storage & flat spots

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just wondering how easily the tires will flat spot during winter storgae (if at all?) and what you do to prevent this? Is rolling it back 6 inches, leave for a couple weeks, then roll it forward - leave for a couple weeks, then keep repeating this process - will this work all right?

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Overinflation works like a charm. Just make sure you put a post-it on the window or steering wheel to remind you to lower the pressure before driving it.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
...... Is rolling it back 6 inches, leave for a couple weeks, then roll it forward - leave for a couple weeks, then keep repeating this process - will this work all right?

That will leave 3-4 flat spots ! Also, search FLAT SPOTS

1) Over-inflate to Sidewall MAX + 10 PSI.
2) Masking-Tape Reminder on Steering Wheel
3) Park on carpet-remnant squares. The thicker the better. or 2 per tire.
4) Alternative: If you have a Feed-Store in your area buy "Stall Mat" and cut in squares.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Or, you can buy the nice ($$$) tire mats in the magazines. Furthermore, unless you live in the mountains, you should be able to get your car out once every month and run around a bit, which you should do anyway. ;)

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tires on cut into quarters stall mats 2 deep.Need two mats.(Rubber 3/4 inch thick each.)Inflate to 45 to maximum.No problems. GTS Bruce

OP
OP
K

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That will leave 3-4 flat spots ! Also, search FLAT SPOTS

1) Over-inflate to Sidewall MAX + 10 PSI.
2) Masking-Tape Reminder on Steering Wheel
3) Park on carpet-remnant squares. The thicker the better. or 2 per tire.
4) Alternative: If you have a Feed-Store in your area buy "Stall Mat" and cut in squares.

So by following this procedure the car can sit for a few months, without moving, and it will prevent flat spots? And 10 PSI over max tire pressure is okay? I'd hate to ruin the new tires I just bought from you!
Thanks

OP
OP
K

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Or, you can buy the nice ($$$) tire mats in the magazines. Furthermore, unless you live in the mountains, you should be able to get your car out once every month and run around a bit, which you should do anyway. ;)

I live in the mountains!

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been in the car storage business since 1979 and have never had problems with flat spots since radial tires came out. They may feel bumpy for a couple miles but it goes away real quick and not a problem. No rolling around or overinflating done. Believe it or not cold weather is better for rubber and leather than the heat. Military store rubber parts for aircraft in cool refrigerated rooms. I have my Viper parked among 2 dozen Vettes and never have a tire problem in cold storage with any of them. We're talking some below zero, for years now..

OP
OP
K

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys.

In the past I had always staed the car and let it run for a while, every 2 weeks or so. Now I read that that's not the best thing to do so I will not move it or start it during the winter!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
....I've been in the car storage business since 1979 and have never had problems with flat spots since radial tires came out. They may feel bumpy for a couple miles but it goes away real quick and not a problem.......

I agreee w/ Ray, in that radial-tire storage flat spots are only annoying and temporary....once the tire flexes and drives and warms, the flat spots will go away. Til then there is a bit of annoying thumpata-thumpata, but no HARM done.

Conversely, the flat spots that DONT go away are caused by tire-smoke when braking too hard (or spinning), usually on the fronts, and usually the RF first.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been in the car storage business since 1979 and have never had problems with flat spots since radial tires came out. They may feel bumpy for a couple miles but it goes away real quick and not a problem. No rolling around or overinflating done. Believe it or not cold weather is better for rubber and leather than the heat. Military store rubber parts for aircraft in cool refrigerated rooms. I have my Viper parked among 2 dozen Vettes and never have a tire problem in cold storage with any of them. We're talking some below zero, for years now..

I've also been storing cars in the winter for over 20 years and have never had an issue with flat spots. No carpet underneath. No rolling back and forth. I usually fill to just below max sidewall. I have never had an out of round tire on start up in the spring.

Steve

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a few cars in storage. Some don't get driven for over a year at a time. No issues with flat spots on radial tires for me, and it gets hot down here in the summer.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As said above I also have had no problem with radial tires and flat spots. In the Nascar Modifieds we always jacked the car up between races so as to eliminate any flat spots on the tires but that was because we were running Bias belted tires and not radials.

Flying Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What will cause the tire to go out of round?
Will it go away after driving it like JonB stated?
I have an 06 w/ 1200 miles on it and just found the front tire is out of round. (we saw it when we put it on the balance machine)
The car is under warranty , should I bring it back?
Thanks

Flying Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No body knows what causes the tire to go out of round ? ( flat spot )
You say its not caused by sitting, and it was'nt caused by locking up the tires ( skidding,) what caused it?

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No carpet underneath. No rolling back and forth. I usually fill to just below max sidewall. I have never had an out of round tire on start up in the spring.
Steve

No issues here either. Perhaps its an underflation issue? :dunno:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456