stock head unit

HPmopars

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NO it does NOT, but if you really want to get audio into the stock system they are some ways to do it. One of the easiest would be to use a wireless FM mod but quality usally a bit poor, so you can do a "wired" one for a bit more quality sound. They both will ony sound as good as the FM radio does.:(
In my 02 GTS I ripped out ALL the factory system and did an all Alpine audio/video system, because the factory system blows!;)

HPmopars

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is a pic of the back of the oem cd deck...
You must be registered for see images
[/IMG]
the round black plug is for the signal to the amp
the square white plug is the power harness
and the round silver hole is the antenna port

OP
OP
M

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HP thanks for the response this helps out a lot. I was exploring wired FM options but at the end of it all it was coming out to be not much less than just getting a new head unit with a front aux input. Since you went with a new alpine head unit, did you need to get a new harness as well or was the stock harness compatible.

darko, I like it to, however Im tired of using an FM transmitter to play my Ipod and now im looking into other options.

HPmopars

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know if any aftermarket company makes a harness. Every viper I worked on I had to "hard" wire the radio in. Even if you go with an aftermarket Alpine you will need to do this, because the plugs/wiring are different. The Din cable that sends signal to the factory amp makes it a bit tricky to do this, but I think there may be an aftermarket harness that will plug in to this cable but is not listed for a viper? It may be listed for a Stealth/3000GT.
In my viper since I went ALL aftermarket I ran ALL new wires/cables and basicly only needed to tap into switched/accessory power to make everything work.

Vman455

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know if any aftermarket company makes a harness. Every viper I worked on I had to "hard" wire the radio in. Even if you go with an aftermarket Alpine you will need to do this, because the plugs/wiring are different. The Din cable that sends signal to the factory amp makes it a bit tricky to do this, but I think there may be an aftermarket harness that will plug in to this cable but is not listed for a viper? It may be listed for a Stealth/3000GT.
In my viper since I went ALL aftermarket I ran ALL new wires/cables and basicly only needed to tap into switched/accessory power to make everything work.

Same here. I spent several weeks searching for a wiring harness, to no avail, and ended up hard-wiring the new harness in.

And, by the way, with 800 watts RMS going through six speakers and a 12" sub, I can hear my stereo now!

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I keep seeing these head unit threads. Maybe it's time to take out the ol' cassette deck!!

OP
OP
M

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for the info guys, ive been looking at crutchfield.com and checking out all their head units. they have some pretty wild stuff nowadays, definitely going to have to invest in a new unit!

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not sure if it's legal to operate a cellphone and drive there or not, but it's illegal in mnay states and Ontario. BC is making it illegal as I type.

Lousy Politicians! Anyway, I bought and installed Pioneer Premier DEH-P790BT and upgraded my speakers. Awesome sound and now I have Blue Tooth technology for my stupid Cell phone, Aux in, i-pod (Head unit includes cable) controlled through remote control unit and head's faceplate, Sirius, XM and TV capable. Awesome head unit for under $500. The stereo plays all the various music formats CD/MP3, etc. The Amp cable was a pain to solder, but I was told that an adapter was available (I recommend doing it that way).

I wired my ipod cable (included) into my GTS glovebox and you need only plug the i-pod unit cable and the Premier head unit will keep the battery charged, and everything works from the stereo and it's remote. This unit is also USB capable. There are 2 Bluetooth options (phone and audio) and this head unit works both. I could put music onto an SD chip and plug that into my Garmin GPS and play the music through my protable nav system's audio BT through my wireless BT audio in the head unit.

Instead I just listen to my Sirius Sat. radio. I-pod belongs to wife.

Ted

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
NO. The problem with the stock stereo is the speakers are really bad/cheap/junk. Factory amp and wiring works great!

It was difficult to solder the cable's wires because they're so thin and small, but I did it.

I changed the '01 head unit because the Blue tooth worked so good in my Stealth R/T TT that I 'had' to have one for my Viper. I could barely understand the conversation with my Motorola and once it was Blue toothed it was like the person was sitting in the passenger seat. Awesome clarity and the stereo turns itself down, car rings and when you say, "Hello" the car answers it! Completely automnatic. The head unit has battery, phone number, Reception, etc. all displayed on the faceplate.

Ted

OP
OP
M

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey ted, im guessing your head unit has a rear USB with ipod control is that correct? I understand that you can control the ipod from the radio itself, but can you use the controls on the Ipod to choose songs as well?

Vman455

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey ted, im guessing your head unit has a rear USB with ipod control is that correct? I understand that you can control the ipod from the radio itself, but can you use the controls on the Ipod to choose songs as well?

That depends on what head unit you buy. I have a JVC with a dedicated Ipod connection that lets you control it from the head unit, but not from the Ipod itself, and I believe most work that way. If you want to use the Ipod rather than the head unit, use an auxiliary input.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I believe the Premier allows both. I tested the ipod in my Viper and my daughter thaught that the ipod adapter was great in my Stealth. Once she realized that the remote also worked the ipod she held the remote in her hand the rest of the trip (5.5 hrs from Prince George).

The I-pod cable is about 6' long so the Ipod cable end goes in the glove box in both cars. Plug in the Ipod, close the lid and forget it.

Ted

darkostoj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe the Premier allows both. I tested the ipod in my Viper and my daughter thaught that the ipod adapter was great in my Stealth. Once she realized that the remote also worked the ipod she held the remote in her hand the rest of the trip (5.5 hrs from Prince George).

The I-pod cable is about 6' long so the Ipod cable end goes in the glove box in both cars. Plug in the Ipod, close the lid and forget it.

Ted
wow, that makes me want to upgrade my stereo now...

is there anyway you can do it without cutting/soldering any wires? I don't want to cut or do anything irreversible to my car in any way.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was tld by my stereo guy that he could order an adapter to plug the amp cable into (8 pin DIN plug?) and then solder those wires instead of chopping off the plug - like I did. I'm sure that with some searching you could find a 'kit plug' for the Alpine plug as it's probably made for Dodge's existing electrical conector.

I just went out in my garage and tested a connector cable from an Infinity Stereo system out of an 89 Pacifica Turbo Daytona. The DIN plugs fit. That would allow you to buy electrical connecotrs from any junkyard - or as stated by HPmopar, above, the Stealth TTs also came with an optional CD compnonent shich used a DIN plug as well.

Any good electronics guy could easily make connectors and plugs for you.

Ted

dilusi2002

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm getting jealous as well. What is everyone's favorite speakers to install in their snake?

Does anyone know a good installer in the NASA/Clear Lake area (south of Houston, north of Galveston)?

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think that any name brand speakers are great. Hertz were what my 'stereo guy' got for me. Larger than stock and I epoxied the larger tweeters into the door panels so that they come out if there's a problem. Larger speakers work better. PM if you decide you need instal info or part #s.

You could go to a stereo shop and work with them. It's always good advertising for them if they can tell people that they work on a Viper. My stereo guy worked for jobber cost and 10%. All manufacturer queries were done by the stores manager.

Ted

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth