Stock hp rating for 2000 RT10?

flatblack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm getting a full Belanger exhaust system installed as well as a smaller under drive pulley right now, and seeing what I can expect out of the viper. I wanted to see what the stock rwhp is for the RT/10. I know it's advertised as 450 hp, and I assume that's to the crank. Just not sure how much hp loss there is.

Talking with the tuner, I'm hoping to get an extra 80-100 hp with the full exhaust, pulley, and a performance tune. Does that sound accurate?

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your estimate is overly optimistic. Stock pwr should be in the 415 rwhp range. If you put down 450 rwhp on an accurate dyno I'd say you did extremely good.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's how tuners get people to buy stuff! I;d still recommend doing it but Camfab's guidance is good, if you set your expectations too high, you'll be disappointed even if the mods work exactly as they're intended. Good luck with the mods and let us know what the true diff turns out to be!

NVMYVPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take your advertised 450 and minus 15% to get a somewhat accurate "representation" of what your hp should be now. To get true numbers you will want dyno prior the install. As said before what your tuner told you is overly optimistic with said upgrades. Add greg goode heads and a cam to your exhuast and tune and you will be in the ball park of 500hp at the wheels. There are a lot of threads on NA builds to get Gen I's and II's to produce good power. I have a 96 RT myself but I have a Gen I motor instead of what you have. After asking these very same questions the single biggest upgrade you can do to take advantage of your other upgrades is to increase flow in the heads. By the end of summer I plan to be at/or just above 500RWHP. How: Heads, Cam, Intake, Belanger Headers and Full exhaust with deleted cats, and lastly a good custom tune. You might do some more research on the underdrive pulley. Everything I have read here does not support the underdrive pulley being a good upgrade for possible reliability issues that may hurt your engine. I am not an expert on the subject but there are many more folks here that have that knowledge and a search will turn it up for you. Good luck.

hyph

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Stock you are probably somewhere between 410-430 whp. Adding a full belanger exhaust system expect to be 430-450 whp. Sorry to burst your bubble, but there is no way you are making 100 with a full exhaust system, pulley, and tune.

LiquoRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With smooth tubes, ramdom tech highflow cats and an x pipe I got
436 hp and 471 torque on a Mustang dyno.

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good luck with the mods. I heard fom others on here that the pulley really won't do much for you??? If you put a high gloss shine on that car it will slip through the wind easier thus making it faster... Sorry, couldn't resist. Anyway, best of luck! :drive:

FastMatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my 2001 GTS put down 399 rwhp with just a corsa cat-back. No way are you going to get 100 hp from the mods you listed. Maby 30....

want to add 100 RWHP easy, install a NOS kit, a 125 shot will get you about 100 rwhp.

rpm9000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On my Gen.1 it dynoed 385 rwhp with only smooth tubes and K & N filters. I installed 1.7 roller rockerarms and Belanger headers, 3" Roe cats and Dynomax mufflers and got 418 rwhp.

Frank Parise

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna take a chance here and test my memory against other veterans on this site. As I recall, Dyno results have shown, on average, an 11% loss in HP between the flywheel and the rear wheels. For example, the GEN 2 motors were rated 450 HP at the flywheel. An 11% loss would be 49.5 HP, thereby resulting in RWHP of 400.5. This is not a precise number, instead an average that is reliable enough for decision-making. All motors and all drivelines are NOT created equal.

A great set of headers can be expected to produce an extra 30-40 HP at he flywheel. This translates into 27-36 HP at the rear wheels. We Dyno tested vipers before and after the simple addition of K&N air filters and often got results of as much as a 10 HP increase at the rear wheels.

Back in the arly 2000's we did serious Dyno testing of all vipers running in the Viper Days wheel to wheel racing series. These were GEN2 competition modified GTS coupes. Mods included full headers with no cats, smooth tubes, reworked air boxes and exhaust, but no internal engine mods. As I recall, the highest rear wheel Dyno was on Michael McCann's GTS at 459 RWHP. What made this test special was that all cars were dynoed together on the same day and on the same mobile Dyno which was brought to the track. Trust me, these racers were at the top of their game and knew how to extract the most power out of their cars without getting caught cheating.

Frank Parise

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
At my age, my memory works better on my second glass of wine. I can tell you that Lou Belanger makes fine headers! He would come to our track events and closely watch the vipers running his product. He is very competitive in nature. He constantly revised his product to produce superior results. The exhaust system behind the headers is very important! We would use different "pickles" in our side exhausts to produce superior acceleration exiting turns. Do not underestimate the importance of this when you are shaving tenths of a second off your lap times.

On another note, the simplest cheapest way to produce real seat of the pants feel in acceleration is doing a rear gear change. Different gears work better on different tracks. For a street car I would slap a set of 3.55's on the rear end and, whoa daddy, that's something you will feel, even more so than headers. It won't create more HP but it will accelerate you 15.63% faster (3.55 divided by 3.07). This assumes you have decent enough tires to translate the torque into forward motion.

It's late and this old Italian is signing out.

Ciao

Erick

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm curious who 'the tuner' is because it makes a difference, but with that kind of estimate I am not sure I'd want them tuning my car.

With headers, hi-flow cats, exhaust, cam, 1.7 rockers, smooth tubes, and a LOT of time from Todd at A&C he managed to squeeze 494 rwhp (yes corrected. yes verified. yes there is even a video of it) on my 2001 GTS.

Having seen a few others with similar mods as what you listed, I'd guess you will end up with 430-450, and that could be really dependent on who is doing your tune.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With GG heads/cam and good exhaust you ought to be well north of 500. I would say 500-575 RW......some have gotten over 600 with tuning but 550 is a very safe bet.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First off are you measuring the HP at the Flywheel or the Rear wheels?

I thought the factory figures were taken at the Flywheel?

On my 2000 GTS
Im running chrome smooth tubes and K&N cone filters, stock headers and turnouts, factory cats then Bellanger 3 Inch cat back rear exit system. I got 479 at the flywheel and 393 at the rear wheels.
You must be registered for see images

Since these figures I have removed the factory cats and will shortly be completing the full bellanger 3inch system, Headers etc.

If im realy honest I dont know how to read these figures, (weather these numbers are good or bad), I just had some fun with my friends that day at the dyno :)

Last edited:

Sam 01 RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My first '01 put down 432 rwhp with no cats or mufflers(loud, yes!), stock headers, tubes/filters, pullies, and a re-flashed PCM. I'd say 450-455 rwhp with those mods and a good tune.
:)

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car has been one of the highest HP cars with basic mods. I think it's from the SVS Race Only Headers and no cats. 461HP 507TQ. It has an 01' motor with only about 5,000 miles on it.