Switching tires side to side

Nase62

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am having the wheels customized on my RT/10 and I was hoping to get some feedback on remounting the tires. I have Michelin Pilots, about 25% worn, looking like they are wearing evenly. I know that directional tires cannot be "rotated" on the vehicle in the conventional method, but my question is: Since I have removed the tires from the wheels, should I remount the tires placing them at the exact corner on the car that they came from, or take the opportunity to move LR to RR, RF to LF, etc...? Thanks folks, Mark

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SOunds like a good opportunity to do so. The fronts especially wear unevenly normally. The inside should show quite a bit more wear. Swapping sides should even it up some and provide more life. FYI - my front have lasted about the same as the rears without swapping and I have replaced complete sets each replacement (note the version changes each time as well).

lleone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought the Pilots were uni-directional. Taken from the TireRack web site: "One of the most obvious features of the Pilot Sport is its directional tread design". Doesn't actually say if it must be run uni-directional, just that the design of the tread is.

Anyone, anyone, Bueller? ...

Lou

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are unidirectional. In fact, I just put tires new tires on my car and there is a big arrow labeled rotation for the direction they should be mounted on the car.
If you switch the tires sides the rotation will be incorrect.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, unidirectional, but side to side OK if you REMOUNT the tires so the direction is correct on the rims............

XS TORQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark -
That is exactly what I did, as my tires were wearing considerably more on the inside than the outside. From your post, it is obvious that you know the tires are directional. This is the best time to do it, since you have them off the rims! By doing that, I have been able to get ~2 sets of rears and 1 set of fronts to wear out about the same time.

lleone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, unidirectional, but side to side OK if you REMOUNT the tires so the direction is correct on the rims............

D'oh... thanks Jay. I missed that bit about remounting. Not a bad idea actually. That's what I get by posting before Noon...

Lou

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235