Stupid question about rain

XLR8SN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know that this is a stupid question, but I have to ask. In Hawaii it rains often and even on a bright sunny day...you go to another district and its pouring over there. Its those darn mountains. :D Anyhow, in regards to the intake duct, the vents, and any other open areas, is it okay if they get soaked? :confused: Are there any drainage issues that I should be aware of?

When I was on another site, I remember laughing at questions like these...so talk about poetic justice.

Anyhow, any help would be nice. Also, how does the hood open? Whats the sequence? Everyone seems to mention on the care that needs to be taken when opening and closing the hood. When the car comes in from being shipped in a container, I want to be able to open the hood and make sure that everything is okay under there as well. I am getting really worried about how it will fare from the shipping people bringing it in for me.

I am still waiting for my 2000 Viper to come in. Wont be here till April sometime.

Thanks

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do not have factory air intake, thats something you want to check on yours. I do not believe rain should get into air intake on a factory system.

Open the hood with latch in grill. Pull down & hood opens about 3 inches. Second release handle can now be accessed under front of hood & the front can now be raised to second level. Now go to the rear of the hood & try to lift from the center of the hood.

When you close it make sure your hands are positioned over where the hood hinges meet the hood. DO NOT close hood like a normal car where you jus push down on the front.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is ok to drive a Viper in the rain. The intake has a baffle and drain spout.

If you are getting a RT/10 you might have some roof leakage. Some folks do, some don't. I keep a large towel in the trunk and toss it over the console when I drive in heavy rain to protect the switches. The towel is also good for draping over the windshield frame to protect it from scratching when installing the top.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We've been in torrential rain and have had no trouble with the intake. I think most GEN II RT/10 soft tops leak. However, they are much better than GEN Is. Our hard top does not leak. I've found over the years that every time you put the soft top on you get a different seal on the windshield. I've put it on where it was properly latched down and leaked immediately---lots. I've also put it on where it didn't start leaking for a half hour or so and then not much. I think the trick is to make sure you lay it on there as evenly as you can. I've even had some good luck with spraying the rubber seal with a water bottle to form a viscous seal. Seemed to last longer before leaking. The ultimate trick comes from a fellow Viper owner in the Motor City. It doesn't look the best, but works ...........black duct tape across the entire top of the soft top to the windshield. Works slick and is good for a few hours before the wind starts to make it flap any where it can get in.

Steve

OP
OP
X

XLR8SN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you for all the responses. Much appreciated. I heard that the intake duck should be okay, I was also worried about all the vents on the sides (where does it drain to?) and...is there another duct on the passenger side as well? You can see it with the hood up...but I dont know if there is an opening on the hood side.

Oh for the record its a 2000 ACR GTS. The K&N intake is going in.

The hood question was important as well...thanks for the answer. I will need to inspect everything before I sign off on the car from the docks. Wanted to be able to inspect under the hood as well. Do I push on the cowl area first? Last? Which latch latches last? I assume the front correct? So reverse order would be to push the cowl area down first, then push the grill area on the hinges? Darn...I need a pictorial diagram. Need to know how to do this before I get to the docks.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The hood air vent for HVAC use (passenger side) drains into the HVAC airbox and then into a small diameter hose at the bottom of the airbox. Torrental rain over a period of time will overwhelm this hose and ultimately flood the passenger footwell. Happened to most of the Vipers at VOI7 in Nashville. If the car had to be out in a rain of that type, I'd temporarily Saran Wrap the airbox top.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The hood air vent for HVAC use (passenger side) drains into the HVAC airbox and then into a small diameter hose at the bottom of the airbox. Torrental rain over a period of time will overwhelm this hose and ultimately flood the passenger footwell. Happened to most of the Vipers at VOI7 in Nashville. If the car had to be out in a rain of that type, I'd temporarily Saran Wrap the airbox top.

We have been in big rain---more times than I can count, but the Nashville VOI was the biggest. Our car sat uncovered the entire time, plus we did the parade---which was quite an experience--especially when we were thrown to the wolves for the ride back to the hotel. We must have been lucky. No leaking through the 'domestic' air box at all. There were GEN Is there with water half way up the side well in the car. Absolutely inundated with water. I think most GEN I leakage comes from the roof line down the forward part of the door and enters on the sides.

Looks like he's getting a coupe......so no roof issues anyway. We carry rags under the seat at all times in the RT/10.

Steve

OP
OP
X

XLR8SN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments in regards to the HVAC intake and all. Will make sure to watch for that. I assume that as long as you are moving at a decent speed, the water should not build up in there.

Where does the fender vents drain to? They are functional right?

Can anyone please post pictures on the hood release levers and all with sort of a step by step instructions along with it? Damn I feel stupid having to ask how to open a hood, but, I will need to know this by the time it comes in.

Thanks again for all of the help.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No need for pictures...

the grill on your Viper makes a "crosshairs" of sorts. The first release handle is in the upper right quadrant of the crosshairs as you look at the car, you can't miss it. Pull downward on that one to release the hood from the fully closed position. At that point, you'll see a "cutout" in the front of the hood just inboard of the drivers headlight. Stick your hand in that cutout and you'll feel the 2nd lever. That one moves toward the centerline of the car (i.e. towards the emblem). While pushing that lever, pull gently up/forward on the hood with your other hand and the hood will come up the rest of the way in front (about 3 more inches). At that point, the guides and locks are clear in the rear of the hood and you can lift the rear of the hood straight up. Stop lifting before the nose of the hood contacts the emblem. If you have a buddy with you, best to use 2 people to lift the hood, otherwise, I try to lift from the center (which is tough, but I'm tall, so that helps.)

While the hood is open, take note of the where the hood attaches to its' mount/hinge. This is where you put your hands when closing.

When closing, lower the rear of the hood all the way. The guides in the rear lock via the rearward motion of the hood when you push the front down/back, so they're not engaged yet. Now move to the front of the vehicle. If you have a big towel, or two small ones, put them on the hood just aft of the naca (intake) duct roughly on top of the hinges. I usually give the hood a slow gentle push about the first 2 inches to make sure the rear latches are lined up and engaging, then I give the hood a good push straight down to latch the front.

That's it!

The fender vents (not the naca duct) drain onto the tire well covers. I don't know how functional they are, but they sure look good.

As for the "speaker grill" vents, only the passenger side is functional, the driver side is there just for symmetry, there is not a hole in the hood on that side.. I think the drain in my housing is blocked because every time I wash my car, my passenger side floorboard gets wet. I need to address that.

OP
OP
X

XLR8SN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks a lot. I needed those facts and directions. I guess opening or leaving the hood open on a windy is NOT recommended too. :p

Sounds like this is going to be a fun car...but...needs a lot of attention and maintenance as well. I guess that comes with the territory per se. I cant see a Ferrari being like a Toyota either.

Thanks everyone. I am slowly getting excited waiting for it to arrive. Another month or so though.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen 1s have been known to have drainage issues from the roof.

Gen 2s can be driven in the rain. I drive it when it rains to get my freebie carwash. There is no drainage issue other than from under your tires, especially if they are old and worn. Drive cautiously in the rain because the backend loves to switch places with the frontend.

As to maintenance, I think the Viper is very sturdy and requires very little maintenance. Not sure where you are getting that info.

Hawaii huh? Hot chicks, hot car, all year round. You lucky bastage! :2tu:

OP
OP
X

XLR8SN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:D Hot chicks?? Well more like hot weather...but ahhh I can't complain. :D

When I mentioned maintenance, I was refering to the need to be careful about things here and there. I have been told to watch for the drivers side weather seals, possible leakage from the intake for the HVAC in hard rain, battery run down if not started for some time, and just small things here and there. Toyota's on the other hand...you can just pretty much abuse them, and they will still turn over when you start them and run almost forever.

Whats a good polish for the polished aluminum rims from HRE? I am going to have powdercoated centers...will the Mothers PowerBall remove this if I use it for the rim lips and the ball rubs on the centers??

Gosh I feel like an idiot asking these questions. On another forum...I was the one providing the answers to people like me here. Talk about a role reversal. :bonker:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235