Stock Brakes ****....bad !!!

wesman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What are the best bang for the buck upgrades I can do ?

I just got new wheels/tires for the "fun" car (Viper) , so disposable cash is limited ( not to mention I just got new tires for the Lightning and roller rockers and a VEC II for the Viper in the last two weeks)

So, I'm looking for the best bang for the buck mods I can do to the brake system. As of now, they are completely stock with EBC Green on the front.

The car is a '00 RT10 with stock rotors etc., and obviosly no ABS :(

I imagine the rotors and everything are original factory, so they're getting up there in age.

What can I do on a "wife wont miss it budget" ?

--wes

SingleMalt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stock rotors are actually okay -- it's the front/rear bias that ***** most on these cars. Contact Tom F&L on this board (do a search for 40mm rear brakes). He'll hook you up with a set of high-displacement rears that will put a smile on your face and will be easy on the budget!

Have fun.

Mike

ViperBite

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A few choices:

Roe big brake upgrade kit. $1500.00

EBC rotors and pads, you have two choices on rotors from EBC.. A stock version with slots and dimples or a two piece unit from them. approx. 750-1200

Race car dave upgrade kit. Move your front calipers to the rear and get a SRT version on the front. around 2K I think.

Or you can get greens on the rear as well. There is another mod for the rears on non-abs cars. Can't remember who or what it was. Seemed to be a big enhancement in terms of performance. Do a search on brakes.

OP
OP
W

wesman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I've read about that rear upgrade before and is likely the route I'll go for now.

I'm leaning toward the rear 40mm upgrade with SS lines all around. That wont dent the budget too bad. I'm not sure on the rotors yet.

Thanks for the opinion.

--wes

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are a number of posts on brake kits. I did the Stoptech front only system when it came out a few years ago. It has two piece 13 inch rotors and bigger front calipers.

The braking performance is significantly better, although I needed to try a few different pads to find some that I liked - Pagids in this case, although I like Performance Friction products as well. I personally did not like the Brakeman 3 pads, but a lot of guys on this forum do. Also the Axiss Ultimates that came with the kit are not track worthy for hard driving.

Lookup is less of a problem with the Stoptechs as it is easier to modulate braking pressure with the larger and stiffer calipers. I flat spotted a tire at Thunderhill with the stock system and haven't done that since the big brake kit.

Jim

OP
OP
W

wesman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Bruce,

What do you suggest for pads? I want a low dust if possible and I've found the greens are lower dust than stock, and perform a bit better. I don't road race the car, just occasional drag racing and fun drives around some corners out in the country.

I am definitely going to do the SS lines right away and may go ahead and spring for the 40mm rear upgrade.

--wes

Hostile

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wesman
EBC greens do not stop better than stock,I
have greens on one car and stock on the other
and the stock are better by far for stopping.
The greens are low dust that is a fact.

Skeeter

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The stock pads are pretty good without going to something that eats rotors.Zaino on the wheels and car.Dust washes off easy.More interested in stopping than dust.Will probably do a stoptech big brake system one of these days.My latest mods were a new roof on the house,sinks,faucets,skylights..... GTS Bruce

Luke@tirerack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
spray Endust on a rag then wipe down the wheel helps to greatly reduce brake dust as well

BOGOTA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea the stockers leave alot ot be desired, I was actually thinking about going with a set of AP RACING 6piston 14" rotors. Very expensive but worth it. i had them on my Shelby Durango, and god did those brakes work.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The stock pads are pretty good without going to something that eats rotors.[...].More interested in stopping than dust.
Are you referring to EBC Greens eating rotors? What are you smoking? :cool: Greens are actually softer than the stock pads, and eat the rotors less than the stockers (trust me, 100k miles on Vipers, 25k on stock pads, the rest with EBC Greens). I've got an additional set of used rotors from another club member that upgraded his brakes, and have never needed them yet - after dozens of track events and 20 to 30 autocrosses.

Of course, being softer, they do wear out slightly faster, but not twice as fast, and for around half the cost - a net win in the long run.

For that matter, stock rotors cost so little and are just as easy to replace as pads, I would think that rotor wear is really not a big concern.

Some seem to think the stock pads stop as well as EBCs, I don't. Greens aren't significantly less effort (which is what some people seem to equate with "better"), but they continue to stop the car before locking up a lot better, and, more importantly, I've found its easier to "unlock" the tires once locked (i.e. not having to reduce brake pedal pressure as much) - I base this on my experience by dropping 1 to 2 seconds among my peers during autocross events, not flat-spotting tires any more :cool: , just by changing to Greens, as well as a LOT less lockups at the limit. I would feel that autocross abilities are more closely related to every-day driving than track work - lower tire and brake temps, etc.

Of course, neither stock pads nor EBC Greens are appropriate for track use, and thats another subject... One that I do not believe EBC Yellows (their racing pad, which I've used) excel at - the Brakeman pad seems to be better, but I've not tried it, and would have to defer to the experience of those who track their cars more than I.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My neighbor has Stoptechs on his '96 RT/10 and there isn't enough clearance for wheel weights on inside of rim (18" OEM or BBSLM's). I have Dave's SRT-10 brake kit, and don't have that problem. My neighbor says his times have gone up with the Stoptechs, and some say that is b/c he isn't used to braking so late or hard. That is probably true, although I have driven some 'race brake' cars where the brake feels like stepping on a brick for the first few laps and that is hard to compensate for since they change as your brakes warm up. I personally don't like that, which is why I chose something else, not to mention the price on Stoptech and Brembo kits. IMHO= a ripoff!

I am using Mintex up front and Brakeman #3 in rear (at ARCHER suggestion as most popular Comp Cpe setup), and the brake grip and feel is very good. I would say as good or better than my Carrera with Brembo kit, or Ferrari. When you put a big brake kit on, you have to cut off the tabs in the rear and there is no going back, but that would be like putting an 8 cyl in the car after going up to V-10 anyway. If you go with Dave's kit, be aware that the 'black' SRT-10 calipers are not the same 'glossy black' as the GTS calipers. The SRT-10's are a satin finish, so they don't match exactly. Also, although I had one very popular supplier warn me about 'flimsy' S/S brake lines on the market, that is definately not a problem with Dave's lines, which are excellent quality clear coated S/S lines. Jim