck the Gen I/II share an ash tray with the K Car. Can they come also?

The SRT only and Gen I/II proposal is even worse, if that is possible. Separation of the Vipers into Gen I/II and SRT would mean the elimination of the Gen I/II event. At least any DC involvement. I do not see an OEM providing support for a discontinued car when they are supporting the current version in a different forum.

So it may be snobbery but I prefer to keep it a Viper only event. Open for all Viper years and styles.

9 seconds

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it opened up to Neons, Crossfires, Magnums, Ram SRT-10s, etc it would probably no longer be on my "have to go" list. Of that group the Ram is the least like a Viper. All it shares are the engine/driveline.

Shows how little you know about the truck or the other cars mentioned. I think the Ram being this years raffle vehicle and the other 49 special purchase VCA edition Rams available only to VCA members should tell you what Dodge thinks of this truck. But that's not the issue. Viper Owners Invitational is for Viper owners to have fun with their Vipers and other Viper owners. That shouldn't change. Besides, how long will VOI's last anyway? My guess is the Viper is the least profitable SRT line for Dodge.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a follow up on my earlier post. I am not trying to "exclude" anyone and be a snob in the slightest. Anybody that knows me knows that I love ALL cars of every vintage, make, and model. The SRT Ram is near and dear to my heart because of the motor. That said, it is simply not a Viper in any other way and is about as far from it as possible. Not designed for autocross or the road course, nor are those courses designed for a truck. Am I saying they should stay home? Hell no! However they should not be the "official" vehicle for any event held at VOI. VOI is for VIPERS, not anything else. Want to bring it on the scenic cruise? If other cars besides Vipers are allowed to participate, then by all means please do. And the Corvette analogy was accurate: Would they allow the Cadillac XLR at Bowling Green? You bet! Would they allow it to participate in the drag races, etc.? Not likely.

As for VOI, it is not a VCA event and you do not need to be a VCA member to attend. You do, however, need to be a Viper owner. So that opens up my next question: If you believe the TRUCK should be allowed at all of the events, does that mean that they should open it up to ALL SRT Ram owners whether they own a Viper or not? If so, it is no longer the Viper Owners Invitational and will lose one heck of a lot of Vipers in the process. It has nothing to do with being a snob, and everything to do with being a truck vs. a dedicated sports/exotic car. Oh, and we gladly welcome any and all SRT Rams to join our Kansas City VCA as associate members. But Vipers take priority at Viper events - even over our resident Murcielago, which is closer in purpose to a Viper. Just my humble thoughts...

I think the SRT Ram deserves a club all its own, just like the Ford Lightning has. If I owned an SRT Ram (and nobody in Kansas City won the option to buy the VCA edition) I wouldn't dream of expecting the Viper Club to have me as a full-blown member. Here is a link to Lightning Fest 2003 - you don't see any Mustangs. Nor should any Vipers, including the SRT, be allowed in the SRT Ram club other than as associate members. This has nothing to do with being a snob, exclusive, etc. It has everything to do with grouping your vehicle in a club with similar vehicles. The Dodge Viper is not and never will be a truck. And vice-versa.

9 seconds

Enthusiast
Reaction score
VIPERAM is a Viper owner and asked about bringing his Ram across country instead of his Viper. Simple. Only posts from people saying they aren't snobs mention anything else. Only reason to keep mentioning having the trucks officially part of the VOI, joining the VCA (where did that come from?) or comparing it to other clubs is to keep the argument going. Obviously nobody here is a snob. I mean, why would you keep post it over and over if it wasn't true?

Steve

PS. Chris, the 15" front brakes, 14" rear brakes, brake cooling ducts, Bilstein suspension, Hotchkis sway bars, 22" wheels, Pirellis, bolstered seats, 6-speed transmission, front splitter, and rear wing aren't there to pull horse trailers. The SRT-10 Ram was designed to be road raced and autocrossed. And the reason there are no Mustangs at the Lightning event is because even their Mustang brothers don't want to hang out with them. :2tu:

Viperam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"As for VOI, it is not a VCA event and you do not need to be a VCA member to attend. You do, however, need to be a Viper owner. So that opens up my next question: If you believe the TRUCK should be allowed at all of the events, does that mean that they should open it up to ALL SRT Ram owners whether they own a Viper or not? If so, it is no longer the Viper Owners Invitational and will lose one heck of a lot of Vipers in the process. It has nothing to do with being a snob, and everything to do with being a truck vs. a dedicated sports/exotic car. Oh, and we gladly welcome any and all SRT Rams to join our Kansas City VCA as associate members. But Vipers take priority at Viper events - even over our resident Murcielago, which is closer in purpose to a Viper. Just my humble thoughts..."

Sing it brother, and I agree with you. First, thanks for removing my ignorance regarding VCA-membership/Viper ownership and VOI attendance. Second, and more important are the points you raise which reinforce the REAL intent of my original post. These are questions as a club that need attention. 9Seconds raised a legitimate point with respect to DC's offering of the first 50 Ram SRT-10s to VCA members. Why VCA? Why not Ram owners, or SRT owners? Those questions are rhetorical, but DC (read Dodge) certainly perceives a connection. And is it the "Viper" aspect or the "SRT" one? That's the more relevant question because it has, as Bill Pemberton alluded to, the potential to affect Vipers (ala Meet sponsorship/support) no matter what we, the owners, have to say. After all, from their perspective it comes down to economics and sales.

If its a "Viper owners" event that's one thing, but a VCA event? Well, the can of worms opened when VCA accepted the DC gift of the first fifty SRT-10 Rams. Complicating even further is the fact that these vehicles are emblazoned with "VCA". Should owners of Vipers AND SRT-10 Rams be able to bring one or the other to Viper events? My vote would be "yes", but with the same caveats which are starting to coalesce in the discussion, specifically, no participation in the road/racing events. Cross country cruises and parades, "yes". Owners of JUST SRT-10 Rams do not pass the litmus test of 1) being a Viper owner or, 2) being a member of VCA. For future VCA events, this should be factored into the event planning. After all, the "first 50" Ram SRTs are VCA-specific vehicles. The proviso still remains though that the member has to belong to VCA AND ALSO own a Viper.

Being a member of the SRT-10 forum/club too, I can say, conversely, that I would expect to be able to bring my Viper to an SRT-10 event as well. But this really strays from the issue of greater importance. What happens when DC/Dodge consolidates support for meets to a "National SRT" event? In this scheme being a Viper owner doesn't result in an invite unless you also own any SRT, and being a VCA member isn't an automatic door opener either unless your snake is a SRT or you own a SRT. This is probably a good topic for the VCA leadership to address to DC/Dodge and the most valuable outcome of this thread. I like Viper events and the exclusivity of owning a Viper. But because Dodge implied they see a relationship between the VCA and the SRT-10 Rams, we should be prepared to prevent a split of the Viper breeds vis a vis a "SRT" organization which by way of economy becomes Dodge's sole focus for sponsorship. :usa:

OP
OP
F

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Am I remembering correctly, that the only vehicles on the "showroom" floor of the hotel for the last VOI were either Vipers or the SRT Ram? I can't remember if the Neon was there, but if it was, I didn't give it enough attention to remember. Point is, IF these were the only vehicles on the floor (inside the hotel, not outside), then Dodge obviously thinks there is a connection between the two.

But, if the SRT-4 was there, this connection may not be viable, nor would I support having a "rice type" car at the next VOI. Dodge may think so though. However, I would definitely enjoy seeing the VCA Ram, or plain Jane old SRT Ram there, able to partake of ANY activity offered. I would break up the monotony of all these cars looking the same (yeh, yeh, except for that S2000 looking thing)!

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And there was also that Jeep concept and a Ram dually out by the back entrance where they loaded the buses. Definitely not an SRT showcase, but a DC showcase. Don't forget that DC doesn't do the VOI strictly out of goodwill: This is a very large marketing event targeting some of their more visible, and probably wealthier clientele. No complaints here, just a side note.

9seconds - Thanks for the correction on the performance goodies on the SRT Ram. I knew it was a beast but have never had the opportunity to review the specs besides the engine and a few dress-up goodies.

I will also address Viperam's comments in that I do think they merit further discussion. I would also note that National IS discussing this very thing and that there has been open discussion about these issues amongst the regional officers. First off, I am in complete agreement that the SRT Ram can and should participate in regional VCA events where they are a member. This is especially true for a "fully vested" member that also owns a Viper and brought the SRT Ram in it's place. Viperam as a prime example. Whether it be Dyno Day, drag racing, a cruise, or even a good old fashioned road course - if the VCA member/Viper owner chooses to bring their Ram instead, then more power to them. For our associate members with Lamborghini's, SRT Rams, or whatever, we put the Vipers first in the pecking order where time and/or availability is a factor. I am not going to bump a Viper owner from Dyno Day because the associate member wants to dyno their Saab - or their SRT Ram. The key is that it is the Viper Club and that is our main emphasis and always will be. But I am applying that to the regional events.

In the case of the VOI, the challenge is that space is usually limited whether they sell out or not. I am somewhat impatient and I don't know that I would be thrilled waiting in line for one of the various "racing" events with several trucks in the mix in front of me. Sure, I would feel a little better if they were blue with white stripes, but it would still seem a little out of place in an event which has long been designated "Vipers only". Do you limit it only to "VCA Edition" Rams even though they are mechanically identical to the other SRT Rams? Again the challenge would be that if you open it up to the SRT Rams of Viper owners, why would you then stop non-Viper owners from bringing their SRT Rams as well? Doesn't seem fair and doesn't make a lot of sense. Of course ALL are welcome to bring their Rams, Hummers, Pintos, whatever. The question is the level of actual participation a non-Viper is granted, especially in those events where time and available space is a factor.

Good discussion!

OP
OP
F

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems fairly simple, at least in my mind --- if a fellow/lady is a Viper owner then they COULD/MIGHT bring their VIPER RAM to the VOI without a lot of difficulty, unless there are safety issues with track events, even though I wouldn't be able to understand that since the SRT will be allowed, but limited in speed.

My point is: the heart of this truck is Viper, it is factory built with the words "Viper Powered" on the hood (or some such words to that effect), and if a person is a VCA member and/or Viper owner, why not allow their participation? It would be a change, mix it up a bit, and you all know change is good. Chris, I suspect you wouldn't be waiting behind any old dually or Neon, but potentially a truck that could blow your doors off (talking drag strip here).

As you might read in between my words, I am interested as heck in getting one of these --- wish I hadn't cancelled my order. If I were to get one (right now, I will somehow), I would love to bring it to the VOI. Maybe let my wife drive the Viper. But I would like the Ram to participate if possible, and obviously it is being considered by "corporate", so vote me in!

9 seconds

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Then it must be OK for me to bring my 2004 Cobra and join in all the fun as if I had brought my Viper? :)

You really think a Viper powered Dodge built SRT vehicle and your Cobra are the same to Dodge? Are they to you? :confused:

I think some are afraid that the trucks will be faster on the track or will get more attention.

To comment on an important topic, the possibility of Dodge moving to a SRT event and dumping the Gen I/II would be a bad deal. We should make sure our VCA officers know that so they can lobby Dodge for keeping VOI's.

Reaction score
Then it must be OK for me to bring my 2004 Cobra and join in all the fun as if I had brought my Viper? :)

You really think a Viper powered Dodge built SRT vehicle and your Cobra are the same to Dodge? Are they to you? :confused:

Hmm, mostly rhetorical since I don't have a Cobra, sorry! :( . I guess my point is that a Viper Owner can bring ANY car they want (since it a VIPER OWNER invitational), though it is strongly suggested that a Viper Owner bring their Viper. If I did have Cobra, and I did drive it instead of the Viper, I would fully expect for the car (not me) to be excluded from any reindeer games. :)

Sorry....I apologize for being a little sarcastic in my first post. :)

Viperam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I don't think any snake owner should worry about a SRT-10 Ram on the track. Make no mistake, there's no mistaking the fact that there's a Viper engine under the hood, but the snake's still king at the track. And nothing draws a crowd like a raised hood to see those "Viper" emblazoned valve covers.

As a total aside, and regardless of your feeling about the SRT Ram at events, drive one if you get the chance. What a pleasurable driving experience! PVO did their homework on these babies. And they hug the crowd tenaciously in the twisties so I don't think anyone would be seriously delayed by one on a road course.

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since most if not all 50 SRT RAM VCA editions are owned by Viper owners it is a mute point to argue over. If an owner would rather show up in the truck that is his option. Wouldn't bother me a bit. Well maybe it would if there were a whole bunch in my Viper group photo I might not buy the photo. Now any ole person with just the regular SRT RAM and no Viper wouldn't be getting a invite anyways I would believe.

Viperam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And that's the crux of the argument "Hoosier". Ya gotta have a Viper . . . period. Doesn't matter what else is in your stable. Unless I'm totally wrong, you can't even be in VCA without having a Viper. So if you have the other incarnation of the Viper (the truck), that's good, but you gotta have the car first. I know we're on the subject of VOI and don't mean to limit the talk to VCA, but I agree with everyone here. Someone who has just a SRT-10 Ram or a few other non-Viper vehicles and the SRT Ram, and that's as close as they are to a Viper, does not participate in - or get invited to - Viper events.

Y2K3SRT, do you know the nature of the conversation at National's level? Is it about the possibility/impact of a "SRT-only" meet? That's really a BIG issue to wrestle with.

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I for one think that if Dodge goes to a SRT-only event they have not only shot their foot off, they've blown away their whole leg!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth