Suede/Leather Seat Care

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do you folks do, that have suede and leather trimmed seats, with regard to treating (cleaning and preserving) the leather portion? Is there a common method of masking the suede from leather products?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got my new seats done - some pics to follow in Gen 2 forum later - with suede centers and leather side bolsters. And I had already had the same thought as your question pertains to.

My plan at this point is to continue using the Griot's leather care product, and to prevent getting it on the suede take a thick bath type towel and stuff it into the seams to cover the suede. The rest of the success of that will be by just being plain careful.

I've also gotten pretty good at removing the seats - lowering kits, Dynamat, upholstery work etc - so might just yank them to clean them. Perfect time to clean under them too when they are out.

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The suede should hold up just like leather. Most suede nowadays is synthetic. Actually lasts longer than true leather suede. Getting a little leather conditioner on the suede should not be a big deal. A medium brush will freshen up the suede and make it look like new.

If you get any stains on the suede/leather, try BleachWhite. Obviously, test it in an inconspicuous place first. You can get it at any PepBoys/Autozone. I also use a low-grade solvent I get through an interior shop. Will get the name of the solvent, if you need. Good for cleaning tough stuff like glue.

I have a dealership for Adam's polishes. If you need any products from them, PM me. I have to advertise list price, but can work on price in other ways. They make a real nice leather cleaner and leather conditioner.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got my new seats done - some pics to follow in Gen 2 forum later - ....

it's about time dave, we need some oohhh and aahhh of viper mods threads these days

The suede should hold up just like leather. Most suede nowadays is synthetic. Actually lasts longer than true leather suede. Getting a little leather conditioner on the suede should not be a big deal. A medium brush will freshen up the suede and make it look like new.

If you get any stains on the suede/leather, try BleachWhite. Obviously, test it in an inconspicuous place first. You can get it at any PepBoys/Autozone. I also use a low-grade solvent I get through an interior shop. Will get the name of the solvent, if you need. Good for cleaning tough stuff like glue.

I have a dealership for Adam's polishes. If you need any products from them, PM me. I have to advertise list price, but can work on price in other ways. They make a real nice leather cleaner and leather conditioner.

this is good advice, on the suede, brush anything that can be brushed clean, mask, towel it to keep from absorbing cleaning fluids

pics by any chance :dunno:

OP
OP
C

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of the local members suggested Kiwi suede protectant when I first got the car. I must have laid down 2 small spray bottles worth on the seats over the course of several hours as each application dried. Must admit that after 10,000 miles, it still looks new.

I'm suprised. Guess Thompson knows what he's taking about regarding the strength of the synthetic.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235