Suggestions for fixing my stanchion cover?

Bugman Jeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got a new used door shell for my '97 GTS, and I'm swapping my old parts into the new door. Taking my old door apart, I discovered that the screws for the inner stanchion cover were loose. Turns out the "nuts" that are supposed to be molded into the outer stanchion cover are broken off, in fact as you can see in the pic, the whole area is sheared off the cover. The weatherstrip is nearly perfect, so I don't want to replace the whole outer cover. I'm thinking of using some epoxy or JB Weld to glue some new nuts to it. Anybody run into this before? Any other suggestions for a fix? Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• SAM_1074.JPG
    SAM_1074.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 67

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are some really good products for the auto body trade. Find a body shop with some plastic adhesives, they work far better than a simple epoxy or JB weld.

OP
OP
B

Bugman Jeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hadn't thought of that. I've used various Fuzor brand products many times gluing cars back together, I'll have to see if they make anything in a caulk gun sized tube.

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You'll need to get a special caulking gun for what you are wanting. You can get them on ebay and amazon for around $50 plus shipping. Then the tubes of adhesive are at least $40 a tube!

I just recently used 3M 08223 adhesive and it worked to bond metal and wood to plastic.

Good stuff, just expensive!

red50trimsrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
look up plastex. I used it on my inner stanchion which was in multiple pieces.

OP
OP
B

Bugman Jeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It just occurred to me that these parts are ABS, and the best glue for ABS is...ABS. It melts readily in acetone, and by dissolving ABS chunks in it, you can make an ABS paste that will chemically bond to the panel. If you've got LEGOs around, you've got a ready supply of ABS :)