Sticky shifter = New transmission?

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took in my 05 viper in last week for an oil change and some other stuff. I mentioned to the mechanic that after coming back from a 3 week vacation, when I went to drive the Viper I noticed the shifter was very tough to change gears. They feel it my be due to a different type of transmission fluid they used in 05 and because I have the 7 year max plan they’ve decided to replace the whole new transmission. Now I’ve had this issue before but after driving it for a while it shifts easier again. My 100lb wife has more of an issue with it than I do.

Just wondering if anybody else has had this issue or feel that the cure could be worse than the disease? The car only has 15,700 miles on it.

OP
OP
Andrew/USPWR

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I honestly haven’t looked at the the fluid but it shifter better when hot and, the more it’s driven. I’ve also always done all scheduled maintenances on it.

My concern is all that entailed in changing out a transmission and will it all get put back together right? Maybe I’m paranoid but you know how we are about these cars.

Reaction score
Swap should be easy for any "qualified" tech, they won't mess with the clutch so pretty straight forward even I could do it. :rolaugh:

I honestly haven’t looked at the the fluid but it shifter better when hot and, the more it’s driven. I’ve also always done all scheduled maintenances on it.

My concern is all that entailed in changing out a transmission and will it all get put back together right? Maybe I’m paranoid but you know how we are about these cars.

Reaction score
Don't know the dealer but if they are pretty large and have a nice busy shop you should be fine. Talk with the service manager and see if he understands Vipers and the care you desire for the car. You will instantly know if this is the right place for you to do business.

So you would say go ahead and let them do it? It's Arrigo Dodge in WPB Fl.

OP
OP
Andrew/USPWR

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't know the dealer but if they are pretty large and have a nice busy shop you should be fine. Talk with the service manager and see if he understands Vipers and the care you desire for the car. You will instantly know if this is the right place for you to do business.

They are a 5-star Chrysler and the Viper tech has been there for a while. Of course the Service Consultants are new every time you go in. They seem all most to big.

I suppose I go forward with it.:dunno:

I wonder if they can throw in the 2010 5th gear.:rolaugh:

OP
OP
Andrew/USPWR

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
New transmission installed, wow. It shifts like a......... well, brand new transmission.
I quickly realized it never shifted smoothy.

New PS2 as well. Great tires

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have seen a few instances of this. First, it seems that older T-56's do seem to get sticky when cold, even after a fluid change. Usually these transmissions had something other than Mopar fluids in them at one point, or they were track cars.

Also, I have seen a few times where the shifter mechanism was installed in a new transmissions, and the RTV for sealing it made it up into the linkage, and made it pretty tight. This usually happens with aftermarket shifters, as they are often installed after the trans is already in the car when you cant see very well while installing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper