Stock Stereo clipping-HELP!

97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I switched out all of the stock speakers (in the doors and in the rear) of my 97 GTS. I have the stock Alpine head and when I raise the volume over 15 or so it clips out. I put beefier Alpines in the doors and Kicker mini subs replacing the rears. I also have the stock amp.

Don't know if this is a new or old problem or if the speakers have anything to do with it because I just got this car up and running.

Anyone know what is going on?

Ron

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you use speakers with the same impedance? If not the load on the amp will be different and some amps can't handle changes in impedance very well.

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what position is the little button on the amp, that makes a big difference too, I put Cerwin vegas in teh doors(components) & Polks in the rears & I played with the switch, It sounds great , but it will clip on some music over 28 in volume

OP
OP

97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what position is the little button on the amp, that makes a big difference too, I put Cerwin vegas in teh doors(components) & Polks in the rears & I played with the switch, It sounds great , but it will clip on some music over 28 in volume

Tried both positions on the button on the amp. Same results. Can't really hear the stereo much anyway: I converted to side exhaust and it is LOUD. Still would like to figure this out. Anyone else have any ideas?

Ron

CPPRHD265

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm thinking that you need to verify the Ohm rating (impedance) on the stock speakers to the replacements. I'm guessing that the headunit/amp is working a lot more to create the same volume with the new speakers vice the old. So by the time you get to the higher volumes it's running on it;s ragged edge and clipping. I bet your speakers are 4 Ohm or less, and what your replaced were 6 or 8 Ohm speakers... Just a guess mind you, I've never messed with my stock audio system in the Viper... Just other cars.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth