Tech Tip From Rich Carlson reguarding "Car won't idle"

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tech Tip From Rich Carlson reguarding \"Car won\'t idle\"

If you have a Gen 1 car that won't idle... at all, or not very well, here is your fix. This problem will not show up until your car has a few mile on it. It occured at the 29,999 mile mark on my '95 RT/10.

1) Remove the intake tubes from the T-bodies. (I find it easier to just remove the entire air filter housing as an assembly)

2) Open the T-blades and clean out the carbon deposits in the T-bodies with "sensor safe" carburator cleaner.

3) Remove the Air Bypass Valve and clean the carbon off the pintal. Its the
round cylinder thingy on the right side of the manifold behind the throttle body, but in front of the right valve cover. It is tilted on a 45 deg angle. When you remove this valve, be carful not to lose the O-ring that acts as a seal between the valve and the housing.

4) Put everything back together, start her up, and hold the idle at about
1000 RPM for about minute.

5) Then see if it will idle.

6) You may have to drive around a little bit to restore the adaptive memories.

You'll need a few hand tools and a Torx driver that is long and narrow to get to the screws mounting the air bypass valve. But other than that, it's pretty straight forward, and will make your car idle smoooooth again. It sure worked great on my car.

I had to make few drives before it would idle perfectly, the first few drives, it would drop to near zero before returning to a normal idle. Now it just drops to idle immediately.

I have to do something similar on my minivan every few years too.......

viper spray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Tech Tip From Rich Carlson reguarding

Use sensor safe throttle body cleaner , or do like I do and use NOS! It keeps all that stuff spotless!!

Sniper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks for the tip Jay!
I was just going to make a post tonight asking about this very thing.
My car runs great, except here recently when I stop, my car has been dying. It seems like it's the idle, because it idles fine and then it'll just drop.

Jay Lopez

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Tech Tip From Rich Carlson reguarding \"Car won\'t idle\"

I had the same problem with my GTS, and Rich have me the same tips. Worked great!

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I would also suggest while your doing this cleaning process, disconnect the computer. I have done this and my idle has not dropped off yet. Gives the computer a chance to reset parameters(sp).

Rich Carlson

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey Jay, may be we need to have a tab under the "How To" for some easy "Maintenance Issues" that the owners can perform themselves before going to the dealer. What do you think?

OP
OP
J

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey Jay, may be we need to have a tab under the "How To" for some easy "Maintenance Issues" that the owners can perform themselves before going to the dealer. What do you think?

Sounds like a winner to me...... let's discuss.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave