Starting Issue: Looking for some starting places plz

DrTaco

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok, here we go.

1)Battery died for KNOWN reasons while getting gas at a BP--->Jumped, taken home and replaced w/ new Diehard Gold. Started/idled for about 15 min w/o issue.

2) First drive under load after replacing battery. Got about 2 minutes down the road and the car just died, I mean..no indications/noises, just turned off and I coasted to a stop.

3) Would attempt to turn over but will not start after several attempts. While attempting to start, noticed oil light on. Checked oil level at roadside and found it LOW (as in, at the "add 2 quarts level"). No leaks, drips, puddles anywhere. Added 2 quarts at roadside and oil level back to normal, and at a little above safe level.

4) Towed home. Still wont start, just will turn over. I hear the buzzing of my fuel pump system during startup and oil level is still normal, perfect color. As I attempt to start her the oil pressure DOES still rise as I make each attempt after one another. Lights/stereo working fine.

5) ***? Cam sensor, crank sensor? Bad BP gas? When I changed the battery I used one of those cigarette plugs with a 9v to save settings. Fob still locked/unlocked doors after battery change. Dont think I need to disconnect the + battery and ground it, do I?

Looking for suggestions on where to start :crazy2: I have NOT pulled a plug yet, nor have I checked fuses. Any idea which ones to start with?

Thanks in advance while I wait for Tator to return call, mods in sig. I have a VEC, but as I understand, it will not come into play during startups

Mark

roller

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ASD relay? Swap horn or fog light relay with the ASD relay and try starting. Worked for me once.

Frank

Tail lights

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Disconnect the battery for 10 minutes and start overand start over.

Tail lights

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Disconnect the battery for 10 minutes and do not use the 9 Volt memory saver.

SEASNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No alarms, makes me think it wouldn't be a cam or cranks sensor. No misfire codes either. Hmm. Key Fobs not synched would let the car start for a moment before shutting off. Coil packs? Fuel pump not actually pumping? Check for fire and fuel first. ECU possibly too.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even though you don't have any codes, it could be the cam or crank sensors. If you get new ones, I think the cam sensor has to be positioned exactly as the OEM comes out. If you install it too deep, then it will break off the end.

OP
OP
D

DrTaco

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So, here's a new one. I was on my way to pickup a fuel pressure guage and decided to hop in the Viper to re-check the starting symptoms. Just for the heck of it I did the throttle position re-learn trick (key on, gas down) and started her and , you guessed it, she fired right up without issue. Sounded strong for 15 min. Shut her down, waited 10 min and fired her up again for another 15 minutes. Problems don't fix themselves, but it just added another layer to the problem. Switched from an Optima to a Diehard battery. Anyone had any issues because of the switch? Still aware it could a cam/crank sensor but now am I dealing with an intermittent one? haha